PDA

View Full Version : trouble staying on after download, to keep ratio up

landesm
2007-09-06, 04:07 PM
Hi,
I love your site but I won't be around long unless I can get this resolved.
See my ratio.
I'm a technical ignoramus but not ungrateful./
I've just been introduced to this world and have been downloading
from a few sites at once. At the others, I simply stay on after
downloading complete and I continue to upload until my ratio is 1.5 minimum.
But with the few I've done with you guys after download completed an error message comes up on the
board where the word "downloading" had been and seeding simply stops.
Now my ratio is very bad. When my current download completes, if I'm even able to, what do you recommend I do, if that error message appears again.
Or, if I'm locked out, who should I address my question to: [email protected]? As I say, a good guy, just ignorant.
thanks,
M
you can write me directly at [email protected] in case I get locked out.
thanks.
:wave:

GRC
2007-09-06, 04:19 PM
Might help to tell us or the mods which bit torrent client you're using... ?

Regards, Graham

landesm
2007-09-06, 04:42 PM
Hi,
told you I am know-nothing, but would utorrent be the "client" as that's what I'm using? I appreciate your patience. If we get this resolved, I'll keep my ratio above two. :wave:
M

direwolf-pgh
2007-09-06, 04:44 PM
do you get your internet service from comcast ?

and :wave:

landesm
2007-09-06, 04:54 PM
I do. :rolleyes:

U2Lynne
2007-09-06, 05:58 PM
I do. :rolleyes:
Actually, that was a valid question. Take a look at these threads:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43773
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44322

There are probably others if you search this forum for "comcast".

Tubular
2007-09-06, 06:51 PM
I think he gave the :rolleyes: because he is frustrated with comcast, not because he didn't like the question. :lol:

Quick advice:
use uTorrent 1.6 (not 1.7), bittornado 3.18, or Azureus, and make sure encryption is enabled

use a port between 50,000 and 60,000 in your client and router (if you use one)

and dump Comcast if you can for something like Verizon FIOS, or an extreme DSL line

U2Lynne
2007-09-06, 07:02 PM
To add to Tubulars advice.... it seems that some users can upload as long as they are downloading at the same time - they just can't *only* upload. So, you may want to cap your download speed so it takes you longer to download the show and thus gives you move time to upload the show.

Tubular
2007-09-06, 07:09 PM
That is a good idea Lynne, esp. on torrents with lots and lots of seeders, but for a torrent with just a few seeds, you might not want to limit your download, because you never know how long seeders will stick around.

landesm
2007-09-06, 07:12 PM
Hi again,
I did take the question seriously. The truth is I'm so new to this I didn't really know how the rolling eyes would be taken and didn't give it a lot of thought. Sorry. I really appreciate all the advice and will do what I can. I know I can upload without downloading, AND YET, U2Lynne's advice still seems the simplest solution. If the problem occurs, even if only ocassionally, when downloading is complete, then the simplest solution is to simply delay completion until ratio higher. Thanks for much needed commonsense.
Of course I still have to figure out how to do that, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon enough. :)
Much appreciation for Tubular's more technical info/advice as well. :wave: