View Full Version : Increasing UL speed

2005-03-26, 09:39 AM
Hey everyone -

I use Burst! as my BT client, and am a Comcast subscriber. My ports are properly forwarded, as far as I know. I still seem to average a pitiful 8 kb/s on the UL, but sometimes get 400+ on DL's.

Can anyone offer some suggestions to increase my UL speed? On DVD's, you can imagine how long it takes me to achieve 1:1.

Thanks! :D

2005-03-26, 10:40 AM
First, I would shut down your client and do a speed test (there are several available, just google it). That will tell you what kinds of speeds you can achieve. Usually, the results are in Mbits, not MBytes, so you need to divide the result by 8 in order to get it into MBytes which is what BT clients usually use. These upload limits are imposed by the internet provider.

2005-03-26, 12:13 PM
Thanks Lynne - I'm going to seed some more then give it a try. :)

2005-03-26, 04:59 PM
just to clarify what lynne said, providers state bandwidth using communication speeds or bits per second. The number you see on your client is data speed which is measured in bytes per second. alot of people think if they have a 3Mb/512Kb connection they should see those numbers when doing any P2P sharing but as lynne said, the true max is communication speed divided by 8. i think comcast has pretty much made 512 up the standard in most places now so you should be seeing about 64 KB/s if all your doing is uploading. I've found the BW meters at dslreports to reflect closely what i actually see. You can find those tests HERE (http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest)

2005-03-28, 09:34 AM
Just a note which may or may not be applicable here. I had Comcast for a few months back in the summer of last year. They rated my upstream at 256 Kbps, which means I should have gotten around 24 KBps up on my BTs. I was never getting above 10K, and when I did it would drag everyone else on the network to a complete stop to the point where they couldn't even browse web pages. I had service technicians there 4 different times. Once they rebablanced the amplifier in our building, once they replaced the modem, once they adjusted the amplifier on the street, and once they just sat there and tested the lines repeatedly, each time resulting in a perfect line.

They would visit a test web page and prove that I was indeed getting the max rated speeds on simple upload and download, but every time after I turned on BT, the same behavior. I have friends on Comcast who are able to BT perfectly, so I really don't know what the problem was.

Needless to say, I cancelled Comcast because they couldn't fix them problem and provide me with a broadband connection which I could BT on...