PDA

View Full Version : Simple DVD Covers Application

ignore the fashion
2008-02-26, 01:52 AM
I've been searching for a program I could use to print simple text color covers/inserts for the DVDs that I download and burn from TTD and other various BT sites.

I haven't really had any luck, but if someone could point me in the direction of something that is free and easy to use that'd be great.

I'm starting to get a rather large collection of dvds with no artwork, so its difficult to find a show sometimes.

Once again all I want to be able to do is print something on the front, something down the spine, and then setlist/additional information on the back.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out.

AAR.oner
2008-02-26, 04:16 AM
i'm assuming you're needing a program to create artwork, not just print it [your printer comes w/ software for printing]?

Photoshop is pretty much gonna be your standard program used...there's a million and one freeware progs out there, most of which should be able to do the things you need to create some artwork...here's a few that are recommended by this reputable site:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#21

a few things to remember, i typically work @ 300dpi, and the following are specs for both DVD and CD artwork [width x height]
DVD: 10.709 in x 7.244 in [272 mm x 184 mm]
CD Cover: 4.974 in x 4.724 in
CD Tray: 5.906 in x 4.646 in

and here's some good info & templates for making DVD covers:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18356

ignore the fashion
2008-02-27, 03:29 AM
I have Photoshop and I'd consider myself pretty good with it, but I wasn't looking for anything fancy. Just something that I could type in all the info and it prints it out with the correct size and all. I wouldn't mind having some nice full color artwork for some of my DVDs.

dementrium
2008-02-27, 06:30 AM
I have Photoshop and I'd consider myself pretty good with it, but I wasn't looking for anything fancy. Just something that I could type in all the info and it prints it out with the correct size and all. I wouldn't mind having some nice full color artwork for some of my DVDs.

Are you on Windows / have MS-Office / MS-Word installed?
Do you mind if I post a MS-Word template?
(It may work on Linux/StarOffice, Open Office, etc).

Berthavenation
2008-02-27, 03:34 PM
I've been searching for a program I could use to print simple text color covers/inserts for the DVDs that I download and burn from TTD and other various BT sites.

I haven't really had any luck, but if someone could point me in the direction of something that is free and easy to use that'd be great.

I'm starting to get a rather large collection of dvds with no artwork, so its difficult to find a show sometimes.

Once again all I want to be able to do is print something on the front, something down the spine, and then setlist/additional information on the back.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me out.

I myself use 'CoverXP'

ignore the fashion
2008-02-28, 12:10 AM

Are you on Windows / have MS-Office / MS-Word installed?
Do you mind if I post a MS-Word template?
(It may work on Linux/StarOffice, Open Office, etc).

I'm using Windows Vista, but I don't have MS Office, I could view word documents so if you have a MS Word template that'd be fine.

dementrium
2008-02-28, 12:11 PM
MSWord doc attached.

This one is really simple; sort of a fast type-in thing. If you come with a more useful layout, please load it here. :thumbsup

P.S.: in fact, I'm actually using a pencil & a piece of paper 95% of the time. Someday, I will sit and do all the remaining covers with this (or a better) template.

ignore the fashion
2008-02-29, 02:16 AM
MSWord doc attached.

This one is really simple; sort of a fast type-in thing. If you come with a more useful layout, please load it here. :thumbsup

P.S.: in fact, I'm actually using a pencil & a piece of paper 95% of the time. Someday, I will sit and do all the remaining covers with this (or a better) template.

thanks