PDA

View Full Version : Seedboxes TorrentFlux, etc.

ststephen
2008-04-30, 12:05 AM
Anybody else using seedboxes here? I am looking for some discussion and help.

For those of you that haven't heard the term "seedbox", there are a few torrent clients out there that will run on servers. The advantage is: FAST speeds, remote control of your torrents (any computer with Internet access), no Sandvine (Comcast) problems.

I am running 2, one with regular TorrentFlux 2.3 and one with torrentflux-b4rt 1.0-beta2 The servers are quite different also:

One is shared (and running websites, databases, etc) with dedicated IP (which you must have to run), the nice thing here is that I have about 1.4 terabytes (about 1,500 MB) of hard drive storage, and no sign of filling it up anytime soon. :tunes:

The other is Virtual, running only torrentflux-b4rt 1.0-beta2.

I am looking for help on a cron job that would restart any torrent that died on my TorrentFlux 2.3 box.

Thanks!

LeifH12345
2008-04-30, 12:36 AM
I am looking for help on a cron job that would restart any torrent that died on my TorrentFlux 2.3 box.

Thanks!

:hmm: Did you try...

No, that wouldn't work. Nevermind.

paddington
2008-04-30, 12:37 AM
are you fucking high?

LeifH12345
2008-04-30, 12:41 AM
What do you think.

I'm also banned from the lower forums:lol4:

paddington
2008-04-30, 12:41 AM
no you aren't

LeifH12345
2008-04-30, 12:45 AM
good to see that was corrected. :thumbsup I'll be out of here and back to you know where!

paddington
2008-04-30, 12:46 AM
why, I'll correct you, you little...

Five
2008-04-30, 11:49 AM
Anybody else using seedboxes here? I am looking for some discussion and help.

For those of you that haven't heard the term "seedbox", there are a few torrent clients out there that will run on servers. The advantage is: FAST speeds, remote control of your torrents (any computer with Internet access), no Sandvine (Comcast) problems.

I am running 2, one with regular TorrentFlux 2.3 and one with torrentflux-b4rt 1.0-beta2 The servers are quite different also:

One is shared (and running websites, databases, etc) with dedicated IP (which you must have to run), the nice thing here is that I have about 1.4 terabytes (about 1,500 MB) of hard drive storage, and no sign of filling it up anytime soon. :tunes:

The other is Virtual, running only torrentflux-b4rt 1.0-beta2.

Thanks!
I haven't tried that, but sounds kickass! what type of server are you using? linux?

direwolf-pgh
2008-04-30, 12:00 PM
utorrent & azureus offer web remote control. (for years)
running from a 'web server' wouldnt increase download or upload speeds.
why are your torrents quitting on you and need to be restarted ?

paddington
2008-04-30, 12:32 PM
I have a "server" tucked away at a remote location for the express purpose of jacking up my ratio at another torrent site where it's hard to get seeding credit due to the slim membership list. I put uTorrent on it and go in remotely once a week to add bullshit torrents to the list to get upload credit.. it just sits there running 20 at a time.. and it's an old eMachine 333MHz machine with a 20GB drive and 128MB of RAM :lol: basically a piece of junk, but it;s serving its purpose, like a toaster or blender. I call it my ratio machine :lol: You just need to find a place to stick one that has broadband.

U2Lynne
2008-04-30, 01:12 PM
I've got access to a couple of servers I could use for this purpose..... :slydevil:

ststephen
2008-04-30, 08:12 PM
Five: I use linux on servers and at home.

direwolf-pgh: It does increase down and up speed. My connection at home is decent, cable modem. But the servers are on T1's/T3's. There is no bittorrent throttling to worry about from your ISP (Comcast, etc). Now, I agree that a WELL SEEDED torrent is still important, I have seen download speeds of a 1000 kB/s sustained for a minute or more often dropping to 200-400 (the same torrent at home would be 20-75). I see 150-400 on most torrent downloads and have had upload speeds in the 75-300 OFTEN. When I jump both boxes on a recently seeded torrent, not only do I get the shows faster, everyone does. When my download finishes, I have usually already shared over 100%.

