PDA

View Full Version : Drive will not read

Festafarian
2007-11-05, 08:15 AM
I've been googling for days and I still can't figure this out....

Sometimes when I insert a disk into my drive, it just wont read it. The only remedy is to uninstall the drive and reboot. The problem is that it is getting more & more frequent. Even when it does read the disk, it never reads the disk label (unless I reboot)

I can't seem to narrow it down because it's so random. +rs or -rs, different brands of disks doesn't seem to matter. odd thing is that although I have issues reading disks, it will burn just fine.

I thought that maybe it might be the IDE cable...does this make sense?
Has anyone else run across this?

saltman
2007-11-05, 09:13 AM
I doubt it's the cable or you would probably have no response at all. It's possible but unlikely. Sounds to me like the drive is going bad. How old is it? It might help to update the firmware if this is a new drive and it had some bugs that needed to be worked out. What brand of drive and how old would be good to know.

MourningStar
2007-11-05, 10:14 AM
I think it's getting old too. Mine does the same thing (factory discs read ok-most of the time) and has gotten worse over the years. It's 7 years old. Thankfully, it is still burns.

KoolKat
2007-11-05, 11:50 AM
Same thing happened to me last year...i mean exact same.I even gave the makers a Kat bark...lol

New one needed bud

K_K