PDA

View Full Version : External Drive Not Working (Mac Version)

Branston
2008-02-03, 03:02 AM
Hello fellow Mac geeks,

I have a LaCie blue brick external hard drive running with a G4 iMac (running Tiger OS 10.4).

This hard drive worked just dandy when I bought it last year, but since Apple upgraded OS 10.4 last summer (I'm running 10.4.11 now) there are known issues with the OS updates and this external drive. Basically my Mac just doesn't want to know.

Every time I boot up the hard disk I have to "repair" it with disk doctor. Sometimes it just doesn't show up at all. It used to work just dandy, and it's a real drag.

I really don't want to buy another hard drive when there isn't a technical fault.

Does anyone know a trick or work around so I can use my hard drive without all this hassle? Thanks.

U2Lynne
2008-02-03, 12:50 PM
Hopefully ffooky will come by cuz he always has excellent advise. I have none, sorry. When I was running 10.4, my LaCie external drive was working just fine (and still is). Have you looked on the apple forums for solutions?

Branston
2008-02-04, 12:35 PM
Hopefully ffooky will come by cuz he always has excellent advise. I have none, sorry. When I was running 10.4, my LaCie external drive was working just fine (and still is). Have you looked on the apple forums for solutions?

Thanks Lynne - I have looked on a lot of forums, and spent hours trying to find an answer on Google... no dice so far :(

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what OS are you running now, and does you Lacie drive work ok with it?

Here's hoping your friend ffooky can help me out so!

U2Lynne
2008-02-04, 12:56 PM

Thanks Lynne - I have looked on a lot of forums, and spent hours trying to find an answer on Google... no dice so far :(

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what OS are you running now, and does you Lacie drive work ok with it?

Here's hoping your friend ffooky can help me out so!
I'm running 10.5.1 and the drive works fine. I only run it when I need it though. I can't find a model number on my LaCie. Very weird.

Kstyle
2008-02-04, 02:18 PM
Steve Jobs is the BEST! He makes sure everything works with an Apple...if it was made by Apple, that is.

He may make Gates look good soon. Now wouldn't that be a turnaround!

Btw, try a Seagate. Cheaper by the day. My Lacie has the same issues on occasion with my pc, but a reboot almost always fixes it.

Good luck!