PDA

View Full Version : What software will compliment an Edirol R-09?

Syco54645
2007-09-03, 12:10 AM
Hello,

I just got an Edirol R-09 yesterday and was wondering what software would compliment this nicely. All I really need to do editing wise is flip the channels, bring up the volume a little, and eq it ever so slightly to give it more bass. I know that sonar is recommended in the book for this thing, but would cooledit pro give the same results? I am looking for something that will not degrade the quality from this fantastic recorder that I now am fortunate enough to own.

Thanks

-Frank

Per
2007-09-03, 02:54 AM
Soundforge 7.0 is good. Wavelab is also good.

Just remember to always keep your original file/recording. Then you can try out editing/equalizing etc on a backup file.

Syco54645
2007-09-03, 09:54 AM
Soundforge 7.0 is good. Wavelab is also good.

Just remember to always keep your original file/recording. Then you can try out editing/equalizing etc on a backup file.

they are already burnt to dvds.

Syco54645
2007-09-03, 04:22 PM
Here is what I recorded. i upped the db by 3 on it. Unfortunately the show clipped anytime the entire band yelled, but it is repairable (so this needs to go into what i need in software, some way of repairing the clips. I was thinking of just lowering the volume where it clipped). It only happened about a dozen times total. more in the right channel than left.

Here is a sample of what i recorded for anyone who cares. It is a celtic punk band called the tossers.

http://splra.org/tossers/siobhan-9-2-07_db+3.mp3

AAR.oner
2007-09-04, 05:48 AM
Sonar is a good proggy, but you don't need high-end envelopes/filters/EQ/etc for live recordings, so pro-level software is a bit overkill...honestly, yer never gonna need to do much more than boost/lower the dB, correct the DC offset, and add fades...

since CEP will work fine, as will Audacity [freeware] or any of the progs mentioned above...as for "repairing" the clipped parts, were they clipped before you did the 3dB boost, or only after? either way, i would adjust each one individually like you said...

the sample sounds pretty good, never heard the band before -- def liked what i heard...any chance of me getting a copy when yer done? :D

Syco54645
2007-09-04, 08:31 PM
Sonar is a good proggy, but you don't need high-end envelopes/filters/EQ/etc for live recordings, so pro-level software is a bit overkill...honestly, yer never gonna need to do much more than boost/lower the dB, correct the DC offset, and add fades...

since CEP will work fine, as will Audacity [freeware] or any of the progs mentioned above...as for "repairing" the clipped parts, were they clipped before you did the 3dB boost, or only after? either way, i would adjust each one individually like you said...

the sample sounds pretty good, never heard the band before -- def liked what i heard...any chance of me getting a copy when yer done? :D

I will be selling it on ebay to the highest bidder :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

If you have forgotten who I am, I am the great unhoarder, it will be on ttd asap... In both 24 bit and 16 bit. I may be getting the band to go open taping too. The clipping was before i did the 3 db boost because the sound guy upped the sound partway through the show, and again for the next to the last song. At my speakers here it sounds like it needs eqed because of excessively high bass, but on my car speakers, my stereo, and two different sets of headphones it sounds fine. What do you think?

AAR.oner
2007-09-05, 06:10 AM
the rule of thumb is no EQ

as you said, certain speakers it sounds fine on, others too bassy...thats because every "set up" has its own sound in terms of coloration, reflections, etc...

plus, in order to *properly* EQ a recording, you need a pair of good monitors/cans with a flat response, a *good-quality* EQ, and exerience/trained ears [seems most tapers that eq shows have none of the above]

thats basically why most folks prefer to get the show without any EQ/NR/etc and they can adjust the eq on their set to sound right for them

Syco54645
2007-09-05, 05:14 PM
Well I was toying with no eqing, and I am definitely leaning that direction. I listened to the first nights recording at work today and there was a lot of phasing (i think that is the correct term) from people walking in front of me. Is there a good way to fix that? If not the most that I will do is raise the db and unclip the few clips that are in it. I just checked the clipping and it happened a total of 16 times if you count each channel separately. I will go through and try and fix those today.

-The Great Unhoarder