PDA

View Full Version : Video from television programs

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 08:41 AM
Is the name of the television program allowed in the torrent title?
For instance, "The Today Show" "VH1 Legends" "Night Music" "Old Grey Whistle Test" "One On One With John Tesh" etc.?
I would like to seed many videos from television programs which I have recorded. :)

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 09:34 AM
My video seed was re-named by someone else last night from "David Crosby One On One With John Tesh" (The actual name of the broadcast) to "David Crosby - Interview" then to "David Crosby - Los Olivos" . The date listed was 10-8-91, which was the date of the broadcast. To change the title to "Los Olivos" indicates that it was taped on that date, which it was not. I try to make every effort to be specific in the lineage of my video uploads, as these are documents of history and should be preserved as such - including the manner in which they are posted.

U2Lynne
2008-05-31, 10:04 AM
Hmmm, there is a thread like this in Site Announcements.

It is probably best to just leave the thread title for just the band name, date, venue and then the added (FLAC), (SHN), (PAL), (NTSC), (RESEED), etc that gets added. Go ahead and put any other information into the thread body. You don't want the title really long, you just want it as a short blurb to identify the thread.

showtaper
2008-05-31, 10:21 AM
Hmmm, there is a thread like this in Site Announcements.

It is probably best to just leave the thread title for just the band name, date, venue and then the added (FLAC), (SHN), (PAL), (NTSC), (RESEED), etc that gets added. Go ahead and put any other information into the thread body. You don't want the title really long, you just want it as a short blurb to identify the thread.

A real fear is that the television production companies will come after TTD
just as they have youtube and other sites to take down their copyrighted
material. If the torrent name is generic, it is less likely to draw attention.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 10:29 AM
So is the venue the NAME of the program like "Old Grey Whistle Test"? or LOCATION of the venue - "Shepard's Bush, London". And is it "Best" or "Required". I'm confused. In the past I have seeded the following videos without incident. Wouldn't it be a bit vague and more importantly, unhelpful to members if I named "Grace Slick - The Joan Rivers Show" "Grace Slick - CBS Studios, Los Angeles, CA"? There was no problem with these torrents I put up. Why is there a problem with my new David Crosby torrent? The only explanation I got from any staff member other than you Lynne, was "your ratio seems to be slipping a hair."

Grace Slick 1990-06-12 Joan Rivers Show
BB King 1993-02-04 Street Stories
Grateful Dead 1987-07-14 Evening Magazine
Bill Graham 1986-06-11 West 57th CBS
John Lee Hooker xxxx-xx-xx Tonight Show & Sunday Morning
Traffic 1994-xx-xx VH1 To One
James Brown 1996-xx-xx Jerry Springer Show
BB King 1991-11-13 Later with Bob Costas
Pete Townshend 1996-05-03 Late Night with Conan O'Brien
Charlie Watts 1993-10-26 Later with Bob Costas
Grace Slick 1998-09-18 Late, Late Show
Bob Marley 1987-10-27 West 57th CBS
Various xxxx-xx-xx Top of the Pops
David Crosby 1993-01-19 Whoopi Goldberg Show
Various Artists 1980s Solid Gold In Concert
Crosby, Stills and Nash 1987-10-03 West 57th CBS
Simon & Garfunkel 1993-09-30 Dateline NBC
Grateful Dead 1985-xx-xx West 57th
The Rolling Stones 1989-09-22 20/20
Keith Richards 1996-xx-xx VH1 to 1
The Moody Blues 1986-xx-xx Cover Story
Paul McCartney 1986-xx-xx Cover Story
Ray Charles 1994-07-06 "Now"

tgunn2760
2008-05-31, 10:32 AM

I believe the FAQ in video torrents states that you cannot upload entire TV shows like the Junos or other awards programs. You can upload the music segments, but not the entire shows.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 10:35 AM

If that is the case Lynne, then all torrents with Old Grey Whistle Test, VH1, Rockpalast and on and on should be edited with "generic" titles. I think it's just a case of one particular moderator who has openly stated that he dislikes me, giving me grief. I'm trying to share interesting content here and I don't like being treated with disrespect for doing so.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 11:18 AM
If it's okay, Id like to seed the torrent as I originally seeded it "David Crosby - One On One With John Tesh". Nowhere in the text file does it now, or has it ever made mention of Los Olivos. Please advise. Thank you.

tgunn2760
2008-05-31, 11:21 AM
If this is about the Crosby torrent, the explanation given is that it was pulled because there was no activity.

