PDA

View Full Version : Making a miniDV master clone

Lloyd Boss
2008-01-17, 11:57 AM
I'm trying to make 2 miniDV master clones & am having difficulty doing it. I tried using a Panasonic PV-GS250 & a PV-GS320 that I connected with a 4 pin gold plated firewire cable. I followed the instructions in the manual to make a clone but can't get it to work. The master tape plays but the camcorder that is supposed to be recording the clone only shows a blue screen & does not record.

Any thoughts on what is going wrong? I have a friend that also has a PVG320, do you think connecting 2 of the same model would make a difference?

Thanks

stantheman1976
2008-01-17, 09:44 PM
Hook the two up with the firewire cable and make sure both are in playback mode. On the GS320 do the following: Menu > Rec. Standby > On.

Now play the tape you want to clone and on the GS320 you'll use your joystick to start recording just like you use it for play/pause. You'll see the screen change. It will no longer have Play/stop/Rewind/Forward. Now it will have Rec/Stop only.

Lloyd Boss
2008-01-18, 10:18 AM
That is essentially what I tried previoulsy, but with 2 different model cameras. I'll try it again with 2 gs320's & hopefully it should work

thanks

wilson
2008-01-18, 10:19 AM
or you could capture to computer and print to tape, same differance

Lloyd Boss
2008-01-18, 11:24 AM

Never thought about that, might have to try that instead of grabbing the other camera

saltman
2008-01-18, 12:36 PM

Never thought about that, might have to try that instead of grabbing the other camerabe careful. I have never done that before but was going to try it one day awhile ago. With Sony Vegas it looked like the only thing it would export out would be mpeg-2 files. Not the uncompressed avi. Again, I don't know how to use it. But that's what it looked like to me. Other programs will vary I'm sure.

AAR.oner
2008-01-18, 03:39 PM
we used the print-to-tape method a lot at work...never noticed any issues

stantheman1976
2008-01-18, 10:06 PM

Never thought about that, might have to try that instead of grabbing the other camerabe careful. I have never done that before but was going to try it one day awhile ago. With Sony Vegas it looked like the only thing it would export out would be mpeg-2 files. Not the uncompressed avi. Again, I don't know how to use it. But that's what it looked like to me. Other programs will vary I'm sure.

No, Vegas will output to almost any format you like.

stantheman1976
2008-01-18, 10:08 PM

Never thought about that, might have to try that instead of grabbing the other camera

Before I replied to you I made sure to test the method I described. I used a GS300 and GS320. You can capture to PC and print the AVI back to a tape if you like and there will be no quality loss. It just adds an extra step and takes longer but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that method.

Rags847
2008-01-27, 01:43 AM
Hook the two up with the firewire cable and make sure both are in playback mode. On the GS320 do the following: Menu > Rec. Standby > On.

Now play the tape you want to clone and on the GS320 you'll use your joystick to start recording just like you use it for play/pause. You'll see the screen change. It will no longer have Play/stop/Rewind/Forward. Now it will have Rec/Stop only.

Thank you, stantheman1976! I was trying to do my first DV Clone and your post explained it to me and made it work.
Long live the TTD and it's technobabble forum!

Rags