PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Open Torrent File

rainmanz
2008-02-18, 03:51 PM
I am getting error messages on many .torrent files that I am downloading from this site as well as others. This seems to be a new problem. The message typicall reads "XXX.torrent could not be opened: Error reading torrent file XXX.torrent - Error reading torrent: BDecoder: unknown command" or the final line sometimes reads "Error reading torrent: BDecoder::getByteArayFromStream: truncated"

Does anyone know whay this is happening? It is not all of the .torrent files i get, but it is happening to most of them. I get errors trying to open in BiTorrent, but the more detailed error message information comes from Azureus. Please help!:hmm:

U2Lynne
2008-02-18, 03:54 PM
Hey rainmanz, I don't know if you saw my response before (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showpost.php?p=799407&postcount=4):

You are a comcast user, so that is one strike against you (search this forum or the internet for "comcast" or "comcast bittorrent"). But, this actually sounds more like a computer issue, than an ISP issue.

It looks like you used to be able to download shows using torrents, so what changed about the time that you started having problems? Any software upgrades?

Can you do a Save As with your torrent file (right-click)? Try changing the name to whatever.txt (not .torrent) and then once it is on your harddrive, change the extension back to .torrent. See if that does anything different.

rainmanz
2008-02-18, 04:11 PM
I ahvent downloaded audio torrents for a while. When I tried, I was getting error messages in my old verions of BitTorrent. So I upgraded to 6.0.X and had the same probelm. On this site it recommends Azureus, so I tried that. Same issues. I just download one as a txt and changed it bac to torrent and still no go. I was trying the Steely Dan outakes recently posted, but this has occurred on many files. I just dont know what to do. I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm not a programmer either. It seems as though something is corrupting the .torrent files when downloaded.

saltman
2008-02-18, 04:23 PM
rainmanz. some versions of BitTorrent have been banned. IT looks like you have switched so that should not be the problem.

What program do you use to browse the web? IE, firefox, opera, etc.

What program are you using as a torrent client? azureus, utorrent, etc.

I suspect it is a problem with your browser. either associations, or it is truncating a name or something like that.

rainmanz
2008-02-18, 04:26 PM
I'm disabling some stuff right now and will try again. Thanks for taking the time to hep me. I love this site, the people are so cool!

rainmanz
2008-02-18, 04:37 PM
IE Browser issue. Problem solved. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!:)

vasantha
2008-03-07, 04:36 AM

Hi,

I am getting the same message. Can you please tell me how to fix it

thanks

vasantha

U2Lynne
2008-03-07, 10:23 AM

Hi,

I am getting the same message. Can you please tell me how to fix it

thanks

vasantha
It's the same issue as here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=50696 The problem seems to be IE and the only solution posted so far is firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/). :loveff: