PDA

View Full Version : shntool fix help needed

feralicious
2005-03-05, 03:33 PM
I'm going to get this down if it kills me.

So I found a fladc file with an SBE. I tried running shntool fix. (shntool fix *.flac) and it gave me this error:
shntool [fix]: error: need two or more files to process

Wha?

However I found I could fix it by doing the following:

decoded to wav
checked wav for SBE, tested postive
re-encoded to flac, tested for SBE, tested negative
decoded new flad to wav, tested for SBE, tested negative
kept my new flac for archiving and tossed the rest

Does that work too?

feralicious
2005-03-05, 04:17 PM
Okay, so I just tried to do the fix on the wav from the bad flac and got the same message.

Why does it need two or more files to process? I don't understnad.

feralicious
2005-03-05, 04:32 PM
Okay got it. It won't work on just one file. I will post my experiments and their findings later. The differnet methods resulted in different size files.

jazzbo
2005-03-05, 04:35 PM
Yeah the problem is that shntool fix wants to move bits from one file to another to fill a sector, so it doesn't know what to do with one file. You probably want to use shntool's pad command to fix the file (if it is the last file in the group.)

uhclem
2005-03-05, 05:00 PM
I'm going to get this down if it kills me.

So I found a fladc file with an SBE. I tried running shntool fix. (shntool fix *.flac) and it gave me this error:
shntool [fix]: error: need two or more files to process

Wha?

However I found I could fix it by doing the following:

decoded to wav
checked wav for SBE, tested postive
re-encoded to flac, tested for SBE, tested negative
decoded new flad to wav, tested for SBE, tested negative
kept my new flac for archiving and tossed the rest

Does that work too?
All you've done via this process is padded the end of the file with silence. This is not a proper SBE fix unless the track is the last track in a musical set.

RainDawg
2005-03-07, 07:33 AM
Yes, use -pad if it's only one file in the set that needs to be fixed AND that file is at the end of a set ONLY. If it's in the middle, then you need to run -fix on all the files starting from the file with the SBE to a file where padded silence at the end is OK (IE a set fadeout, the end of the disc, etc).

Since fix is trying to shuffle samples from one file to another, it does not know what to with only a single file. As uhclem said, just padding that one file will cause it to no longer have an SBE, but will also ruin the file as well.

Make sense?

Five
2005-03-07, 10:03 AM
I would love to see a len check for your show if you'd be so kind, feralicious.

...meaning the unfixed version.

and what the heck, a len check of your fixed version too, please.

RainDawg
2005-03-07, 11:01 AM
I would love to see a len check for your show.
Hmmm...I wonder if this is some kind of come on. I hear the common pickup lines in Toronto are a little different than the usual "can i buy you a drink sometime" stuff we use stateside.

dorrcoq
2005-03-07, 02:46 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if this is some kind of come on. I hear the common pickup lines in Toronto are a little different than the usual "can i buy you a drink sometime" stuff we use stateside.

I think in Toronto they usually say something along the lines of "Hello, I'm from the Centre of the Universe - take off your clothes."

Spelunker
2005-03-07, 06:04 PM
I think in Toronto they usually say something along the lines of "Hello, I'm from the Centre of the Universe - take off your clothes."
Don't you mean... "How's it goin', eh? I'm from the center of the universe - take off you clothes. eh?"

Five
2005-03-07, 09:44 PM
or maybe "nice touque, eh. it's freakin' cold as sh*t out here, how about warming up at the local pub?"

we get to the clothes bit later.

and we only use the centre of the universe line when we're out of town. and only when we're in Canada, eh.

anyhow, I was just looking for a len check, nothing frisky!

feralicious
2005-04-26, 11:36 AM
Hm... how did I miss all this banter?

More importantly, was it a come on Five? :naughty:

pmonk
2005-04-26, 11:48 AM

What do you expect in technobabble????

spontabmark
2005-04-26, 11:51 AM
stupid question :) but what do you do if you have a show that's only one track with an SBE.

pmonk
2005-04-26, 11:56 AM
All depends on where the sbe is!

