PDA

View Full Version : Firewall trouble on Mac OS X

thecellarcds
2007-11-24, 10:47 AM
Hello all,

I've tried searching on the forums for this, couldn't find it.
Tried this website - http://transmission.m0k.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=188
My mac doesn't have some of the tabs it describes so I'm confused

I am running on a MacBook Pro, using Transmission as my BT client. It says 'Possibly Firewalled' under my upload/download ratio. My dl speeds are fast, but I'm not uploading and I think it's because of a firewall or something. Can anyone help?

U2Lynne
2007-11-24, 10:51 AM
First off, if possible, I would change bittorrent clients to Azureus. Transmission has been known to mess with people's stats (you will suddenly get your upload or download number reset to 0).

Do you have your mac firewall turned off? (Sys Preferences > Sharing > Firewall) Do you have a router? Did you forward your ports through it (portforward.com).

Do you have comcast? If so, search this forum for "Comcast" and "Sandvine" and read about problems and solutions for those problems.

thecellarcds
2007-11-24, 12:11 PM
My firewall is turned on, but it says BitTorrent is allowed. I am using my AirPort card to access the Belkin router, which is routing a signal from a comcast cable modem hooked up to my PC. And yes, I have comcast so I will do some investigating.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply and help, this seems like a friendly community!

thecellarcds
2007-11-24, 12:13 PM
will i have to do something on my pc?

U2Lynne
2007-11-24, 12:22 PM
Have you done anything to forward your ports for your mac through the router?

I'm trying to understand what you are saying about your modem/router set up. Most people go modem > (wireless) router > multiple computers. But, it almost sounds likek you are saying modem > PC > (wireless) router > you. Is that correct?

Do you have a static IP set up for your mac? ie. it looks like 192.168.1.xxx and the xxx is always the same? Or is it dynamic and the xxx changes everytime you turn on your mac?

thecellarcds
2007-11-24, 07:45 PM
cable modem (comcast) > PC > belkin router > mac via airport wireless card

i'm not sure what the last 3 digits of the ip are, whether or not it's the same or they change. i'll do some investigating tonight, thanks for the advice! :)

thecellarcds
2007-11-24, 08:04 PM
i switched to azereus, so i figure it will be easier to figure out, but any advice on that to maximize torrent performance?