PDA

View Full Version : SHN to WAV to FLAC

europhan
2008-04-07, 10:34 PM
If I use Trader's Little Helper, will there be any loss of quality, if I take some SHN files and convert them to WAV and then to FLAC? I am making a private mix of some songs from complete shows I have (will not be replacing the original files, keeping those for trading.) I use Winamp on my computer and like being able to use the seek function on songs, hence wanting FLAC files instead of SHNs. Theoretically I know it is loseless --> lossless --> lossless. Even a little loss of quality would not be too big of an issue, as long as the quality is still greater than what would be an mp3 at 320. Thanks.

Five
2008-04-07, 10:38 PM
there is no loss in quality

for verification generate st5 checksums from both the original shn and resulting flac sets. they should come up identical... the audio will be 100% identical.

europhan
2008-04-07, 10:52 PM
Thank you for the news, and it being good. I appreciate it.

dude87
2008-04-08, 05:35 AM
Trader's Little Helper can go directly from SHN to FLAC, there's no need to put the WAV conversion in the middle. I do this a lot, actually, as I prefer FLAC files for my media player.

Tubular
2008-04-08, 08:54 PM
If all you want to do is be able to use seek you could try this media player: Foobar2000 (www.foobar2000.com) It's free and will let you use the seek function with unseekable SHNs (not all SHNs are unseekable though, just some). It doesn't instantly seek like with FLAC or seekable SHNs, but it's pretty fast. You can find the shorten (SHN) decoder plugin for foobar on this page: http://foosion.foobar2000.org/components/

I'm not against converting SHNs to FLAC, though. There are a lot of home server type players that I think can't be rockboxed so will never support SHN, but they will play FLAC.