PDA

View Full Version : can't add attachment torrent file

Dubwise12
2007-12-06, 09:11 PM
Strangely when I am trying to create an upload, when I go to the manage attachments to load the torrent files it will not work. Everytime I click the upload button it acts like it is going to work normal but then boom it goes black right before that torrent files is uploaded. I rebooted my machine and nothing seems to work. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Five
2007-12-06, 09:23 PM
maybe clearing the cache of your browser will help

more expert advice is sure to follow...

Dubwise12
2007-12-06, 09:39 PM
I don't know where the cache clearing button is in the options of mozilla firefox?

Five
2007-12-06, 09:45 PM
ctrl+sft+del and just check the box that says cache then push 'clear private data now'

Dubwise12
2007-12-06, 09:48 PM
OK i cleared the cache but still the same problem.

Five
2007-12-06, 10:00 PM
worth a shot

sorry to say I'm stumped for the moment.

help is on the way

U2Lynne
2007-12-06, 10:12 PM
You are the second person to say that today. Let me see if I can understand this better.

You go to the upload page and you see the Manage Attachments button, right?

Now you click it, and what do you see then? Does the box pop-up? Does it give you an error message?

Also, try doing a Force Refresh of each page - the upload page and the attachments pop-up - and see if that fixes it (on a mac that is shift + refresh, I think it is the same on a PC).

Dubwise12
2007-12-06, 10:27 PM
The Box pops open, I select browse to pick my torrent file. when I select the upload button, then it tries to load the file but it just goes blank (white) and says at bottom "done".

U2Lynne
2007-12-07, 01:21 AM
OK, good news is that I can get it to do this same thing for me. Also, good news is I know what part of the code it doesn't like.

Bad news is it is in a part of the code that won't let me spit out debug information onto the screen. I'm way too tired to continue chasing this one, I've been at it since I last posted in this thread.

Can you wait for me to get back to work on this in the morning? Or, can you make a new username and try to upload that way? If you do that, then I can change the username on the thread tomorrow if you tell me what thread it is.

U2Lynne
2007-12-07, 01:29 AM
Hmmm, now I see you were able to finally upload it. I wonder what it is that 'resets' it so you may upload again? I don't suppose you know what you did?

This is a very weird one to have to chase down.

Dubwise12
2007-12-07, 12:20 PM
Because I was frustrated trying to upload the same torrent file over and over and it just going blank, I just randomly grabbed another torrent file from the past and it loaded it OK. So I figured maybe something was wrong with the first one I made, so I remade the torrent file and loaded it. It worked fine. Don't understand why but it worked. Thanks for you help in trying to figure out the problem U2lynne.

Hmmm, now I see you were able to finally upload it. I wonder what it is that 'resets' it so you may upload again? I don't suppose you know what you did?

This is a very weird one to have to chase down.

quadrophenia
2007-12-07, 03:22 PM
Same problem by me. I remade the torrent file but it doesn't work. Also other torrent files don`t work.

buddhacat
2007-12-07, 05:51 PM
having same/similar issue...trying to upload a torrent, it didn't upload 5 or 6 times...i deleted it, rebuilt it and then i was able to attach it, but now when I click 'submit thread' my screen just refreshes itself (i.e. nothing happens)

??

U2Lynne
2007-12-07, 07:06 PM
Is there no message above where it says "Type of Show"? I do see a torrent on the tracker from you. Let me delete it and then maybe you can try again. Actually, you had the torrent up there twice. You may want to make a new torrent file after modifying the text file slightly and then it will get a different hash.

Oh, edit to add: Did you have a huge text file? Sometimes that will do what you are talking about - take you back to that screen with no error message. If you think it may be a large text file, just put a little bit of text in the text and/or fingerprints box and hit submit and then go back and edit the post after it submits.

buddhacat
2007-12-07, 08:50 PM
Is there no message above where it says "Type of Show"? I do see a torrent on the tracker from you. Let me delete it and then maybe you can try again. Actually, you had the torrent up there twice. You may want to make a new torrent file after modifying the text file slightly and then it will get a different hash.

