PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Equipment & Software

Five
2007-11-06, 06:04 PM
post your favorites, what you like to use. if you're not a tekkie just post what player you use etc mainly anything pertaining to audio/video and this hobby. make an endless list of everything from your tv to your preferred walkman if you like, we will read it. In fact, I encourage you to try to bore us :lol:

I would've made it a poll, but it would be too hard to get every option in there.

okay, I'll start...this is the stuff I'm using, in some cases I have better stuff that isn't hooked up just now other times I'm plainning an upgrade like we all are... not every last thing I own is listed, just the stuff I've been most using recently.

please add your comments!!

here's my list... if it gets boring use the scroll wheel on your mouse :lol

Computer:
some kind of Dell

Monitor:
AcerView78ie

win2kpro (patches up to date)

HD:
4GB & 80GB + 250GB and 40GB USB externals

CPU:
30MHz (! I know, my other 1.7GHz comp died a month ago :lol )

browser:
always the latest FF, sometimes Opera, occasionally IE6, IE7 at work.

Extraction Drive:
TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM6302B

Burning Drive:
LITE-ON LTR24102B

Extraction Software:
EAC V0.95 prebeta 5 - Offsets determined & corrected, extractions done with test&copy and .log files generated & corrected.

audio players:
winamp 2.81 hot-rodded with VID4WA, APE, FLAC and SHN plugins, re-configured for gapless playback without an additional plugin, yunasoft sexyfont plugin 2000, ASPM2Soft ACtiveskin plug-in, SuicidalMachineers MARON, ReginaCape_mix Plug-In Ver 1.00, CD Reader v1.95 (x86), some nullsoft components upgraded by overwriting with 5.x versions. custom skin by me :D

WAV Editor:
Adobe Audition 1.5, CEP 2.1, occasionally Audacity bleeding edge version.

walkman:
iPod 5.5G Video 80GB RockBox'ed with recent build.
sometimes old Panasonic CD Player

portable gaming:
iPod (Mainly Doom1 these days :headbang: ), occasionally GameBoy Colour I got for $10 esp Tetris & mario games.
foobar2000 v0.8.3 special installer (for tagging, fast SBE checking and sometimes playback)

Home Gaming:
Sega Genesis 6-Games-In-One reissue
MAME
SNES (mariokart rules)
cheap chinese 60-in-one NES system
RadioShack 'tv game' (pong... nobody will play me, I'm too good... or maybe too old :redface: )

soft video players:
winamp (see above)
VLC v0.8.4 (2nd choice, if I can't play it in winamp for some reason)
media player classic 6.4.6.5 (for generating thumbnails)

hard video players:
LG DVD player (what model? plays almost anything but wmv)
old SEARS TV
Toshiba HiFi stero VCR

Amp:
Harman/Kardon hk5901 with Technics SB1502 speakers

FM:
Technics ST-S78

Cassette:
Yamaha KX-650

TT:
Technics 1200mk3 (needs repair since I bought it :disbelief )

CD:
ancient CITIZEN walkman with RCA lineout (because it reminds me of a roommate I once had who used the exact same model for the commonroom stereo)

stealth recorder:
iPod with Griffin iTalk Pro/Belkin TuneTalk Stereo (also working on a hack for better control of levels etc)
Sony MZ-NH1 Hi-MD
also some others that I don't use as often

stealth mics:
Apex162
Sony ECM-ZS90

dorrcoq
2007-11-06, 06:12 PM
Not sure I have favourite computer stuff, and I'm not into gaming, but:

Stealth recorder - Edirol R-09
Audio players - foobar2000 0.8.3
WAV Editing software - CD Wave Editor, Audacity, Trader's Little Helper

KoolKat
2007-11-07, 05:25 AM
Hmm.................Five was bored :lol

K_K

Borlag
2007-11-07, 06:47 AM
Computer:
selfbuilt tabletop PC

Monitor:
LG Flatron L1715S x2

Windows 2000 Pro

HD:
just one? How about 2* WD MyBook 500GB, 1TB WD MyBook, 2*500GB WD internal, 2*300 Seagate internal, 1*120GB Seagate internal

CPU:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+

browser:
Firefox, latest

Extraction & Burning Drive:
Lite-On LH-18A1H

Extraction Software:
EAC

audio players:
Winamp 5.35 with up to date SHN and APE plugins and all of the unneccessary crap removed (as in all video, portable, podcasting etc crap)

WAV Editor:
Adobe Audition 1.5

soft video players:
PowerDVD / VLC

DVD player:
Denon DVD-2930

CD player:
Denon DCD-700AE

Amp:
Marantz PM11S1

stealth recorder:
Edirol R-09

stealth mics:
Church Audio STC-11

Some more gear, this time my guitar rig, all of them get used to, the '59 is my favorite though :

Recording/gigging guitars:
Fender Stratocaster '59
Fender Stratocaster '73
PRS McCarty
Gibson Les Paul Studio '91
MusicMan John Petrucci signature model, 6 string, no piezo

Recording/gigging amps:
Ampeg VT-40
Vox AC30
Carvin BelAir 212
selfbuilt 100W tubeamp, based on Mesa
selfbuilt 60W tubeamp, based on Mesa

Recording/gigging pedals:
11 selfbuilt Ibanez TS-9 clones, all with slightly different characteristics and base sounds
Dunlop CryBaby, can't remember exact model, it's the one with volume pedal built-in and true bypass
Boss Flanger, Chorus and Delay pedals
some old 70's Equalizer where the brand name has worn off over a decade ago
A closetfull of other random pedals that I use very rarely such as Octavers, Harmonizers and other gimmicks

Home rig:
ESP/LTD H-100FM
Epiphone SG from early 90's
customized Epiphone strat copy
ESP/LTD M-50
Roland Microcube
Ibanez TS-808
Vox Wah

Five
2007-11-07, 07:07 AM
Hmm.................Five was bored :lol

K_K
loaded :lol

I got to thinking about the electronic stuff I use day in day out right about now and what needs upgrading in terms of hardware and software. Then I got to wondering what its like for other ppl, if anybody's got a computer that's as out of date as mine etc :lol:

its not really supposed to be a list of anything and everything you own, mainly just the stuff that you use most often that's associated with taping/trading. I kind of got off track with the videogames but included that since portable gaming is like a walkman of a sort.

Oh yeah I use TLH, very old version that I should get to updating and sometimes still run FFE.

U2Lynne
2007-11-07, 10:11 AM
The main things I use:

- iMac 2.16 GHz Intel dual core yada, yada..
- OS 10.4 still
- Altec Lansing w/ sub-woofer speakers hooked up to it.
- iTunes and cog for playing music on there
- xACT for all lossless stuff
- firefox :loveff:
- iPod - gen3, it seems to be having some problems, so maybe a new one for Xmas :)

Kitchen also has Altec Lansing speakers set up (with a sub-woofer also) to hook up to my iPod when I'm cooking

Nothing fancy in the car. Just a five disc changer and standard radio.

xcv111
2007-11-07, 02:59 PM
How about speakers?
Quite essential. Aren't they? I have Gradient 1.3 speakers. About 17 years old already. Right. Ancient. Yeah. I do know this model don't go as low as 20 kHz. They are at their best when listening to acoustic music - not in your face r'n'r speakers at all. And yeah. I do know that a lot has happened at the speaker front since these speakers were made.

But anyway... At least Gradient 1.3 speakers were rewarded for their design, which make them just perfect for interior decorating. :D

If interested about their philosophy of making speakers - I assure there's something to think about even for pros - here are few links:
http://www.regonaudio.com/Gradients.html
http://www.gradient.fi/news

Five
2007-11-07, 03:04 PM
yeah I'm just using the Technics bookshelf speakers right now, gonna get NS-10s running soon enough. I've got a Yorkville I can use for bass too & gonna treat the room for flat response :thumbsup But gotta get my goddam roof replaced before I have that :( in a couple months I'll be rocking.

xcv111
2007-11-07, 03:12 PM
flat response
That's Gradient's philosophy in the nut shell.

