PDA

View Full Version : Computer scratches my cd.

lachy_legend
2008-01-03, 11:10 PM
hi guys, i wanted to torrent a gig of T. Rex live in Sydney 1973, i put the cd into the computer and it made a big noise, all i heard was a scratching noise and the computer tower started being noisy i tried to take the cd out and after 10-20 seconds it came out, my cd was scratched on the outside of the cd. i couldnt believe it does anybody have any theories?
thanks

direwolf-pgh
2008-01-04, 12:14 AM
i foresee a new cd burner in your near future.

E_rock
2008-01-04, 01:28 AM
i foresee a new cd burner in your near future.

Yep. Play it safe.

Five
2008-01-04, 03:38 AM
I got a walkman that did that to disc one of my police box set... fuckin sucks!! I stopped using it immediately.

as for your scratched cd I heard furniture polish works, or maybe one of those overpriced cd repair kits at certain record stores. I've tried neither personally, I would strongly recommend finding a similar audio cdr (or cd you don't like lol) and scratch it similarly, then try to "repair" that before you go to work on your one-of-a-kind disc. Or, if your disc isn't one of a kind track down another copy.

lachy_legend
2008-01-04, 05:02 AM
thanks for the posts i was wondering why it did that to the cd?

tgunn2760
2008-01-04, 08:17 AM
hi guys, i wanted to torrent a gig of T. Rex live in Sydney 1973, i put the cd into the computer and it made a big noise, all i heard was a scratching noise and the computer tower started being noisy i tried to take the cd out and after 10-20 seconds it came out, my cd was scratched on the outside of the cd. i couldnt believe it does anybody have any theories?
thanks

Was this a CD-R or DVD-R?

How did you get a gig of T Rex on a 700 MB CD-R?

I would ask a friend to make me a copy of the disc, by ripping the scratched disc-if possible-to his HDD, and then burning it.

dorrcoq
2008-01-04, 01:54 PM
Two things that come to mind - you didn't put the CD into the tray properly, or you put it in and there was already a CD loaded(I did that once, shook the whole tower, surprisingly caused no damage to burner or CD's though.)

lachy_legend
2008-01-04, 08:23 PM
Was this a CD-R or DVD-R?

How did you get a gig of T Rex on a 700 MB CD-R?

I would ask a friend to make me a copy of the disc, by ripping the scratched disc-if possible-to his HDD, and then burning it.

it was a CD i think oir maybe a CD-R, i had been waiting for months for it and got it from the bolan society, what do you mean by "How did you get a gig of T Rex on a 700 MB CD-R?"?
thanks

U2Lynne
2008-01-04, 09:13 PM
it was a CD i think oir maybe a CD-R, i had been waiting for months for it and got it from the bolan society, what do you mean by "How did you get a gig of T Rex on a 700 MB CD-R?"?
thanks
What he is saying is that a CD-R can't hold a gig, so how is it that you are talking about a gig being on the CD-R? Are you sure it isn't a DVD-R? And, if it was a DVD-R, does your computer take DVD-Rs?

E_rock
2008-01-04, 09:44 PM
I think he meant "gig" as in a show, performance, concert, etc.

Most gigs will fit nicely on a cdr.

:duh:

LOL

lachy_legend
2008-01-04, 10:30 PM
yeah sorry i did mean a gig as in a concert sorry for the confusion

tgunn2760
2008-01-04, 10:38 PM
yeah sorry i did mean a gig as in a concert sorry for the confusion

OK, I was getting at what Lynne said, that perhaps your CD-ROM does not play DVD-Rs.

So what is the problem? Have you lost the data, or is the CD simply scratched? If the CD has become unplayable, there is an application called CDRoller that will recover the data for you. Just google it.

I had stored data on a DVD-R that became corrupt, but I was able to recover the data with this application.

U2Lynne
2008-01-04, 11:22 PM

LOL
:redface:

I'm glad to see someone else thought the same thing I did. :lol:

lachy_legend
2008-01-04, 11:38 PM
the cd plays fine, it was a bit scratched on the outer part of the cd, i was wondering why it did it when put into the computer?

tgunn2760
2008-01-05, 08:15 AM
the cd plays fine, it was a bit scratched on the outer part of the cd, i was wondering why it did it when put into the computer?

Maybe the T Rex was still "kicking"?

E_rock
2008-01-05, 09:34 AM

My guess would be that you simply didn't get the disk in the tray properly and when the spindle dropped/rose it didn't line up with the hole and wedged the disk in at an angle causing all the chatter. You're lucky it didn't get stuck. I did the same thing to my carousel and had to take it apart to get the disk out. Never did get the gears and stuff lined up properly, gave up and bought a new one that will play everything now.

LeifH12345
2008-01-05, 03:38 PM
I got a walkman that did that to disc one of my police box set... fuckin sucks!! I stopped using it immediately.

as for your scratched cd I heard furniture polish works, or maybe one of those overpriced cd repair kits at certain record stores. I've tried neither personally, I would strongly recommend finding a similar audio cdr (or cd you don't like lol) and scratch it similarly, then try to "repair" that before you go to work on your one-of-a-kind disc. Or, if your disc isn't one of a kind track down another copy.

I've used the 'GameDr.' on severely scratched CD's that skipped awfully and the CD's now play like new. Anything else has never worked for me. Game Dr's are expensive though, see if you have a friend that has one. Unless it's OOP, I'd rather buy a new CD.

lachy_legend
2008-01-05, 09:48 PM
heard of em but what are oop?

mooncusser
2008-01-05, 09:58 PM
oop = out of print

lachy_legend
2008-01-05, 11:10 PM
thanks, well i think i put it on the right track in the cd tray because i tried it on another computer and it didnt register at all on the computer? like the cd wasnt even in there?

tgunn2760
2008-01-07, 12:58 AM
thanks, well i think i put it on the right track in the cd tray because i tried it on another computer and it didnt register at all on the computer? like the cd wasnt even in there?

That probably means that the CD-ROM is f****d. The laser can't read the CD. Or the CD is damaged? Or both?

KoolKat
2008-01-07, 03:03 AM

LOL

:lol :clap:..I wasnt going to show my age 1st,glad you said it.

K_K

E_rock
2008-01-07, 03:17 PM

K_K

What??? The kids don't use that term anymore? What about hootin'nanny? LOL

steamshooter
2008-01-08, 05:32 PM
I have no idea what happened to your drive unless it's going south like was said above.
I would like to add EAC (Exact Audio Copy) has rescued many a scratched disc for me. It's free too :D Micro$oft only I believe

Brad

tgunn2760
2008-01-08, 10:37 PM

K_K

The way he phrased it I took it as a gigabyte of T Rex.

Had he said a T Rex gig I would have got it.

I assumed he burned a GB on a DVD-R and then tried to play it on a CD-ROM.