Oh, edit to add: Did you have a huge text file? Sometimes that will do what you are talking about - take you back to that screen with no error message. If you think it may be a large text file, just put a little bit of text in the text and/or fingerprints box and hit submit and then go back and edit the post after it submits.

weird...it isn't a large text file...i had the character '+' in the file names and torrent name and thought that might be a problem but renamed and rebuilt the torrent and having the same problem...just in case the text was too long i shortened it to almost nothing...same issue...

well, maybe fresh eyes and a fresh try will work. i'll have another go tomorrow...if you think of anything else I could try, please let me know...i'll start with an entirely new show tomorrow and see if I have luck.

U2Lynne
2007-12-07, 09:07 PM
The torrents are getting uploaded. So, whatever is happening isn't because of that. Are you still having the issue that you know the torrent is attached but then the thread isn't getting posted? I mean, that you hit Submit this Thread and then you get taken back to the same page? That is the issue we are trying to deal with, right? If so, the next thing I would do is do the upload and just put "xyz" in where the text should go and "123" where the fingerprints should go and then see if it submits (assuming you attached the torrent and you filled out the other parts of the form. Oh, are you making a long thread title? Just put the artist name in there for now. You can always edit that stuff later after the thread gets made. (It sounds like this is an issue of vbulletin rejecting something in the fields - like you have too much in one of them.)

dorrcoq
2007-12-08, 10:16 AM
Lynne - wouldn't work for me last night, or this morning either. And I redid the torrent file and tried old ones that had worked - still the same thing. I get the message "Upload of file failed".

Dennis

U2Lynne
2007-12-08, 10:33 AM
Old ones that had worked won't work because they are already on the tracker and you get an error trying to upload a torrent that is already on the tracker.

Dennis, you had successfully uploaded one to the tracker and I'll bet the error was because of that. I just deleted it from the tracker (I think it was Buddy Guy?)

I'm getting the sense that since vbulletin is so into caching everything now, that it 'remembers' errors and just spits them out to you all the time after you get one. I think you need to make sure to leave the upload page, then come back and do a force refresh, and then try again with a new torrent that has a new hash. I'm gonna have to work on that.

dorrcoq
2007-12-08, 10:36 AM
Yeah, Buddy Guy is what I'm trying to do, but it never showed that it was successful. I'll try again now.

dorrcoq
2007-12-08, 10:37 AM
Damn, now it says it exceeds my quota by 69 kb

buddhacat
2007-12-08, 10:51 AM
The torrents are getting uploaded. So, whatever is happening isn't because of that. Are you still having the issue that you know the torrent is attached but then the thread isn't getting posted? I mean, that you hit Submit this Thread and then you get taken back to the same page? That is the issue we are trying to deal with, right? If so, the next thing I would do is do the upload and just put "xyz" in where the text should go and "123" where the fingerprints should go and then see if it submits (assuming you attached the torrent and you filled out the other parts of the form. Oh, are you making a long thread title? Just put the artist name in there for now. You can always edit that stuff later after the thread gets made. (It sounds like this is an issue of vbulletin rejecting something in the fields - like you have too much in one of them.)

U2Lynne, not sure what got fixed, but I woke up this morning, tried the same torrent that didn't upload last night, and it worked...you are corrent in that the torrent was getting attached but then the thread wasn't getting posted. I would hit 'submit new thread' and would get taken to the same page. Tried it once this morning, and it worked smooth as silk like every other time not counting yesterday....

U2Lynne
2007-12-08, 10:57 AM
Dennis, your upload quota should be fixed now. And, I removed the torrent that was uploaded again before you got that message.

buddhacat, I changed the allowed length of titles since you seem to go for the longer thread titles. That is probably why it works now.

dorrcoq
2007-12-08, 12:24 PM
Working now! Thanks, Lynne

direwolf-pgh
2007-12-08, 01:14 PM
so perhaps its all just the quota thing.
there should be a default global setting for all users
(i would guess)

U2Lynne
2007-12-08, 01:38 PM
so perhaps its all just the quota thing.
there should be a default global setting for all users
(i would guess)
I fixed the quota thing and also posted on vb.org asking if they plan to fix that. It's because he was in another 'group'. You and I noticed that when playing on the test site.

Dubwise, who started this thread, was not in any other usergroup, so his was not a quota thing. It's like once you get an error, it remembers it and no matter what you do, you get that error. I was reading through some other threads at vb.org and I may try to rewrite the upload script to do the torrent checking at another point during the upload process. Maybe that would fix the problems. I'll have to try it out on the test site though. It's hard to chase these sort of errors cuz the script can't 'talk' to me while it's happening so I can't put in debug stuff.