AAR.oner
2007-11-07, 03:39 PM
yeah I'm just using the Technics bookshelf speakers right now, gonna get NS-10s running soon enough. I've got a Yorkville I can use for bass too & gonna treat the room for flat response :thumbsup But gotta get my goddam roof replaced before I have that :( in a couple months I'll be rocking.
that ain't bad at all, hell our speakers are ancient! running a pair of JVC SK-S44s i remember my pop's buying back when i was in grade school, and a 15+ yr old subwoofer [dbx db-SW15 Plus] that is in need of a new set of fuses at the moment...components are of course newer, run-of-the-mill technics & pioneer [on sale purchases]

but those speakers are still holding strong, despite years of metal and hip hop :lol

one day i'm hopin to score this 35-40 yr old sansui amp my dad got for his couzin in korea back in the early 70s [still running perfectly of course]...now thats a beautiful sounding piece of equipment

VonOben
2007-11-07, 04:11 PM
Oh, well...

Computers: Dual Xeons. Would like Quad Xeons.
Laptops: Dell, Fujitsu-Siemens etc.
OS#1: Windows Server 2003.
OS#2: FreeBSD.
Sound card: M-Audio Transit.

Pre-Amplifier: Kenwood Basic C1.
Power-Amplifiers: 2*Kenwood Basic M1.
Surround amplifier: Denon AV-2105.
Pretty looking pre- and poweramplifier: Sentec SE77+PA77
Main speakers: Ino Audio piP. (Equal to Guru Pro Audio QM10)
Sourround speakers: Carlsson OD-11.
Speakers that should be used somewhere: Carlsson OA-116.
Media-player: XBMC.
CD-player: Sony CDP-991.
Turntable: Mitsubishi DP200.
Pickup: Ortofon VMS20E MkII.
Caompact cassette player: Pioneer CT-S670D.

Stealth recordning device: Archos Gmini400.
Stealth microphones#1: Core Sound Binaural.
Stealth microphones#2: Sony ECM-DS70P.
Stealth microphones#3: Archos dynamic.

Time base corrector: Cypress Technology CTB-100G.
Digital SLR: Konica Minolta Dynax 7D.
Digital compact camera: Pentax Optio S3.

...now I'm boring myself.

VonOben
2007-11-07, 04:16 PM
yeah I'm just using the Technics bookshelf speakers right now, gonna get NS-10s running soon enough.

I don't want to be rude, but in my opinion you're better off with the Technics than a pair of NS-10s. Mixing anything below 100Hz with a pair of those are just guessing. :down:

Anything above 100Hz is almost guessing. :hmm:

Five
2007-11-07, 06:12 PM
industry standard for over 20 years might contradict what you're saying. of course you can't work on the bass on them, they're near field monitors. anyway, I already bought them. I don't want trendy genelecs I want what they used in the studios where they made zeppelin records.

ps no offense taken :wave:

SundayDriver
2007-11-07, 08:52 PM
Nice thread Five. If you are interested, here is some of the "equipment" that I use for this great hobby:

Computer:

Notebook purchased in August, 2005.
- 1.7 gHz Intel Pentium M Processor
- 512 MB Ram
- widescreen 17 inch display
- crappy QSI-SDW DVD/CD writer and reader drive

Software:

- EAC
- DVD Decrypter
- Nero
- FLAC front end, TLH, "AnalFreq"
- gSpot

- Winamp 5.33
- Cyberlink Power DVD 5
- VLC media player

- Adobe Audition 1.5
- iZotope Ozone 3 (VST plugin)
- Sound Forge 8.0
- Gold Wave
- CDWave

- Sony Vegas Video Editor 6.0
- Womble MPEG Video Wizard v03
- TMPG DVD Author v1.6
- DVD Lab Pro
- Virtual Dub

Recording Equipment (most of this equipment is no longer in use):

- Sony WMRS-10 tape recorder "walkman"
- Sharp MD MT-90
- iRiver iHP 120

- ECM-719
- SP-BMC-3 (un-modified Panasonic capsules)
- SP-CMC-2 (AT 831)

- 9 volt battery module with high pass filter

Playback Equipment:

- Sony MDR-V150 headphones

SundayDriver
2007-11-07, 08:59 PM
Ah, I forgot...