I don't think it has to do with the nature of the TV program, I have seen many "Behind The Music" torrents seeded here.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 11:50 AM
There was no activity because I didn't seed a torrent by the name that a mod chose to name it. I seeded a torrent that I named. I was hoping that the staff would deliberate the fate of my seed and allow me to name my own torrent, from my own collection with it's PROPER TITLE. It was getting late here in California so I went to bed. They made the decision to pull the torrent while I slept. I would like to re-seed the torrent today as it was originally seeded, before it was tampered with - without even a PM to me (which would have been a considerate gesture). I think this was about me and not the David Crosby video. Why else would the "Bonnie Raitt - Old Grey Whistle Test" torrent be allowed without a proper edit to the generic "Bonnie Raitt - Shepard's Bush, London".
Seems pretty obvious to me.

U2Lynne
2008-05-31, 12:27 PM
I really think it's best to just have the title something like "David Crosby yyyy-mm-yy (NTSC) and then if you select Interview, it shows up as a DVD-Int in the little icon. Go ahead and put all the information about what the program is and who interviewed him and any other miscellaneous stuff in the thread body.

Let me just tell you a little about the moderation.... we actually go through all the threads here and then 'mark' them after they are read. That way, the moderators don't go through the same shows over and over again. Whichever moderator is online goes through the threads in 'their' forum. Joe is a little bit more title-format oriented than Jonathan. It's just a preference of his. If Jonathan had gone through the shows, he might have left it or modified it - who knows. I would not take it as something against you, vlad, because many titles get modified, you just don't notice it because they weren't 'your' titles.

The VBT and ABT forums are now hidden from google, but I did open them up to the RSS feed. I do think it is best to be as generic as possible in the thread titles since it is the thread title that gets 'fed' into the RSS feed. I'd rather not have something in there that might raise a flag somewhere if any networks happen to be pulling them.

Dubwise12
2008-05-31, 12:31 PM
Seems strange of me vlad, but maybe it is just odd timing or PPL being busy and just not getting to this issue. I never got a word back from a few mods about my Peter Tosh Vid I uploaded and had pulled because it was thought to be encoded from PAL to NTSC, but I sent messages to at least one mod. about how the vid was made by Peter Tosh's engineer by Jamaicans who use NTSC format. I think sometimes things just slip through the cracks.

tgunn2760
2008-05-31, 12:32 PM
I really think it's best to just have the title something like "David Crosby yyyy-mm-yy (NTSC) and then if you select Interview, it shows up as a DVD-Int in the little icon. Go ahead and put all the information about what the program is and who interviewed him and any other miscellaneous stuff in the thread body.

Let me just tell you a little about the moderation.... we actually go through all the threads here and then 'mark' them after they are read. That way, the moderators don't go through the same shows over and over again. Whichever moderator is online goes through the threads in 'their' forum. Joe is a little bit more title-format oriented than Jonathan. It's just a preference of his. If Jonathan had gone through the shows, he might have left it or modified it - who knows. I would not take it as something against you, vlad, because many titles get modified, you just don't notice it because they weren't 'your' titles.

The VBT and ABT forums are now hidden from google, but I did open them up to the RSS feed. I do think it is best to be as generic as possible in the thread titles since it is the thread title that gets 'fed' into the RSS feed. I'd rather not have something in there that might raise a flag somewhere if any networks happen to be pulling them.

How should R.E.M. at ACL be named? It aired last night.

I assume: R.E.M. Austin City Limits 2007 (I don't remember the date it was taped but do have it saved someplace).

U2Lynne
2008-05-31, 12:36 PM

I assume: R.E.M. Austin City Limits 2007 (I don't remember the date it was taped but do have it saved someplace).
I would probably just put REM in the band title, put in the date (probably the date of the show, not the air date) and put the venue in where it asks for venue. Then in the first couple lines of the thread I'd state the air date and that it was on ACL.

paddington
2008-05-31, 12:38 PM

^^^ Look, there is no hard and fast rule, but the torrent upload form will name it they way it should be, in most cases. We take everything on a case by case basis.. in general, the FAQ is the governing set of guidelines.

The torrent upload form will name the show the way it generally needs to be named. If you want to add or subtract from that, go ahead. If the forum's mod thinks it needs to be modified, he/she will mod it.