In any event - i believe the new version of TLH will fix it!

uhclem
2005-04-26, 12:03 PM
All depends on where the sbe is!

In any event - i believe the new version of TLH will fix it!
If it's only one track the SBE is at the end!

Just leave it, it doesn't matter.

feralicious
2005-04-26, 12:16 PM
But if it's just one track in the middle of the set you need to run a fix on the whole set. Whether or not you should skip the files that don't need fixing is your choice I believe, but it will need the files before and after the one with the SBE in order to fix it properly since data is shifted onto or from the other tracks.

spontabmark
2005-04-26, 12:17 PM
ah cool thanks, why did i have to delete the tracked show :clap: i tried fixing it after tracked but all the tracks got skipped in tlh and batchenc

feralicious
2005-04-26, 12:21 PM
Are you sure it had an SBE in there?

What do you mean "had to delete the tracked show"?

pmonk
2005-04-26, 12:25 PM
If it's only one track the SBE is at the end!

Doh :imslow:

That's pretty bad Mr. Pmonk!

feralicious
2005-04-26, 12:35 PM
Doh :imslow:

That's pretty bad Mr. Pmonk!Haha. I misread that too. I was wondering why you guys weren't concerned if it was in the middle of the set, thinking there was more than one track.

spontabmark, my previous post only applies if you have a show with more than one track. I misread your initial post.

If you tracked the show you may have solved the problem by doing so.

spontabmark
2005-04-26, 12:35 PM
Are you sure it had an SBE in there?

What do you mean "had to delete the tracked show"?
i mean i tracked the show, then deleted it because of the SBE and i needed the space only to find out now that it would've been fine :)

i fixed it now though after updating TLH and using pad mode

feralicious
2005-04-26, 12:42 PM
So wait a minute. If you tracked the show, then it must've had more than one track. Was the SBE on the last track?

pmonk
2005-04-26, 12:43 PM
I can't wait to use the new and approved TLH! I might have to start downloading from Dime to find a shw with SBE's :lol:

spontabmark
2005-04-26, 12:56 PM
So wait a minute. If you tracked the show, then it must've had more than one track. Was the SBE on the last track?
yeah, but when i tried to fix it with the other files all the other files got skipped because of something and it said can't fix single file SBE. and now i've fixed it on the one long track, just finshed putting tracks in and just before i save it the damn thing crashes :mad:

Five
2005-04-26, 03:43 PM

if you can't tell, I won't ;)

uhclem
2005-04-26, 03:52 PM
But if it's just one track in the middle of the set you need to run a fix on the whole set. Whether or not you should skip the files that don't need fixing is your choice I believe, but it will need the files before and after the one with the SBE in order to fix it properly since data is shifted onto or from the other tracks.
But he said it's a show 'that's only one track'. I took that to mean the whole show it is one single track. However, you all took it to mean that the show has multiple tracks, but only one of those tracks has an SBE. That's probably what he really meant.

In order to fix an SBE properly you must start fixing from the first track that has an SBE down to and including the last track of that musical cluster. You do NOT need to bother with the tracks that come before the first flawed track. BUT if you want to convert to a different format while fixing, you should include all the tracks and use the -noskip argument so that all tracks will be converted.

The exception to this is if only the first track of a set has an SBE then you can fix just that track by prepadding the front of it. This is much quicker than fixing everything that follows.

uhclem
2005-04-26, 03:57 PM
yeah, but when i tried to fix it with the other files all the other files got skipped because of something and it said can't fix single file SBE. and now i've fixed it on the one long track, just finshed putting tracks in and just before i save it the damn thing crashes :mad:
So you mean to say it was just the last track that had an SBE? Then just pad the end. You can't 'fix' one file in fix mode. I've lost track of how many times that's been said here.

Five
2005-04-26, 04:25 PM
I can't wait to use the new and approved TLH! I might have to start downloading from Dime to find a shw with SBE's :lol:
:roflol:

spontabmark
2005-04-26, 04:58 PM
So you mean to say it was just the last track that had an SBE? Then just pad the end. You can't 'fix' one file in fix mode. I've lost track of how many times that's been said here.
yeah but i only found that out after i had to delete the tracked one