Internet Browser: Internet Explorer 7.0
Hard Drives:
- internal 70 gb hard drive
- 1 Western Digital 120 gb external USB hard drive
- 1 Western Digital 250 gb external USB hard drive
- 1 Maxtor 120 gb external USB hard drive

VonOben
2007-11-08, 01:40 AM
industry standard for over 20 years might contradict what you're saying.

Nope, it can't. And I can explain why, if you want me to. (It's an interesting story although I don't have all the details.)

If you don't want me to, let's just get back to sleep. ;) (Well, off the work actually.)

direwolf-pgh
2007-11-08, 10:05 AM
i have few electronics that are considered favorites.
but this piece of equipment fascinated me.

direwolf-pgh
2007-11-08, 10:07 AM
this would be the second item that i really enjoyed.

..now everything today just seems more of the same.

saltman
2007-11-08, 10:18 AM
i have few electronics that are considered favorites.
but this piece of equipment fascinated me.Do you still have that one? I have a IIc at home. and a Tandy 1000 and a 1000ex. I've got the tape drives and everything.

Just waiting for the Smithsonian to call any day now. Maybe I'll fire one up tonight in celebration of this thread.

direwolf-pgh
2007-11-08, 10:19 AM
as for software.. Mosaic.
-going from terminal to GUI was really cool.

using Peak (multitrack software on a mac) for the first time was a rush too.

Do you still have that one?nope :(
Ive seen them on ebay for a few $$$.. but figured I was just being nostalgic.
Using an emulator & some old text adventures confirmed this notion.

Five
2007-11-08, 10:37 AM
Nope, it can't. And I can explain why, if you want me to. (It's an interesting story although I don't have all the details.)

If you don't want me to, let's just get back to sleep. ;) (Well, off the work actually.)
if you feel like it, tell me all about it. almost every pro studio photo I see at the mixer, there's those NS-10s sitting there. Seems strange that you're saying you can only hear 100Hz and nothing above or below :hmm:

VonOben
2007-11-08, 11:12 AM
if you feel like it, tell me all about it. almost every pro studio photo I see at the mixer, there's those NS-10s sitting there. Seems strange that you're saying you can only hear 100Hz and nothing above or below :hmm:

Well ok, I'll keep it short. No need to get into very long arguments about the NS-10. :)

First of all, it has a very, very non-linear response. For some measurements see page 2, on the right, here: http://www.lts.a.se/artiklar/YamahaNS10.pdf

Worse, the response vary extremly with the angle. What sounds right sitting one way sounds very different if you move your head a couple of inches. (Lack of integration between the tweeter and woofer makes this happen, as well as a very bad cross-over.)

Even worser, the non-linear response is very different from almost any other speaker. Some argue that these reflects what most people use at home, but it's the other way around, really. They sound like nothing else.

There are other cons as well, but these will do. :)

The most common way to tweak these bastards are by letting a napkin hang in front of the tweeter, that should speak for itself.

Now, one thing that is (or,really, were) good about these boxes are that most studios have (had) them, that way you worked with familiar equipment.

So, how did these become popular? Party it's the swedish public service radio's fault! They, SR, had (have?) a very good reputation in the world for creating top notch quality program material. SR were about to replace all of their studio monitors (that's alot) in the late 70s, and arranged a sort of competition for loudspeaker manufacturers. The NS-10 won this, and were placed in all of SRs studios. Now, you might wonder, why did SR choose them if they aren't any good?

Well, Yamaha knew about SRs reputation, and gave SR all the speakers _for free_! Something they haven't regret. :lol:

PS. On page 3 in that linked PDF, on the left, is the schematics on how to build a NS-10 "simulator" if you want your ordinary, reasonable flat, speakers to sound like the NS-10. It can, unfortunately, do miracles with alot of 80s material since it corrects for the mistakes* that were made in the mix due to the use of the NS-10. Eurytmics is a good example.

Anyhow, the bottom line here... if you like them, use them. Be happy! :) But keep in mind that there are nothing "transparent" about them.

* = the simulator can ofcourse not simulate the bad integration between the elements.

Five
2007-11-08, 12:09 PM
hey thanks so much for posting that's great info. I can at least try to get the room almost flat (maybe use some other speakers for tweaking that :lol: ).

a friend of mine recommended them to me, and now that you mentioned it I recall him telling me about the spike in the mids and generally uneven response. he said legend has it that if you can make it sound good on NS-10s it will sound good on anything (ok except for bass you can't check that on these obviously). I know you'll disagree but that kind of a legend/myth is the kind I have to investigate :D I'll give them a chance and if they don't work out I should be able to get about the same that I paid for them on eBay and buy something else that's better. what is your recommendation for replacement near field monitors for studio use, then?

I wish I could read more of that pdf... for the circuit there, the resistors with values without the "k" appearing are ohms? the rest is really straightforward.

ps your english is quite good, really :wave:

xcv111
2007-11-08, 02:02 PM
Finnish Broadcast Company (YLE) have mostly Genelec speakers as monitors. Those babies might be a decent choise. Of course only if you are prepared put some real money down. :D

Five
2007-11-08, 02:29 PM
haha ... I was mentioning them a few posts back

something like $5,000USD, right? :eek:

I've heard them and also the mackie clones. for some reason I'm not keen on them at all, but may have to reconsider. They are awesome for impressing clients because anything you play on them sounds better than it really is :D

xcv111
2007-11-08, 02:57 PM
something like $5,000USD, right? :eek:
Yup. Genlec speakers are pretty costly. Possibly also because of being active speakers with built-in amplification.
I've heard them and also the mackie clones. for some reason I'm not keen on them at all, but may have to reconsider. They are awesome for impressing clients because anything you play on them sounds better than it really is :D
Yup. I was quite impressed when I heard them - made The Cramps sound like Pink Floyd. It's quite essential to have top notch speakers when listening to The Cramps. :D

And they are great interior decoration solution as well - they are pretty good looking with them sexy curved and rounded edges. :D

Five
2007-11-08, 03:52 PM
YES :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

AAR.oner
2007-11-08, 06:17 PM
i like the Alesis M1s for inexpensive, near-field monitors...great bass response when working with LF-heavy music [especially hip hop, jungle/DnB, etc], and extremely flat response...obviously not the greatest monitors in the world, but at under $500 a pair, they give most monitors twice the price a run for their money

here's an interesting article about em, with comparisons to the Genelec 1031s and the NS-10s ;)
http://mixguides.com/studiomonitors/Reviews/alesis-m1-1099/

VonOben
2007-11-09, 08:39 AM
he said legend has it that if you can make it sound good on NS-10s it will sound good on anything (ok except for bass you can't check that on these obviously). I know you'll disagree but that kind of a legend/myth is the kind I have to investigate :D

Yea, I'm familiar with that legend. I can see the point while I still disagree. ;)

what is your recommendation for replacement near field monitors for studio use, then?

The ones I use, although they are difficult to buy. They are called Ino Audio piP: http://mordvap.net/filer/pip.jpg

There are a comercial version of these aswell, called Guru QM10. Much, much more expensive but also much easier to buy. Their ancestor, the piP, are performing equally but can for ideological reasons only be bought on location in Stockholm. :(

Here's a second opinion: http://www.avguide.com/news/2007/10/18/rocky-mt-2007-harley-calls-sjofn-biggest-bargain/

The piP's are much cheaper, around 4200SEK (ca £320, $665), if you assembly them yourself, wich takes about an hour. The downside is ofcourse that you'll have to find someone in Stockholm that can send them to you.

With -3dB at 34Hz, they are really unbeleivable. I would not trade these for anything else that I've heard, besides their bigger brother pi60s. (But that's a leap up to £3200, $6700... :( Not to mention the commercial version of the pi60s: Guru QM40...) Picture of pi60s: http://www.minhembio.com/bild/77851.jpg

I think the Genelecs are okey, but not really blistering. We have an expensive 5.1 Genelec setup at work and it's nice to pump out Iron Maidens DVD Rock in Rio while watching the show on the 315" Hitachi video wall... but I wouldn't trade my piP's for that speaker setup. (There's a factor x37 in price difference.)

B&W produces some nice speakers. Carlsson are great but not for monitoring and can only be found second hand. NHT makes some really good loudspeakers!

I wish I could read more of that pdf... for the circuit there, the resistors with values without the "k" appearing are ohms? the rest is really straightforward.

Yes, that's Ohm. Without any prefix. I'll check if there's any english version of that article, otherwise I could try to make a quick n' dirty translation.

ps your english is quite good, really :wave:

Thank you. :) Partly that's because we do not dub movies/tv-programs here. :)

Homebrew101
2007-11-09, 10:33 AM
PC is home made (from a friend) with Intel Core 2 Duo 6600, 2 gig RAM, with 250 gig and 400 gig internal hard drives; Lite-On LH-20A1P & Lite-On SHM-165P6S dvd burners (the 165P6S is on it's last legs after thousands of burns)
Firefox for browsing, I mainly use Foobar2000 for pc playback and ripping mp3's for my Creativer Muvo1000 2 gig mp3 player

The problem with my Lite-On burners is they cannot be set for offset correction, I have tried and they do not have a consistent offset :mad:

Home stereo: Snell Type A speakers :D (made in 1977, purchased used for a steal at $1300 in 1982, factory updated in 2000), Counterpoint SA7 tube pre-amp, Audire Forte amp, Oracle Alexandria turntable with a Grado Ruby cartridge. Additional equipment for surround sound (video only - prefer audio in 2 channel) NAD 916 6 channel amp bridged to 3 channels (2 rear and center front), Fosgate surround processor (outdated, need to replace someday as only up to Dolby Pro Logic); Sony cd & dvd players (nothing special here)

VonOben
2007-11-09, 12:45 PM
Home stereo: Snell Type A speakers :D

Oh. Those are pretty babies too. :)

All older Snell's are.

chinajoe
2007-11-10, 07:34 PM
wow. way too technical for me. i'll keep it simple:

toilet paper--two ply

AAR.oner
2007-11-11, 01:58 AM
:lol :clap:

xcv111
2007-11-11, 07:27 AM
toilet paper--two ply
Wov! Are they costly? :D

VonOben
2007-11-12, 03:19 PM
Here's a second opinion: http://www.avguide.com/news/2007/10/18/rocky-mt-2007-harley-calls-sjofn-biggest-bargain/

And a third opinon: http://www.sonicflare.com/archives/rmaf-07-sjofn-guru-av-speaker-system.php

Paul56
2007-11-12, 09:33 PM
Interesting, I think I need some upgrades ~

Internet: Comcast 8M> Linksys 330N > Motorola VT4224 >
Net Gear Wireless WN311T >

Computer: Pentium Dual Core ~ CPU 2.80 GHz x2 ~ 4GB ram
HD: Internal WD-160 GB, WDC-500GB ~ External WDC-500GB
Monitor: Dell 21" wide screen
DVD/CD: Sony DVD/CD RW
Speakers/Subwoofer: Labtec & Apple power

Software: Windows XP ~ SP2, Trader's Little Helper, FooBar2000,
Exact Audio Copy, Nero 8 package, Nero Photo Show, dbpoweramp,
Flac frontend

Playback: dbpoweramp > ALAC Lossless > iPod 80GB Video >
Neo Car Audio adapter

Stereo: Toshiba XB-1507, Memorex DVD, Toshiba VCR, Wii, Sony 100 CD player.
Speakers/Subwoofer: Infinity home theater

Guitars: electric ~ '59 LP ri, Stratocastor-'82 & '92cs, '82/'52 ri Telecaster, '84-335cs, '92 PRS, Hamer, '81 Ric 4001; acoustic ~ Breedlove Gerhard MC, Martin 000-28EC, Hill Classical, Larivee OM-03; amps ~ Fender Hot Rod Delux, Custom Bass, Genz Benz;sounds ~ Line 6 Podxt, firepod 8; recording ~ CuBase.

