PDA

View Full Version : Comcast blocks my bit torrent.....my share ratio is suffering

mahmut4
2007-11-07, 10:13 AM
Hello Forum,

Any advice on what I can to to prevent Comcast from preventing me from maintaining my share ratio? Often, once a download is complete, I am unable to continuing uploading (& thus improve & maintain my share ratio). Recent articles in the Philadelphia Inquirer discuss this and many believe Comcast does this knowing & deliberately. ANY SUGGESTIONS? Besides dumping Comcast? Maybe make a financial contribution? Offer b&Ps? I guess what bugs me the most is that my ratio suffers and some folks may judge me for it but not understand why....

U2Lynne
2007-11-07, 10:22 AM
There are a few threads in this forum about this issue - search "Comcast" or "Sandvine". Encryption was suggested. There was a post about how to get around sandvining - it worked for some, not for others. You could cap your download rate to the same as your upload rate and therefore end up seeding a lot while downloading so when you are done, you are at a 1:1 ratio (or around there).

Also, don't forget that you may share by doing B&Ps or Vines.

mahmut4
2007-11-07, 05:45 PM
Dear U2 Lynne,

Could you elobrate about caping my download rate? Are you refering to the "sliding scale" at which I download/upload? I usually keep it open to the max. Are you saying if I decrease this, I can increase my uploading while I download?

SuprSknk
2007-11-07, 06:11 PM
That's right. I have Comcast also, I had the same problem. I use Azureus and when I turned the encryption on I could connect to people. Also, try limiting your upload (when downloading) to about 10 kb/s less than your max. I'm capped at 45, and I usually set it for 35 when downloading, then I open it up when done. Good Luck. :wave:

KPO
2007-11-08, 03:37 PM
Read this and be pissed it's not just Comcast :mad: :mad: :mad:

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/

U2Lynne
2007-11-08, 04:03 PM
Dear U2 Lynne,

Could you elobrate about caping my download rate? Are you refering to the "sliding scale" at which I download/upload? I usually keep it open to the max. Are you saying if I decrease this, I can increase my uploading while I download?
I am referring to the sliding scale, but what I'm saying is that since most people have the sudden stop of uploading after they complete their download, if you make your download take longer, then you may upload for longer. So, if you limit the speed on your downloading to half of what it was, then it takes twice as long to download but you get to upload for twice as long before comcast limits your upload ability at the end of the download. I hope that makes better sense.

mahmut4
2007-11-12, 08:05 AM
Thank you. That makes perfect sense. :wave: