PDA

View Full Version : PAL to NTSC Conversion Program

CAFeathers
2007-10-17, 10:06 AM
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, I did look and didn't find an answer.

Is there a FREE PAL to NTSC Conversion Program that is recommended?

Thanks.

scratchie
2007-10-17, 10:58 AM
I don't know if there's a free PAL-to-NTSC program at all, let alone recommended, and it's my understanding that you won't get decent results without professional-quality software.

It's far easier to get a cheap all-region DVD player.

U2Lynne
2007-10-17, 11:11 AM
Yep, much easier to get a cheap DVD player to play them (for some reason, the expensive ones won't play both PAL and NTSC). You can find a list of players here: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers?DVDname=&Search=Search&dvdportable=&dvdchanger=&dvdtv=&multisystem=1&chipset=&orderby=Name&hits=50&listall=List+All+Alphabetical

That site is also where you would find a tutorial to convert your videos if that is what you decide to do. It should be said that you should only convert them for your own personal use and only trade the original video.

scratchie
2007-10-17, 01:11 PM
Another possibility, depending on your TV and computer hardware, is to plug the computer into the TV and watch PAL videos that way.

twistafatty
2007-10-17, 03:18 PM
Use IFO Edit it's free and works great......HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.........

scratchie
2007-10-17, 04:00 PM
Use IFO Edit it's free and works great......HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.........IFO Edit does not convert any video. All it does is edit a text file on the DVD which will fool some DVD players into playing a PAL video because they think it's NTSC. This only works if the DVD player already has a PAL-to-NTSC converter built in, in which case you can probably unlock the region coding with a simple code and forgo the whole IFOEdit thing altogether.

pawel
2007-10-17, 04:50 PM
Forget about any free encoder as the output quality would be very poor. Bear in mind that PAL has 25 frames per second, while NTSC 29.97. Encoder has to make interpolation tricks to get additional and not existing pictures. In most cases, after many hours, you will end up with ghosts flying all around, frozen frames and so.

Good quality encoder costs between $100 (TMPGEnc) to $500 (Canopus), much more than not so bad standalone player capable to play both formats.

And... PAL is superior to NTSC :D

blues12
2007-10-31, 11:34 PM
You can use Nero to convert

olddude
2007-11-02, 09:43 PM
If you use a Mac, VisualHub is excellent (at least it is for PAL>NTSC conversions). Not free, but not a $100 either.