PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray Editing/Authoring

zoni41
2008-02-19, 09:27 AM
Found some cheaper burners and was wondering if there was anything out there to use for editing and authoring purposes.

Also preferred burners and discs.

Is anyone out there doing this yet?

Im recording in 1080i and want to keep it as long as possible.

saltman
2008-02-19, 09:55 AM
pc or mac?
what is your experience level with SD authoring software?

editing.
mac - final cut pro
pc - sony vegas

authoring
mac - they can't do it, last I checked. Encore CS3 may be the first whenever it ships. DVD Studio Pro does not support menu authoring of blu-rays.
pc - I've been using Sony Blu-print. there are numerous options from Avid to Roxio.

paddington
2008-02-19, 12:40 PM
pc or mac?
what is your experience level with SD authoring software?

editing.
mac - final cut pro
pc - sony vegas

authoring
mac - they can't do it, last I checked. Encore CS3 may be the first whenever it ships. DVD Studio Pro does not support menu authoring of blu-rays.
pc - I've been using Sony Blu-print. there are numerous options from Avid to Roxio.

hey - what min specs would you recommend for an editing computer for HD discs? ANything more specific than "as beefy as you can get"?

saltman
2008-02-19, 03:17 PM
To use blu-print you need two hd displays. blu-print is very expensive. It's really not a reasonable option.

pretty much as beefy as you can get. lots of ram, fast hdds, huge amounts of storage. of course it goes without saying that the higher FSB, number of cores (or threads), etc. is critical. scratch drives are necessities rather than optional. hdcp compliant video card and monitor.

AAR.oner
2008-02-19, 04:20 PM
apple has pretty much sat out the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD battle...now with Blu-Ray taking the cake, i'm guessing the next release of Final Cut/DVD Studio Pro will allow for it...i thought i had heard that the newest Avid could author to Blu, but it coulda been rumor [i never looked into it]

zoni41
2008-02-23, 05:31 PM
Decent amount of editing on a mac with fcp studio. Is it possible to export a hd file and burn that to a blu ray disc for playback w.o menus?

saltman
2008-02-23, 05:38 PM
Decent amount of editing on a mac with fcp studio. Is it possible to export a hd file and burn that to a blu ray disc for playback w.o menus?yes. without menus.

also be sure that the cheap burner is actually a burner and not just a reader. cheapest bluray burner I've seen is 375.

lot of info. here.
http://forum.blu-ray.com/

zoni41
2008-02-24, 11:48 AM
any recomendations for a blu ray burner for a g5 power mac?