Don't stress over this... upload away... your torrent will be assimilated.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 12:41 PM
Dubwiser, you better go fix that title of the new Stevie Ray Vaughan audio torrent. Nobody cares if it's from ACL anyway.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 12:43 PM
^^^ Look, there is no hard and fast rule, but the torrent upload form will name it they way it should be, in most cases. We take everything on a case by case basis.. in general, the FAQ is the governing set of guidelines.

The torrent upload form will name the show the way it generally needs to be named. If you want to add or subtract from that, go ahead. If the forum's mod thinks it needs to be modified, he/she will mod it.

Don't stress over this... upload away... your torrent will be assimilated.

Case by case huh? Everyone else has a case, but vladsmythe/Graceful Duck Archive has a different case. I understand.
If I seed Bruce Hornsby on Regis and Kathie Lee, I think that is much more interesting to members than Bruce Hornsby - ABC Television Studios, New York.

roomful
2008-05-31, 12:48 PM
It's been my experience that audio torrent thread titles don't get modified, but video torrent thread titles do. I think this has to do with a perfectionist tendency by certain mods. ;)

Bottom line: it's such a small issue. Better to upload your video with a modified thread title than not upload it at all IMO. :)

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 12:52 PM
It's been my experience that audio torrent thread titles don't get modified, but video torrent thread titles do. I think this has to do with a perfectionist tendency by certain mods. ;)

Bottom line: it's such a small issue. Better to upload your video with a modified thread title than not upload it at all IMO. :)

I agree. So let's clean up the mess of active video torrents with actual TV program names asap so we can eliminate the double standard of case by case judgements by different mods. I think uniformity is a good thing.

tgunn2760
2008-05-31, 12:53 PM
Case by case huh? Everyone else has a case, but vladsmythe/Graceful Duck Archive has a different case. I understand.
If I seed Bruce Hornsby on Regis and Kathie Lee, I think that is much more interesting to members than Bruce Hornsby - ABC Television Studios, New York.

You can put that info in the thread, and the text file.

I would put "Crosby TV Interview" and the date it aired, since you don't know when it was taped.

Then in the thread, put in the rest, "One on One with..." whatever the show was, plus other details.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 12:59 PM
You can put that info in the thread, and the text file.

I would put "Crosby TV Interview" and the date it aired, since you don't know when it was taped.

Then in the thread, put in the rest, "One on One with..." whatever the show was, plus other details.

Excellent suggestion. I'll do that when "Old Grey Whistle Test" is changed to "Shepard's Bush, London". That TV show should be contained in the text and thread only. All the VH1 Legends seeds too. They should be re-named "***** documentary".

paddington
2008-05-31, 01:09 PM
Excellent suggestion. I'll do that when "Old Grey Whistle Test" is changed to "Shepard's Bush, London". That TV show should be contained in the text and thread only. All the VH1 Legends seeds too. They should be re-named "***** documentary".

hey - actually, you'll just live with whatever happens. You;ve been pretty shitty about this. You want the entire site modified because you don't like how your interview torrent was named?

What you should have done is just PM the video mod that changed your title and say, "I'd really like it to include the show name, if possible" and you'd have received your answer. The end.

It's not like your torrent got pulled. You whine enough for everyone here, combined. I think Lynne has given you the answer you need. It isn't your place to demand that every thread on the site be changed to 'match' anything.

We stick pretty close to our guidelines, but we do deviate when we feel like it is necessary. If you don't like it when it happens to you, talk to the person that did it in a civil manner. Do not demand anything or spout ultimatums.. the result will *never* be in your favor, either here or in life, man.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 01:16 PM
1. The mod that changed the title never identified himself/herself.
2. I have not spouted ultimatums.
3. I have been very civil. When I PMd you with my displeasure about how I believe a certain mod singled me out, this was your response:
"well, you ratio has actually gone down a hair, so you might want to re-group..."

U2Lynne
2008-05-31, 01:27 PM
2. I have not spouted ultimatums.
3. I have been very civil. When I PMd you with my displeasure about how I believe a certain mod singled me out, this was your response:
"well, you ratio has actually gone down a hair, so you might want to re-group..."
As I said before, sometimes the titles get changed if a Mod feels it is better for it to be more general. I seriously don't know what the big issue is here.