Having a grand old time !

Darwin72
2007-11-13, 10:42 PM
I'm totally new at the torrent hobby but have learned vast amounts about things in the past month. Here's my basic equipment:

Computer:
Home built desktop with AMD Dual Core 5800
2GB memory
DVD-RW etc
250GB drive (with only 80GB left in 4 months! I'll be getting an external soon)
Windows Vista Premium (some things are great, some things suck. XP is better)

Router: Linksys WGS54G Wireless (yes the stock admin login has been changed) I use the trigger on port function instead of using a specific port each time for torrents.

Software: (I'm in the process of trying free utilities)
uTorrent 1.75 (I tried Azareus but didn't care for it, I don't want a HTTP window to open while I'm downloading)

Nero 8 Suite for Wave editing etc.

MediaMonkey V2.55: (this is way better for setting up and retagging MP3's and other formats then most things I've tried. I liked it so much I bought the lifetime license/updates version). This will automatically convert a FLAC file into MP3 as it loads music into my portable device too.

Walkman type device(Ha! I'm a product born in the early sixties so I call all iPod related devices Walkmans): iRiver CLIX 2GB generation 1. I also have a utility that will convert AVi into the right size to play on CLIX.

VLC media player V0.8.6: Vista/WMP V11 checks for codecs and won't play if it decides somethings not right. No worries with VLC.

Stereo Equipment: Some 4 year old Sony desktop thing. I can patch a line into the digital input of my soundcard to convert tapes into a wave file.

Darwin72

steamshooter
2007-11-15, 05:28 AM
Computer: HP 866MHZ 383 MB ram Gonna build new soon.
Delta Audiophile 24/96 sound card. Realistic Sta-19 reciever w/
Minimus 7 (4" woofs, soft dome tweets)
OS's:Linux Ubuntu Studio - Win 98 (only for Cool Edit)

HD: Seagate 160 GB -WD? 30 GB

Browser: Swiftfox

Burner: Asus

Player:Linux- Rhythmbox w/ FLAC - MP3(Lame)- SHN. Win98 -WinAmp 2.? +EAC
Lame 3.97

Wave Editor: Linux-Audacity, Gnome Wave Cleaner. Win98- Cool Edit Pro

Bittorrent: Azureus

Hard Video/CD- Phillips

Reciever- Marantz 4230 Quad

Analog Sources: TT-Technics SL1200 modified to play 78s, fluid damper, Shure
V15VxMR. Yamaha K-950 cassette (need repair). Akai GX-4000D
reel2reel. Teac 4070G reel2reel. Zenith 8-track recorder.
Speakers- Realistic Mach IIs - 3-way 15" woofs, 6" mids, horn tweets. Sensitivity
in the ninety-something db 1 watt 1 meter range.
Source Material: 1200 + records and counting.(45-33-78-7"-10"-12") All kinds from Rock to Bach
Silver Coasters: 500? and counting. No idea on tapes.
I hope that was boring enough for you :D

Brad

dementrium
2007-11-15, 02:15 PM
I am in love with...

Monitor:
ViewSonic VG920

Programming editor:
UltraEdit

Devel soft:
Ruby on Rails

Amplifier:
Yamaha AX-496 (Love the pure-direct switch, thus no eq & no pre-amp)

My dog:
pictured above.

Not much in love with the speakers:
Technics SBLX 90 (yes, they are huge but lack a little on the hi freqs).

EDIT: for completeness.

Cassette deck:
Technics RS TR232

Cd player:
Kenwood

Dvd player:
A generic one that I love to replace every year.

Dvd recorder:
Another generic which I don't want to replace in the near future.

dementrium
2007-11-15, 02:34 PM
I don't want to be rude, but in my opinion you're better off with the Technics than a pair of NS-10s. Mixing anything below 100Hz with a pair of those are just guessing. :down:

Anything above 100Hz is almost guessing. :hmm:

What are NS-10s? Yamaha speakers? :hmm:
Because, I tried some (before going Technics) and they pretty sucked: all in all, muffled (or muddy?) sound.

dementrium
2007-11-15, 02:43 PM
:pw:

Forgot to add...

