PDA

View Full Version : Problems sharing torrents once I've finished downloading

MonkeyM
2007-11-24, 08:49 AM
Hi please help,

Recently I've been having problems continuing to share files that I have finished downloading from TTD. They upload fine while I'm downloading a torrent but once I've finished I get a 'Tracker sending Null data' message.

A few other facts for consideration:
I'm being told that I'm not firewalled,
These problems started to happen not long after I remember reading the home page news about server denile attacks and mainline version whatever being banned,
My internet service provider has recently changed ownership (no noticeable change for me though),
I'm using u-torrent.

One final thought, I'm showing as seeding a few TTD torrents - these tend to be ones that I downloaded since I first noticed these problems - does anyone know whether there is a limit to the number of torrents that we can seed on this tracker?

I'd really appreciate suggestions on how to correct this as my share ratio has dropped by a couple of points since I first noticed this.

Thanks in advance

U2Lynne
2007-11-24, 09:55 AM
In no particular order...

Yes, there are limits for how many shows you may upload or download. You may read about them in the FAQ here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=bittorrent#faq_connection_limit

If you were affected by the denial of service attack in any way, you would simply not be able to see the site. Period. Your IP would be totally blocked. So, I'd say that is not a problem for you. Same thing with the Mainline BitTorrent being banned - you are using uTorrent, so this ban doesn't affect you.

If you have Comcast now, do a search in this forum for "Comcast" and "Sandvine" and you will read about other users problems with seeding problems and some solutions that may work for you.

Make sure the shows you are choosing to seed actually have some leechers on them. I've seen people ask why their uploading wasn't working and it turned out they were connected to torrents with no leechers (or very few leechers compared to the number of seeders).

I hope that helps.

MonkeyM
2007-11-24, 05:53 PM
In no particular order...

Yes, there are limits for how many shows you may upload or download. You may read about them in the FAQ here: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=bittorrent#faq_connection_limit

If you were affected by the denial of service attack in any way, you would simply not be able to see the site. Period. Your IP would be totally blocked. So, I'd say that is not a problem for you. Same thing with the Mainline BitTorrent being banned - you are using uTorrent, so this ban doesn't affect you.

If you have Comcast now, do a search in this forum for "Comcast" and "Sandvine" and you will read about other users problems with seeding problems and some solutions that may work for you.

Make sure the shows you are choosing to seed actually have some leechers on them. I've seen people ask why their uploading wasn't working and it turned out they were connected to torrents with no leechers (or very few leechers compared to the number of seeders).

I hope that helps.

Many thanks for the pointers :thumbsup - I think that it may be the too many torrents problem - only trying to be helpfull... I'll try to sort this.

Martin

U2Lynne
2007-11-24, 06:24 PM
Many thanks for the pointers :thumbsup - I think that it may be the too many torrents problem - only trying to be helpfull... I'll try to sort this.

Martin
I did just look and saw that 6 of the 10 torrents you are trying to upload on have 0 leechers so you won't be uploading anything at all on those. For me, even uploading to four torrents may be a bit much for my upload speed. My max is 70 KB/s, which means that if the other four torrents have users trying to get shows from me, I am only giving a bit more than 15 KB/s to the torrent. That is pretty slow. So, ideally, I try to just pick 2 or 3 torrents to seed at a time. (I'm not talking about when I am the sole seeder, like when I have uploaded a torrent. If that is the case, that show will be the ONLY show I am seeding.) So, the amount of upload speed you are giving to each torrent is something you should consider when you pick how many torrents to seed at once.

MonkeyM
2007-11-25, 05:32 AM
Thanks again for the pointers and patience ;) I've prunned some torrents on this and other tracker. :D

U2Lynne
2007-11-25, 10:47 AM
I wouldn't necessarily prune them, I would simply not turn them on. uTorrent allows you to just have the torrent sitting in the window without making it active. That allows you to watch it and see how many seeders and leechers there are on it (called scraping) and you can see if it needs a seeder and then turn it on.

MonkeyM
2007-11-27, 11:19 AM
I wouldn't necessarily prune them, I would simply not turn them on. uTorrent allows you to just have the torrent sitting in the window without making it active. That allows you to watch it and see how many seeders and leechers there are on it (called scraping) and you can see if it needs a seeder and then turn it on.

Many thanks Lynne - I learn someting new every second. :clap: :) :clap:

Martin