As for the ratio comment, I think everyone here knows that it is a way to joke with you - take a poke at your ratio. If you can't take the joke, then.... well, I don't know vlad - perhaps we should make a Site Announcement that NoOne Should Joke with Vlad? Or just lighten up a bit Bill and stop assuming everyone is being negative towards you.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 01:32 PM
Okay, I just PMd Jonathan per James suggestion and asked "I'd really like it to include the show name, if possible". Now I'll just have to wait. I'm done with my rant.:)
Have a great day.

mooncusser
2008-05-31, 02:22 PM

hey - actually, you'll just live with whatever happens. You;ve been pretty shitty about this. You want the entire site modified because you don't like how your interview torrent was named?

What you should have done is just PM the video mod that changed your title and say, "I'd really like it to include the show name, if possible" and you'd have received your answer. The end.

It's not like your torrent got pulled. You whine enough for everyone here, combined. I think Lynne has given you the answer you need. It isn't your place to demand that every thread on the site be changed to 'match' anything.

We stick pretty close to our guidelines, but we do deviate when we feel like it is necessary. If you don't like it when it happens to you, talk to the person that did it in a civil manner. Do not demand anything or spout ultimatums.. the result will *never* be in your favor, either here or in life, man.
maybe vlad wants to start his own forum and tracker where he can make up his own rules and run the show. :rolleyes: the paranoia and victim mentality are sooooo tiring...

artist/date/venue is what's relevant to most people.

all the other stuff belongs in the info file/show details, which anyone can use in a search to identify a given program.

paddington
2008-05-31, 02:33 PM
I suppose you picked his name out of a hat, then, when you PM'd me about it, using his name?

2. I have not spouted ultimatums. read up a bit, where say you won't seed your torrent until all the other titles you mentioned are changed.

You know posting PMs in public forums is a no no... but since you just keep re-posting it anyway, out of context, I'll post the entire PM, so people reading this can see you brought up the subject before I said that:

well, your ratio has actually gone down a hair, so you might want to re-group... :lol:

I'll mention it to him, but you really should contact him yourself if you have issue with how's he's modding. I'm sure he's just keeping his house organized.

If you'd followed my advice, which you solicited, you'd have likely seen far better results than all this public complaining.

vladsmythe
2008-05-31, 02:53 PM
Hey, I figured it had to be him because he has publicly said he doesn't like me. It was merely an educated guess.

paddington
2008-05-31, 03:02 PM
Cool! You were right! PM him next time.

LeifH12345
2008-05-31, 03:38 PM
I don't really like my video torrent titles being changed, but as mentioned, it's just someone's perfectionism.

Live and learn.

AAR.oner
2008-06-01, 08:10 AM
why must some people always be a pain the arse?

vladsmythe
2008-06-01, 08:42 AM
I am still waiting to hear back on my formal request to upload my torrent with the actual name. The Billie Holiday was successfully seeded that way, so we'll just have to wait on the David Crosby. I try to keep all my data sorted by program name. It's easier for everybody to say "Do you have Bob Marley on Now It Can Be Told?" than "Do you have Bob Marley on the program that did a profile about him on September 20th 1991?" Here is an example - Graceful Duck Archive Tape #127

A. NEWPORT JAZZ '89 HI-FI
1. Herbie Mann
2. Wynton Marsalis
3. George Shearing
4. Spyro Gyra
B. ALL AMERICAN JAZZ w/Bostonian Friends 1990 HI-FI
C. IN CONCERT '91
1. Eric Clapton
2. Donald Fagen
3. Michael McDonald
D. NOW IT CAN BE TOLD w/Bob Marley 9-20-91 HI-FI
E. NIGHT FLIGHT
1. Norman Gunstan in Haight Asbury
2. The Beatles
F. LATE NIGHT WITH DAVID LETTERMAN w/Weir 9-27-91 HI-FI
G. THE TODAY SHOW w/Jerry Garcia 10-4-91 HI-FI
H. ONE ON ONE WITH JOHN TESH w/David Crosby 10-8-91
I. AUSTIN CITY LIMITS w/Strength in Numbers 1991
J. SUNDAY MORNING "Billie Holiday" 10-13-91
K. MTV UNPLUGGED w/Crosby, Stills & Nash 1991 HI-FI
L. SUNDAY MORNING w/Paul McCartney 11-17-91 HI-FI

paddington
2008-06-01, 10:29 AM
couldn't you have just left this at yesterday?

mooncusser
2008-06-01, 10:42 AM
someone needs to accept the fact that he's not in charge.
or take his ball and go home like the 5-year-old he's behaving as.
because the more he bitches - and does so openly instead of in PMs - the more likely it will be that he won't get his way.

vladsmythe
2008-06-01, 10:49 AM
couldn't you have just left this at yesterday?

I'm just showing how I index my videos. I'm not making any demands. I'm happy to take the Crosby off my HD, but I'm still waiting for my request to be answered. Your suggestion to contact a video moderator was a very good one. Thanks for the positive input to this "case by case" issue. Again, I'm cool with scrubbing the Crosby and moving on to the next project.:thumbsup

tgunn2760
2008-06-01, 10:56 AM
I think Vlad is trying to say that the video mod/mods are not always consistent in what they allow on the tracker, and he obviously feels that he is being singled out.

I think Snivlle had the same beef and asked for his remastered Black Sabbath video to be pulled. That one was remastered by frameserving with CCE and was permitted, but when he tried to up another show, that was remastered in the same way, it was pulled from the tracker.

mooncusser
2008-06-01, 10:58 AM
vlad always feels like he's being singled out, persecuted and victimized.

he certainly can't stand any form of comment other than fawning praise, let alone actual criticism.

vladsmythe
2008-06-01, 11:07 AM
I think Vlad is trying to say that the video mod/mods are not always consistent in what they allow on the tracker, and he obviously feels that he is being singled out.

I think Snivlle had the same beef and asked for his remastered Black Sabbath video to be pulled. That one was remastered by frameserving with CCE and was permitted, but when he tried to up another show, that was remastered in the same way, it was pulled from the tracker.

tgunn, I'm completely over it. No issues - some confusion. Some of my seeds like "Billie Holiday - Sunday Morning (CBS)" are fine with the specific program (and network) in the title, and others like "David Crosby - One On One With John Tesh" are not fine. I remember many months ago my "Paul McCartney - Oprah Winfrey Show" was edited by mods to "Chicago, IL". Then 20 or so of my seeds were okay, until a couple nights ago, so I'm a little bewildered as to what the criteria is. Jameskg says it's "case by case".
If I know what the criteria is per each upload, I can then decide which videos I will take the time to transfer from my original tapes and create torrents to share. So, it's not a "beef" at this point. I am very willing to play by the rules that are clearly stated.:)

KoolKat
2008-06-01, 11:50 AM
vlad always feels like he's being singled out, persecuted and victimized.

he certainly can't stand any form of comment other than fawning praise, let alone actual criticism.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Vlad ,if i didn't know you were male ,i would of put money on that you had blue hair and went to Bingo twice a day.

K_K

Black Dog
2008-06-01, 11:54 AM

Vlad ,if i didn't know you were male ,i would of put money on that you had blue hair and went to Bingo twice a day.

K_K

:lol4: You called it!

LeifH12345
2008-06-01, 12:03 PM
why must some people always be a pain the arse?

I guess they feel its their duty. :disbelief

roomful
2008-06-01, 12:27 PM
tgunn, I'm completely over it. No issues - some confusion. Some of my seeds like "Billie Holiday - Sunday Morning (CBS)" are fine with the specific program (and network) in the title, and others like "David Crosby - One On One With John Tesh" are not fine. I remember many months ago my "Paul McCartney - Oprah Winfrey Show" was edited by mods to "Chicago, IL". Then 20 or so of my seeds were okay, until a couple nights ago, so I'm a little bewildered as to what the criteria is. Jameskg says it's "case by case".
If I know what the criteria is per each upload, I can then decide which videos I will take the time to transfer from my original tapes and create torrents to share. So, it's not a "beef" at this point. I am very willing to play by the rules that are clearly stated.:)

So you're not going to share certain videos if the thread title is going to be changed? Sounds like you do have beef. Get over it and play by the rules, which means living with some thread titles being changed. :thumbsup

Remember, people still get to enjoy your video, and they can read the full description from the text file when they click on the torrent thread. It's not as big of a deal as you think it is.

tgunn2760
2008-06-01, 02:44 PM

K_K

Is HC down for maintenance, KK? Can't access it today, all was fine yesterday.

Tracker seems to be offline, the torrent I was seeding stopped.