PDA

View Full Version : Demonoid troubles?

Audioarchivist
2007-09-24, 11:47 PM
Hey folks, just wondering, are there any Demonoid users out there?
Are you having problems finding it? I either get a blank page or a failure to connect today? I was on this morn with no prob, but now it's dead.
I'm hoping for some temporary problems. Anyone know anything about it?
I read some crazy article about the MPAA coming down hard on trackers in the USA starting today. American access to certain trackers was supposed to be blocked or some crazy stuff like that...
What's up with that?

U2Lynne
2007-09-25, 12:39 AM
I just tried to hit the site and had problems too. I just ran a trace on it and it went through just fine, as did a ping of the site. So, something is definitely up.

Audioarchivist
2007-09-25, 03:53 AM
Last week, Demonoid’s ISP was forced to take a smaller BitTorrent site offline. So, when the Demonoid site failed to respond this morning, many expected the worst.

demonoidUpdate:
Anti-Piracy Organization Tries to Shut Down Demonoid

However, the current downtime of Demonoid has nothing to do with legal actions, but with hardware issues. The Demonoid team says they are currently replacing harddrives, and that it could take a few days before the site is back up.

The timeline given indicated that this is more than a regular hardware update. The downtime is probably caused by harddrive failure.

The official announcement in the Demonoid IRC channel is:

“Site offline for a few days while harddrives get replaced”

At this point it is still uncertain if any data is permanently lost or how long it will take to get things up and running. According to one of the admins It looks like the most recent data is lost for good. The good news is that there are backups, but these are a few days old.

Luckily the Demonoid trackers are not affected by the downtime. Demonoid is still one of the most used trackers, any downtime of the tracker will make thousands of torrents unusable in clients without DHT and multi-tracker support.

Update:

Demonoid placed this message on the frontpage:

We had a system problem which will force us to restore everything from backup.
The disks are pretty much empty right now and until we are able to upload the backup and set up everything up, we have to close down.

I found this somehow after a few well placed clicks...
At least now I know, and, well, you do too!

Audioarchivist
2007-09-25, 03:56 AM
so, next page I saw had more potentially troubling news...The Dutch anti-piracy outfit BREIN filed a subpoena against Demonoid’s ISP (Leaseweb) in which they demand that the site will be taken offline. It seems likely that Demonoid’s current downtime is not a hardware problem, they are probably moving to another ISP.

breinYesterday we reported that the downtime at demonoid was caused by a harddisk crash, but now it seems that the real reason for the downtime could be a bit more complicated.

Demonoid is probably relocating to a new “safe haven” as we speak, this also explains why it takes a few days instead of a few hours to get back online (edit: see update).

Tim Kuik, managing director of BREIN, said in response to the downtime at Demonoid (Dutch link): “They are probably playing hide and seek. We want Leaseweb to take and keep this, and other illegal sites offline.”

This the the fist time that BREIN takes on one of the bigger BitTorrent sites. Last week they won a lawsuit against Leaseweb in a similar case, this could spell trouble for Demonoid.

In this case the Amsterdam court decided that Leaseweb had to take down everlasting.nu and hand over the name and address of the owner. Additionally, Leaseweb was forced to take down everlasting.nu, in case the site returns in the near future. The same thing could now happen to Demonoid.

Nearly 94% of the .torrent files on Demonoid are used to download copyrighted material according to research by TNO. BREIN will probably use this figure in court to convince the Judge that Demonoid is mainly used to download infringing content.

Update: Demonoid now has a message on the frontpage stating that the downtime is not related to the subpoena.

Stay tuned for updates

Audioarchivist
2007-09-26, 01:39 AM
Has anyone else heard or know anything about this stuff?

The site is still not there.

krokodyle
2007-09-26, 12:08 PM
Pulled from another site:

"As of now it is still unsure what exactly happened, but the popular Dutch news site nu.nl reports that the CRIA is responsible for the downtime.

TorrentFreak contacted some of the Demonoid administrators, but they are not sure what happened either. It is certainly possible that Demonoid’s Canadian ISP pulled the plug after being pressured by the CRIA. The ISP said before that they would take it down if they would receive complaints.

Right now, the Demonoid server is still pinging, but the ISP could have firewalled the everything after they received some serious legal threats. Deimos, the founder and the head admin of the site is unreachable and has not responded yet.

This is not the first time Demonoid suffers major downtime due to pressure from the anti-piracy lobby. Demonoid had to move its servers from The Netherlands to Canada in June after The Dutch anti-piracy outfit BREIN filed a subpoena against Demonoid’s ISP. BREIN had asked the ISP to take Demonoid offline and hand over the administrator’s personal details, but Demonoid relocated their servers before any harm was done.