On the dying torrents deal: I think they are dying due to lack of seeders/connections. With TorrentFlux 2.3 you actually have to restart the torrent manually if you get to zero connections.

JamesKG: Cool, that works well I am sure!

U2Lynne: Don't use TTD's, we need the tracker and forums! :lol:

AAR.oner
2008-05-01, 05:14 AM
i've never dealt with one personally, but we have an acquaintance at the pub that runs all his torrents from a seedbox...next time i run into him, i'll ask about the cron job issue and let ya know

direwolf-pgh
2008-05-01, 08:20 AM
gotcha - these are hosted offsite shared/dedicated servers.
so you're saying if you have a faster connection you download faster. Ive heard that before somewhere.
Good to hear this is confirmed again.

how much are you paying for dedicated servers just to download stuff ?
then you need to FTP/transfer the files back to your local workstation.. correct?
:hmm: thats kinda like downloading twice isnt it?

i think ill stick with the 20Mbps/20Mbps Fios for $55 a month.
a T1 connection is 1.544 Mbps

Five
2008-05-01, 11:45 AM
ststephen: thx for the info!

I have a "server" tucked away at a remote location for the express purpose of jacking up my ratio at another torrent site where it's hard to get seeding credit due to the slim membership list. I put uTorrent on it and go in remotely once a week to add bullshit torrents to the list to get upload credit.. it just sits there running 20 at a time.. and it's an old eMachine 333MHz machine with a 20GB drive and 128MB of RAM :lol: basically a piece of junk, but it;s serving its purpose, like a toaster or blender. I call it my ratio machine :lol: You just need to find a place to stick one that has broadband.
yeah, I've got an old comp that I could format and put to work as a seedbox... but do I need a special account to run a server? could I just tap it into my home network and use it exclusively for bt? I've got a friend who runs a linux server from home and also uses it for bt, I can ask him for some advice as well (and let you guys know what he tells me).

U2Lynne
2008-05-01, 12:25 PM

yeah, I've got an old comp that I could format and put to work as a seedbox... but do I need a special account to run a server? could I just tap it into my home network and use it exclusively for bt? I've got a friend who runs a linux server from home and also uses it for bt, I can ask him for some advice as well (and let you guys know what he tells me).
If you just do it from home, then you are limited to the speeds of your ISP, so you are not gaining a thing. You need to use a server that has a faster connection.... but stay away from the TTD servers or you will piss off the users! :nono:

Five
2008-05-01, 01:59 PM
awwwwwwww :lol:

ststephen
2008-05-01, 06:35 PM
i've never dealt with one personally, but we have an acquaintance at the pub that runs all his torrents from a seedbox...next time i run into him, i'll ask about the cron job issue and let ya know

That would be great! I will also do some research myself this weekend, I am sure I SHOULD be able to figure it out.

ststephen
2008-05-01, 06:38 PM

Sure, you could do that. Part of my deal is that Comcast messes with my torrents AND I had this server that was rather lonely and paid for. So, I get the best of both worlds, no Comcast interference and faster speeds. If you hook up at home, you will still be limited by your broadband connection.

ststephen
2008-05-01, 06:45 PM
gotcha - these are hosted offsite shared/dedicated servers.
so you're saying if you have a faster connection you download faster. Ive heard that before somewhere.
Good to hear this is confirmed again.

how much are you paying for dedicated servers just to download stuff ?
then you need to FTP/transfer the files back to your local workstation.. correct?
:hmm: thats kinda like downloading twice isnt it?

i think ill stick with the 20Mbps/20Mbps Fios for $55 a month.
a T1 connection is 1.544 Mbps

I seem to recall my server has 1000 Mbps. I do download twice, although a recent ~600mb show took about 7 mins at 2500-3000 kB/s (there were 100+ seeders). Using SECURE FTP, I avoid Comcast throttling and get 1000 kB/s from the server to my workstation. It took 18 minutes. So, a total of 25 minutes. By the time I had burned the show, I had shared it 9 times already (900%). I love sharing! :)

direwolf-pgh
2008-05-02, 09:48 AM
you're happy :thumbsup we're happy
got it.

(although I was curious how much a month for the shared server)