PDA

View Full Version : I need to buy a new external CD burner - any suggestions?

superhokie
2008-02-25, 02:11 PM
The write drive on my PC is starting to go....and costing me $$$ in the process. I typically burn all my lossless shows onto Delkin Gold Archival CDRs (which cost around $1 each). Problem is, my current write drive is starting to crash on just about every other burn (I use EAC for all my burning). The writes don't complete, I get errors and end up having to trash the CDR.

I can't keep throwing out these gold CDRs, they're too expensive. So I'd like to invest in a good external CD burner. Problem is, I've been relying on my PC's burner for so long that I have no idea what drives are good and what aren't. I only burn music, no interest in burning DVDs or any of that nonsense.

I should also mention I'm on a pretty tight budget so I can't afford to lay out a lot of cash for a new drive. Ideally no more than a couple hundred bucks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

mooncusser
2008-02-25, 08:41 PM
You should be able to find an external DVD/CD burner for well under $100.
Plextor, Sony, LiteOn are pretty solid high-end/midrange/value choices in my experience (but I've only used internal burners).

ameyer17
2008-02-25, 08:57 PM
If you're using a desktop comfortable with opening your computer's case and swapping out the internal drive, you could get an internal DVD burner (do they even make burners that don't burn DVDs anymore?) for about $30 in August 2006. I'm pretty sure that the prices aren't significantly higher these days.

superhokie
2008-02-26, 12:32 PM
hmm....might go with an internal drive. Normally I don't like to tinker with my PC, I'm not really a hardware guy. Thanks for the suggestions.

saltman
2008-02-26, 01:27 PM
It will take 5 minutes. Anyone can do it.

Five
2008-02-26, 01:40 PM
just gotta get the jumper right.

an external will cost double and inside the external case is the same shit you can put inside your computer to begin with.

AAR.oner
2008-02-26, 05:29 PM
i'm gonna have to spam for plextor...never did me wrong yet