PDA

View Full Version : Help with HDD DVD recorder

tgunn2760
2008-01-11, 11:45 PM
I just got a HDD recorder, if anyone is experienced with these beasts and can provide some answers I would appreciate it.

HDMI: is this used in place of RCA cables and/or S-Video?

My understanding is that it is, and with one these one can record is lossless PCM audio.

If you use an HDMI cables you don't need the RCAs or the S-Cables?

Is there a way to limit the quality level of a recording, so that it would fit a DVD5?

Thanks in advance.

direwolf-pgh
2008-01-11, 11:57 PM
HDMI does carry both the audio and video.
that knocks out 2 of your questions. (no rca or s-video needed)

the rest would be RTFM..
what model recorder do you have?
computer? standalone component ?

direwolf-pgh
2008-01-12, 12:20 AM
sidenote: hopefully your new system handles the newer HDMI 1.3 standard (twice the bandwidth as HDMI)
Dolby and DTS lossless audio formats: For anybody who cares about getting the best audio quality out of Blu-ray and HD-DVD, HDMI 1.3 helps a lot. That's because it allows the players and A/V receivers to handle bitstreams of the two new "lossless" surround formats: Dolby Digital True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio. Of course, some existing Blu-ray and HD-DVD players also can deliver lossless audio, but only via multichannel PCM (via HDMI) or analog outs (via 5.1 or 7.1 jacks) as opposed to bitstream connections. http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9667944-1.html

tgunn2760
2008-01-12, 01:18 AM
HDMI does carry both the audio and video.
that knocks out 2 of your questions. (no rca or s-video needed)

the rest would be RTFM..
what model recorder do you have?
computer? standalone component ?

The recorder is the Pioneer DVR-450 H-s, upscaling to 1080 P.

I have an LCD TV but no HD service yet, so for now I will just be recording regular TV programs. I tried a disc recorder, but with that you can only record one program at a time. With this 160 GB recorder I can record ALL of the football playoffs this weekend...LOL.

Thanks for your help.

I will have to check about the newer HDMI.