PDA

View Full Version : increasing ratio help for a newbie

CovertOps77
2008-01-05, 12:13 AM
I've been registered for a while, but just started dling. Being a newbie, I don't have anything to currently offer, but will in the future. So what's the best way for me to increase my ratio from the beginning? I assume that I should seed for long periods until I build a decent ratio/collection, then begin to upload. Is this correct? any help would be appreciated. I definitely want to do my part in sharing correctly!

Sacredroots
2008-01-05, 08:31 AM
Jump on torrents early and seed them for a long time.Also keep the downloaded torrents on your HD in case someone needs a seed.

U2Lynne
2008-01-05, 11:01 AM
Sacredroots has the best advice, just keep seeding. I turn my torrents on every night and max out the upload rate. I also try to keep torrents on my harddrive for a couple of months so I can keep seeding them for late comers.

CovertOps77
2008-01-05, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the help. I woke up this AM, and the two video torrents were downloaded, but my ratio has taken a hit..
These downloads are being seeded, but the upload speeds are slow. The third is downloaded also, but it appears that it is not uploading? I assume that nobody else is trying to download this torrent. Should I keep seeding to nobody?
Again, your help is appreciated. This site ROCKS, but I want to make sure I'm doing my part.

splumer
2008-01-07, 07:20 AM
I usually seed for a day or so after there are zero leechers, then abandon it. You might want to try jumping onto one that you're not really interested in soon after its posted, and just leaving it open for several days just to boost your ratio.

Or not worry about it in the hopes it will go up later through the normal course of events.

dcbullet
2008-01-07, 01:53 PM
You appear to be using Comcast. If so, many people have problems getting good upload speed after completing their download. A trick you can use is to cap your download speed to something below your upload speed. That way, if you jump on early, you will typically have uploaded more by the time you complete your download.

You can read about the problems that people have had with Comcast by doing a search for Comcast in this forum.

CovertOps77
2008-01-07, 04:57 PM
You appear to be using Comcast. If so, many people have problems getting good upload speed after completing their download. A trick you can use is to cap your download speed to something below your upload speed. That way, if you jump on early, you will typically have uploaded more by the time you complete your download.

You can read about the problems that people have had with Comcast by doing a search for Comcast in this forum.

That was a good explanation and helpful advice. I do have Comcast. I use uTorrent as my client- I'll try to figure out how to cap the DL speed with uTorrent. Thanks!

MourningStar
2008-01-08, 10:45 AM
I typically locate a very popular show and keep it on my hd for seeding purposes only. I do this at every torrent site I subscribe to.