PDA

View Full Version : Need help with capturing some video

sanpablobay
2008-01-02, 01:59 AM
okay, so back in june I video taped Ween with my old jvc camera. I recorded the show in 4:3 cinematic mode aka fake 16:9. I transfered the first tape a few weeks later using sonicmydvd with no trouble, but for some reason or another I never did transfer the rest.

since then I've got a new camera, and sony vegas 8.0. the new camera films in 16:9. I've filmed & transfered a couple shows with the new camera, and everything is fine.

well, a couple weeks ago I decided to transfer the rest of the Ween show. when I did I used the camera it was filmed on & vegas, but for some reason instead of capturing in 4:3 cinematic it was capturing it in 16:9, and squished the video by adding extra black bars.

I've tried capturing these tapes with 3 different programs & both my old and new cameras. no matter what I try it keeps trying to do it in 16:9.

if any one has any suggestions on how I can get these to capture right please let me know.

AAR.oner
2008-01-02, 08:26 AM
typically "cinema" mode refers to the frame rate [simulating 24p] and not frame size...without knowing your camera model, i'm assuming that its widescreen mode is actually stretching the image to achieve "16:9"...try setting Vegas to capture the image as 16:9 Anamorphic and see if that doesn't help

sanpablobay
2008-01-02, 08:58 AM
typically "cinema" mode refers to the frame rate [simulating 24p] and not frame size...without knowing your camera model, i'm assuming that its widescreen mode is actually stretching the image to achieve "16:9"...try setting Vegas to capture the image as 16:9 Anamorphic and see if that doesn't help

it's a jvc gr-dvl300, and I wil give your suggestion a try.

sanpablobay
2008-01-02, 09:17 AM
I'm not finding an option in vegas that allows me to capture in anamorphic.

AAR.oner
2008-01-02, 09:40 AM
i've never used Vegas, so i can't help you with specifics with that prog unfortunately...hopefully one of the Vegas heads will pop in today and be able to help you a bit more, i'm assuming it has numerous log&capture settings and you'll be able to find the right one to keep the proper pic ratio

oh & i would recommend using the camera it was recorded on for the transfer, less issues when it comes to situations like this

retired
2008-01-02, 12:45 PM
Not sure which one to tell you to use, but
File > Properties > Video > Template Drop down box.

There are a couple of 24P options there.

Unidecker
2008-01-02, 02:49 PM
when you set up to capture 24p/HD there's an option you MUST select HD capture for those options to show up then capture the hd files and convert as needed enjoy and good luck.

sanpablobay
2008-01-03, 12:51 AM
okay, I think you're misunderstanding me. it has nothing do with framerate or hd. it's frame size. the video is in 4:3, but I had it set to cinema mode which crops the video by adding blacking bars to make it look like 16:9, and when I try to capture now, it thinks it's actual 16:9, and is squishing the video by adding extra black bars. I didn't have any problems transfering before I bought a camera that is actual 16:9. thanks anyways though, and I'll keep trying.