PDA

View Full Version : Belkin Router problems galore

undeath
2005-03-10, 09:20 PM
I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my cousin's router/computers, and I thought I'd also post this here to see if someone else knows already what's going on here.

The router is a Belkin router. They have DSL.

Here's the story I was given:

Once upon a time, all the computers got email. But then they got a new router. And then they had problems getting online. Then they fixed the problem through the main computer. But then none of the computers could get email. That's where they are now.

Does anyone know what the problem is? It would save a lot of Google drama...

Spelunker
2005-03-10, 10:18 PM
your avatar might be freaking out people. ;)

U2Lynne
2005-03-10, 10:45 PM
Who are they getting email from (the ISP they subscribe to)? (SBCYahoo has been having problems lately.)

undeath
2005-03-10, 11:04 PM
Who are they getting email from (the ISP they subscribe to)? (SBCYahoo has been having problems lately.)

I think it's any email. One computer receives email no problem from anywhere and the other 4 don't.

undeath
2005-03-10, 11:06 PM
your avatar might be freaking out people. ;)

Have to desensitize the public any way I can.

undeath
2005-03-10, 11:08 PM
I'm asking that question now. They'll be back soon...

undeath
2005-03-10, 11:17 PM
They have Verizon. And the email works on only the main computer. Not the 4 other computers.

U2Lynne
2005-03-10, 11:27 PM
What do you mean by 'Main' computer? Perhaps they have DHCP enabled and the other computers have specific IPs (192.168.1.xxx for each computer).

I don't know what you mean by Main (where is this computer in the main scheme of things compared to the others), so I'm not sure how to answer.

undeath
2005-03-10, 11:30 PM
When I set up my router, I used one computer that I called the Main Computer. It's just the first one that was set up. The other 4 were connected after that and they didn't work with the router at first. Now they do and the first one hooked up is the only one that has working email (I'm assuming Outlook Express).

U2Lynne
2005-03-10, 11:36 PM
I think it is the DHCP then. Take a look at your router and see if it is enabled or disabled.

If it's enabled, then tell all the other computers you are using DHCP. If it is disabled, then make sure your computers know you are not using DHCP and assign them each a local IP addy.

undeath
2005-03-10, 11:43 PM
Could you give a short step by step? I don't know how to explain it, and I'm not there. I have to tell them this through an IM. Sounds like it could work, though...

U2Lynne
2005-03-10, 11:56 PM
Unfortunately, I can't. I'm not using a Belkin and I'm not on a PC.

I tried looking on the belkin site, but there are so many routers that I don't feel like reading them all. DHCP is a tab on my Linksys. It's a pretty basic feature and I would imagine it is a tab for them too.

feralicious
2005-03-11, 01:20 AM
your avatar might be freaking out people. ;)Well you know what they say... the guys who have to brag about it... same thing probably applies to guys who have to put it in their avatar. :lol

undeath
2005-03-11, 02:18 AM
Well you know what they say... the guys who have to brag about it... same thing probably applies to guys who have to put it in their avatar. :lol

I just wanted to see what kind of reaction I'd get. At first it was positive...

This new one is better anyway. I might actually resize a live concert picture that looks good in a smaller size.

RainDawg
2005-03-11, 07:23 AM
I like the avatar.....

Anyhow, I really can't help with the router without some more information. All of the external computers are unable to connect to the internet at all, or just to email? Are they all using the same POP/SMTP email servers, or on different ones?