Proudly, NOT an owner of a home theatre.
Sadly, around here is almost impossible to get a decent stereo amp. :down:

Ok, thank you. :pw:

VonOben
2007-11-15, 03:26 PM
What are NS-10s?

Yep. Note: They have nothing but the name in common with the Yamaha NS-1000.

Looks like this: http://www.skidmore.edu/academics/music/att/yamahaspeakers.jpg

possessed
2007-11-15, 07:12 PM
My 24 inch widescreen Syncmaster 244T. 8bit, professional grade monitor. No off axis problems, beautiful colors, PIP, HD compliant, multiple inputs, landscape or portrait mode.

My Klipsch V2-400's. First THX certified computer speakers. They may not be the best anymore but they still rock. 400 watt's babeee.

My Klipsch iGroove's. Makes my iPod sound spectacular at work. And I can crank it loud enough to piss off a construction site. :thumbsup

And another favorite, Peggle. It's like fucking crack. Damn you PopCap. :lol

dcbullet
2007-11-15, 07:23 PM
I've got a bunch of gear that I'll post when I'm drunk and posting.

In the mean time, the absolute best piece of technology to come along for me in the last few years is the DVR. Oh my god how that has transformed my life. I never realized there were soooo many shows that I would be interested in! And I can watch them twice as fast!

DVR is great.

possessed
2007-11-15, 07:45 PM
And I can watch them twice as fast!

DVR is great.
:roflol: :roflol:

Five
2007-11-16, 11:37 AM
Analog Sources: TT-Technics SL1200 modified to play 78s
too cool... do you use a normal cartridge for 78s or do you need a different needle for that? my old phono I had as a kid you had to flip the cartridge to get a different needle when playing 78s (as well as adjust the speed control).

Kenny Smoke
2007-11-21, 07:22 AM
Internet >Verizon DSL

PC>Athalon XP3300>1gig ram>300 gig internal drive> 200 gig internal drive>Soundblaster Audigy Platinum EX soundcard w/ breakout box>Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96 soundcard (4 simultanious input)

Software>Soundforge 8>Cubase SX2>Sony Vegas>Traders Little Helper> VLC Media Player> BSpro Player>Winamp 5.5>>Nero> Roxio Creator Classic>Bit Torrent 6.0> too many programs to list

Guitars
Epi '56 Goldtop
Epi LP Standard Black(customized with Gibson 57 Classics and Grover , Gold Gibson hardware, 5 ply pickguard)
Epi LP Standard Heritage Cherry Flame top stock
Epi G400 stock
Epi 1974 FT570SB Jumbo Acoustic mint condition (installed Dean Markley undersaddle pickup)
Cort Earth 200 Acoustic
Fender Mexican Strat w/ Texas Special pickups
Fender Telecaster '72 Thinline
Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Precision Bass Fender Squire Tele Custom II
Fender Concord Acoustic
Washburn Acoustic electric
Ovation Celebrity CS257
Ibanez RG
Harmony Flying v
Silvertone Acoustic '50's
Regal Acoustic '60's

Amplifiers
Peavy Delta Blues

Kenny Smoke
2007-11-21, 07:47 AM
Add to Above.

Amps

Fender Acoustisnic Jr.
Yamaha G100-115II
Fender Bassman100

Soundboard
Mackie 1604

Mics
Shure SM 57's (6)
Seinheiser MD421 (3)
Behringer C-2's (2)

Studio Monitors
Behringer Truth 2031A's pair and 2092A subwoofer

I've got lots of other stuff I'll list later...

Peace!
Kenny :)-~~~~

steamshooter
2007-11-21, 12:18 PM
too cool... do you use a normal cartridge for 78s or do you need a different needle for that? my old phono I had as a kid you had to flip the cartridge to get a different needle when playing 78s (as well as adjust the speed control).

Five, I grew up with that type too. The V15xMR has a replaceable stylus. One for micro-groove (33s) and one for wide grooves (78s). Basicaly the same as you remember except you physically change the stylus. The cartridge stays on the tonearm.