PDA

View Full Version : Recordings with excellent sound quality

ggking7
2008-05-27, 06:17 AM
I've downloaded Jimi Hendrix Busted in Toronto and The Beatles Corn of the Apple and the music is great but the sound quality leaves something to be desired. Can anyone recommend something with excellent sound quality?

Karst
2008-05-27, 06:24 AM
Official releases. Bootleg recordings vary greatly in quality. There are a few bands that have unofficial websites that grade boots. Might be worth while checking those.

ggking7
2008-05-27, 06:32 AM
Yes I'm guessing bootlegs vary greatly as far as quality. Can you recommend a recording or 2 on the excellent end?

roomful
2008-05-27, 06:34 AM
You may be someone who prefers soundboards (SBDs) over audience recordings (AUDs). I usually prefer a soundboard, although great AUDs rock! Generally, more modern AUDs from the 1990s and up sound better than older AUDs due to better recording gear and better PA systems.

Here's a great Jimi show (1970-07-30) and it's a SBD, and sounds great:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44311

SBD, STU (studio), FM, pre- FM, all come from the soundboard. MTX (matrix, a mix of SBD and AUD) are also ususally a safe bet that they will sound great. IEM (in ear monitor) and ALD (assisted listening device) also come from the SBD, but quailty can range from great to terrible; they are also pretty rare.

splumer
2008-05-27, 08:22 AM
Unless you're really limited on HD space, I'd just DL and listen. If you don't like how it sounds, you can always delete it. Or, just look over the torrent info before you download. Good quality shows will usually note that somewhere, or one of the comments will mention the quality.

ggking7
2008-05-27, 08:31 AM
Thanks guys. Downloading Jimi now. 1970 Maui? Sounds like Rainbow Bridge right?

Any other suggestions?

dorrcoq
2008-05-27, 02:49 PM
You download bootleg stuff from the 1960's and are surprised that the sound quality isn't pristine?:lol:

Karst
2008-05-27, 04:36 PM
If you looking for Hendrix then go indeed for the official stuff that is being put out at the moment. And go through the ATM series - particularly the latter part. Purple Chick is good for the Beatles (I think) and Harvest for Pink Floyd.

rspencer
2008-05-27, 11:47 PM
Yes I'm guessing bootlegs vary greatly as far as quality. Can you recommend a recording or 2 on the excellent end?

I'd recommend Berkeley 1970 & IOW 1970, as far as high-quality sound for Jimi. San Diego '69 is good as well. Those are all off the board, which you may prefer to audience recordings.

I'd also recommend you seed to improve that .02 ratio, if you're going to solicit suggestions for further downloading. Or maybe offer up some vines or B&P's, or torrents of other shows you own, since the 5 you are currently on have few leechers.

You've already gone from .02 to .03 before I posted this. Hopping on a number of seeder heavy/leecher light torrents can really put you in a hole. There's no enforcement here, but at other sites you could find yourself in a bind.

Have fun. :wave:

ggking7
2008-05-28, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna check out that Jimi, Beatles, and Pink Floyd.

I'm up to .06. Long way to go, but I'll leave whatever I have in there around the clock.

classicrock1169
2008-05-29, 04:15 PM
If you like Led Zeppelin Try
Flying Circus (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30550&highlight=flying+circus)
King Jimmy (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31253&highlight=kings+zeppelin)

ggking7
2008-05-29, 04:27 PM
Of course I do! Thanks!