Unfortunately, it now seems that Canada is not the “safe haven” as they expected it to be. It is likely that Demonoid has to relocate again, for the second time in three months.

Demonoid tracks over a million .torrent files and is the second largest BitTorrent tracker after The Pirate Bay. The shutdown of the site and tracker is a huge blow for the BitTorrent community that lost 2 of the most popular BitTorrent trackers (TorrentBox was taken offline for US users a few hours ago) within 24 hours."

http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-shut-down-by-cria-070925/

rhinowing
2007-09-26, 08:20 PM
demonoid is gone i would assume. and isohunt closed their US trackers yesterday.

greenheatherc
2007-09-26, 10:43 PM
:disbelief :disbelief

Trader Dave
2007-09-26, 10:52 PM
:disbelief :disbelief :disbelief :disbelief

Trader Dave
2007-09-26, 10:53 PM
demonoid is gone i would assume. and isohunt closed their US trackers yesterday.
As of earlier today, we have disabled access from users in the US to our trackers, until further notice. This goes for ALL trackers (torrentbox, podtropolis) we run. This is due to the US's hostility towards P2P technologies, and we feel with our current lawsuit brought by the MPAA, we can no longer ensure your security and privacy in the US. So, if you're outside the US, you may notice less peers. We encourage you to add other public, unhampered trackers to torrents you post, in addition to Torrentbox and Podtropolis's trackers.

THIS IS ONLY REGARDING TRACKERS OWNED BY ISOHUNT.COM NOT 3RD PARTY TRACKERS -- DO NOT CONTACT ME PRIVATELY ABOUT THE CHANGE IN POLICY

Update: Spike
Apparently some P2P news sites are falsely reporting that we are blocking US visitors from using the isoHunt website itself. Let me say this is NOT the case. As reported above we are blocking US visitors ONLY to the BitTorrent TRACKERS we run. This will NOT affect torrents obtained from isoHunt unless these torrents only use said trackers that are isoHunt operated.

dcbullet
2007-09-27, 01:30 AM
Just go down and shoplift your CD's and DVD's from the store. You can still get your stuff for free no problem.

pawel
2007-09-27, 05:21 AM
This is funny:

As reported in the news lately, Comcast Communications, a US cable company with pretty widespread marketshare has, without prior warning, is preventing its customers from uploading (seeding) via the bittorrent protocol. If you're a comcast customer, I would suggest letting them know that you're not appreciative.

More info from a user affected: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/08/21/comcast-is-starting-the-tiered-internet-whether-we-like-it-or-not/

splumer
2007-09-27, 08:44 AM
Hmmm, I downloaded a bunch of .pdf's from Demonoid yesterday with no problem. It took a while, but they downloaded. :hmm:

Trader Dave
2007-09-27, 02:53 PM
This is funny:

As reported in the news lately, Comcast Communications, a US cable company with pretty widespread marketshare has, without prior warning, is preventing its customers from uploading (seeding) via the bittorrent protocol. If you're a comcast customer, I would suggest letting them know that you're not appreciative.

More info from a user affected: http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/08/21/comcast-is-starting-the-tiered-internet-whether-we-like-it-or-not/
:disbelief

Why would anyone need a fast connection to read e-mails? They better rethink that. :lol

Trader Dave
2007-09-27, 02:56 PM
Just go down and shoplift your CD's and DVD's from the store. You can still get your stuff for free no problem.
yeah, that's exactly what it's like.

I mostly use it for quad recordings that have been made into 5.1. It would be too time consuming for me to buy old recordings from ebay and do that myself.

dcbullet
2007-09-27, 03:34 PM
yeah, that's exactly what it's like.

I mostly use it for quad recordings that have been made into 5.1. It would be too time consuming for me to buy old recordings from ebay and do that myself.

bwahahaha! I knew you'd love that.

Trader Dave
2007-09-27, 03:44 PM
bwahahaha! I knew you'd love that.
You're as bad as TOYS knowing what everyone is thinking. ;)

Audioarchivist
2007-09-27, 06:19 PM
I don't have a local music store that good! :D

Seriously, in you look around all the ripoff pirate crap and eMPty3 bullshit, there is some cool stuff. Some really cool out of print things were there. Yeah, the 5.1 surround upmix stuff is interesting. I was getting the Purple Chick Beatles stuff. I stay away from the true available commercial releases. I wouldn't shoplift in real life, either.

So, do you think it will come back. or is it gone baby gone?

ingram
2007-09-28, 04:35 AM

me too
but oink.cd is still alive :wave:

splumer
2007-09-28, 07:37 AM

Seriously, in you look around all the ripoff pirate crap and eMPty3 bullshit, there is some cool stuff. Some really cool out of print things were there. Yeah, the 5.1 surround upmix stuff is interesting. I was getting the Purple Chick Beatles stuff. I stay away from the true available commercial releases. I wouldn't shoplift in real life, either.

