PDA

View Full Version : Playback head adjustment

mike1061
2007-10-25, 10:25 AM
I'm intrested in getting good cassette deck that is easy to adjust the azimuth durnig playback. I have tapes recorded on lots of different decks, so I think the head would be changed a lot. I don't even mind cutting a hole in the front of the deck, I just want it to be fairly easy.
I've read that the Nak CR-7 has adjustage playback heads from the front panel, via a knob or lever. Are there other decks that the adjustment is that easy?
Thanks Mike

Five
2007-10-25, 02:29 PM
there's another Nak called 'dragon' that has auto-azimuth adjustment, but I've been told that there's trouble with that one because it searches for the correct setting, then keeps shifting during playback :down: a techie told me its a popular mod to add an 'off' switch for it, so that it can find the best azimuth setting, then you can turn the damn thing off so it stops adjusting all the time.

anyhow, I haven't used one of those pricy decks, just wanted to chime in. if you use a screwdriver make sure that it isn't magnetized. :wave:

AAR.oner
2007-10-25, 04:05 PM
if you use a screwdriver make sure that it isn't magnetized. :wave:
:lol some things "go without saying", yet i've done em myself without thinking

mike1061
2007-10-25, 05:12 PM
Yes, and I've herd you can get plastic ones too.
Thanks Mike

AAR.oner
2007-10-25, 05:41 PM
here's a place someone recommended to me for finding analogue gear:
http://www.prodigitalinc.com/equipment.html

online list looks out of date, i'd call them and tell em what yer looking for, they might have a Nak or Tascam that'll do what you need

mike1061
2007-10-25, 07:27 PM
Yeah, the list is 11/06, but I'll email them.
I could also email some of the other sites I found, but what I was thinking was, to get input from people who weren't trying to sell me something.
Thanks Mike

GRC
2007-10-26, 05:12 AM
If you're going to drill a hole in a deck with an internal azimuth screw, have an assistant standing by with a vacuum cleaner running to keep all the debris from the drilling away from the internals of the cassette deck.

If you want to get the azimuth 'back to where you started from' for any reason, might be an idea to invest in some alignment tapes to give you a reference point.

That's all I got for now...

Regards, Graham

mike1061
2007-10-26, 08:44 AM
All right, thanks.
Mike