PDA

View Full Version : Mic recommendation for Sony HVR-A1U?

dummkopf
2008-06-04, 10:51 AM
Does anyone have microphone recommendations for the Sony HVR-A1U (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Professional-HVR-A1U-Definition-Camcorder/dp/B000ENON1A/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1212594340&sr=8-1) camera? It comes with a decent quality Sony ECM-NV1 monaural electret condenser microphone but I'd like to think that there's equipment out there to significantly boost the audio quality. any recommendations? the price doesn't matter soooooo much.

saltman
2008-06-04, 11:23 AM
I recommend recording it with a separate rig. With a camera that small it is going to be extremely cumbersome having real mics on it. It has XLR so you can use whatever mics you can afford. The mics should match the recording situation. up close requires something different than far away.

Nak shotguns are common. but you can do whatever you want.

dummkopf
2008-06-04, 11:40 AM
my recording situations are mostly up close to the band. what would be the preferable mic for that in a $800 to $1,500 ballpark?

AAR.oner
2008-06-05, 06:07 AM
i'm with saltman re: running the mics separate...a camera-mounted mic isn't ideal for concert situations, since any movement of the camera will result in a change in the audio

dunno if you've seen the Gear Lust forum, but there's many mic possibilities there:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=52104

a single-point stereo mic can be used if yer not needing a shotgun mic...something like the Rode NT4 can work [i've never used one for this personally, but have heard it delivers good results]...i've also heard of folks who have rigged up mounts on their cam for a pair of miniature condensers [DPA, Schoeps, etc]

but running mics on a stand separate would be yer "best sound quality" route

dummkopf
2008-06-05, 07:08 AM
thanks, that's helpfull to a degree.

saltman
2008-06-05, 02:42 PM
a camera-mounted mic isn't ideal for concert situations, since any movement of the camera will result in a change in the audiothis is a really big deal. I guess I should have stressed this point.

If you are recording music this is a deal breaker for me. If you are recording a horse race it might not matter so much.

If you have permission to record with a video camera, why not do the audio separate?

dummkopf
2008-06-05, 02:57 PM
for several reasons actually... but I get your point.