So, do you think it will come back. or is it gone baby gone?

I have a feeling it will be back. Instead of Canada, they should have hosted in Tuvalu (site of the .tv extension), or someplace like that.

Scott

bc39
2007-09-28, 10:52 AM
me too
but oink.cd is still alive :wave:

how do you get invited to the party?

U2Lynne
2007-09-28, 11:00 AM
Do a search on "oink" in The Lounge. There is a thread where people are asking for invites there.

krokodyle
2007-09-29, 07:18 PM
Demonoid came up for me momentarily this afternoon...weird!

ingram
2007-09-30, 10:35 AM

a friend of mine gave me an invite :)

krokodyle
2007-09-30, 02:22 PM
Demonoid came up for me momentarily this afternoon...weird!

And Demonoid is now back up (though extremely slow).

Looks like they're blocking Canadian connections now, so although they're currently up, I expect them to start blocking another major country soon.

possessed
2007-09-30, 08:28 PM
kinda back

"The latest changes to the site are giving us some problems - We'll be back soon"

bc39
2007-10-01, 08:34 AM
Do a search on "oink" in The Lounge. There is a thread where people are asking for invites there.

thanks!

ClaptonIsGod
2007-10-01, 08:50 AM
I have been having trouble accessing it for some days now (it said I wasn't connected to the internet, but I was) Now I get this message:

The latest changes to the site are giving us some problems - We'll be back soon

Shame, Demonoid is brilliant!

krokodyle
2007-10-01, 09:54 AM
They were up on Sunday for a while, but the site was running pretty slowly. Then, by the evening, it had changed to the "we'll be back soon" message.

Audioarchivist
2007-10-02, 12:26 AM
We received a letter from a lawyer represeting the CRIA, they were threatening with legal action and We need to start blocking Canadian traffic because of this. If you reside in Canada, that is the reason you are being redirected to this message. Thanks for your understanding, and sorry for any inconvenience.

I've never said this before, and may never say it again, but here goes : FUCK CANADA!

...and I'm a Canation!

This sucks! And just exactly who in the hell is the CRIA, anyway???

rosc2112
2007-10-02, 03:47 AM
Demonoid is up and running for me (currently downloading..) Haven't noticed any disruption of service at all. I'm in PA, USA.

ClaptonIsGod
2007-10-02, 11:52 AM
Demonoid is back up and running for me in the UK.

Audioarchivist
2007-11-09, 08:41 AM
So for the last while, I've been able to access Demonoid through a proxy, but today, this came up:
The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.
Anyone have any thoughts?

paddington
2007-11-09, 09:20 AM
yeah, I think it sucks.

danknugz81
2007-11-12, 01:26 PM
another good torrent site bites the dust..

Audioarchivist
2009-02-01, 08:02 PM
It's been back for quite some time, as you probably know, but -

today I can't seem to get it to load...

Anyone else having any problems?

U2Lynne
2009-02-01, 08:10 PM
Nope. Not looking good when looking it up either:

Lookup Failed. No IP address or host name with a valid lookup in input.

mooncusser
2009-02-01, 08:34 PM
'nother one bites the dust ------ again.

Audioarchivist
2009-02-02, 02:23 AM
I found some other news from another site...
It seems their hosting service (UkrTeleGroup Ltd) was shut down for DNS problems http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2009/01/troubled_ukrainian_host_sideli.html?hpid=news-col-blog
So they need new hosting to be back in business. Hopefully they will be back up soon. It is a hosting problem and not a legal problem like before. Cross your fingers they get back online soon.

Johnny

U2Lynne
2009-02-02, 10:28 AM
Thanks for finding that out and posting it. I'd give em a little bit of time to relocate and get everything back up and running.

daddyray
2009-02-02, 10:38 AM
what the heck...I am able to access and dl from there this morning.

Audioarchivist
2009-02-02, 05:48 PM
Well, I guess they got it together again. Yay!

We had a server crash last night which caused a few hours downtime. We are currently investigating the issue.

Thank you for your patience

LeifH12345
2009-02-02, 07:08 PM

Technically the store has already bought it though, so it counts as sold from the moment it goes on the shelf 'till its sold or not sold.

You're only stealing the store's profit the way you mentioned. And in some cases (Wal-Mart; other corporations) that's a good thing. Don't get caught!

Audioarchivist
2009-02-02, 07:28 PM
You can't shoplift an audiophile needledrop or stuff that's out-of-print...