PDA

View Full Version : Concerts used for Radio Broadcasts?

Dubwise12
2007-10-04, 03:38 PM
My friend is going to have me on his radio station and he wants me to play a live Bob Marley Concert. It got me thinking that if sites like this that are aloud to share and download live concert with only a few bands being an exception, then could you not play live concerts on the radio without it being a legal issue?

Anyone have any info on this topic let me know. thanks, dub.

dcbullet
2007-10-04, 03:56 PM
I have no legal advice.

However, a radio station around here plays songs from bootleg Zeppelin concerts all the time.

Are you concerned about your own liability or are you concerned for your friend's station?

Dubwise12
2007-10-04, 06:11 PM
Concerned about the radio stations liability. I also have known stations to play bootlegs and one station used to have the Little Feat Hr and many have had Dead hours.

Karst
2007-10-05, 05:22 AM
If it is a proper radiostation then they will have a legal team or some way to get advice. I'd try that.

Gregster75
2007-10-05, 11:19 AM
I imagine that it could be a problem. Sharing the tapes is something different than playing it on the radio. For example, the radio station has to pay something to the artist who they are playing (usually through some agency), because they are a business making money with their program. Besides, the artist or the holders of the music rights could have some concerns if they think that the recording is not representing the true abilities of the artist. But like Karst said, the people at the station should usually know about the legal issues which may differ depending on your home country.

Five
2007-10-05, 11:54 AM
also, you could speak 'off the record' with some ppl at those stations you know of in your area that do these kind of broadcasts and get some opinions from them. but in the end, the radio station you want to broadcast the shows from has the most important opinion.

rhinowing
2007-10-05, 10:23 PM
As long as its not a huge station in a major market or anything, I think you're cool...