PDA

View Full Version : why are my DL speeds so slow

ohkeepa
2007-09-23, 11:13 PM
I just dont get it. I recently got Verizon DSL. Its a 768kb connection. Every since last night my download speeds have been very slow. I have the correct ports opened. I can surf the net fast, can even play my xbox online fine. But when i am running Azureus or any other torrent client the speeds seem very slow. When I download files through my browser its fine.. just with torrents :hmm:

direwolf-pgh
2007-09-23, 11:43 PM
well, you're not downloading anything from TTD - thats your problem.
how slow is slow - Ive jumped on torrents with 50 seeders (at other locations) and had the same issue.
its a 'who your client knows' issue - do a speedtest
www.speakeasy.net/speedtest (choose washington dc) as you're in PA

ohkeepa
2007-09-23, 11:47 PM
well for instance I just had Azureus open. I was downloading something from etree and was connected to 28 seeders and my DL speed woul fluctuate from 50 to 2KB.. its really frustrating. It would speed up then go back to a crawl then speed up to like 30.. then back down to like 2...and so on and so on

direwolf-pgh
2007-09-23, 11:57 PM
cant help you there - hate to say it
this is when you break out the Fluke equipment and test the copper lines in the residence.

ohkeepa
2007-09-24, 12:15 AM
now I think its just something up with etree. I stopped that torrent and started to download something from lossless legs and its working fine :hmm:

and i do suspect this house needs new phone lines. These are old

now if i can only figure out why my wireless connection drops out sometimes

saltman
2007-09-24, 05:38 PM
turn off all internet usage such as torrents, etc. and do the speed test above. report back here what it says.

ohkeepa
2007-09-25, 12:59 PM
I did that.. my speed tests were fine. But like I said.. I think something was up with etree the other day.. cuz its fine now.

And they finally upped my speed today. Now I am getting 2.6MB/s down and about 90-100KB/s up

ohkeepa
2007-09-25, 02:33 PM
now if i can just find something to download that can reach that kinda speed :lol

possessed
2007-09-25, 09:21 PM
sometimes it's the ppl you are connected to. Just because you are connected to 28 ppl doesn't mean they aren't also downloading 4 shows apiece. This cuts into their bandwidth and you feel the pain of it.