PDA

View Full Version : Randomly Becoming Firewalled

goodfelladh
2007-08-15, 07:27 AM
I know that posts about being firewalled probably get very annoying, as most problems are ultimately very easy to fix and usually user-error. But, I just can't figure out why the heck I'm suddenly firewalled or how to possibly fix so I had to throw something up.

Just in the last few days, I've suddenly become firewalled. I have change absolutely no settings on my firewall or router. Just one day when I went to download a show I was firewalled, and have been ever since. I've run ipconfig and the IP address matches the one I have set for the router. Any other suggestions on something I can or check on? Thanks for any help.

Mr. Magoo
2007-08-15, 08:16 AM
did you try changing your open port number to another port number? Worked for me once.

U2Lynne
2007-08-15, 09:03 AM
Sometimes the router just needs to be reset. Have you tried that?

jadg2
2007-08-15, 09:56 AM
Just in the last few days, I've suddenly become firewalled. I have change absolutely no settings on my firewall or router. Just one day when I went to download a show I was firewalled, and have been ever since. I've run ipconfig and the IP address matches the one I have set for the router. Any other suggestions on something I can or check on? Thanks for any help.

Is this possibly something to do with the ISPs? I know on this particular computer I had the same problem recently, and had to set up port forwarding, after having no problems with connectivity for a long time.

It also coincided with the end of the month, so may have had something to do with the bandwidth usage, as the current deal for this line has fixed bandwidth limits.

goodfelladh
2007-08-15, 10:24 AM
Sometimes the router just needs to be reset. Have you tried that?

That actually was going to be my next move... just unplug the router and modem for a few minutes and then start everything back up. Very simple, but maybe I'll get lucky :lol

slipknot160
2007-08-20, 08:28 PM
I'm having the same problem. Out of nowhere, I'm suddenly firewalled. I reset my router, changed the port in the client and in port forwarding. Is it possible that my rat bastid ISP is blocking ports?

Were you able to solve your problem?

lgerard
2007-08-20, 09:07 PM
I had an odd experience along these lines last week. All of a sudden I was firewalled. Since I don't use a router, I went to the XP firewall and noticed something very strange.

In the little box descibing the service you want forwarded it said

BT incoming

That is certainly not what I typed in 3 or 4 years ago when I first forwarded ports for bittorrent

I just deleted these entries and reforwarded the ports with the correct description and no more firewalling

But where did those entries come from? I made no changes to XP or the firewall recently

strange

bigwurock
2007-08-20, 10:17 PM
:hmm: i have had the same problem & i can't get my computer from being firewalled... :hmm:

U2Lynne
2007-08-20, 10:35 PM
Are you sure you actually are firewalled? You checked canyouseeme? You've restarted your router? Checked your XP firewall? If so, you may want to start you own thread about it with as much info about your system as possible.

bigwurock
2007-08-20, 11:21 PM
Are you sure you actually are firewalled? You checked canyouseeme? You've restarted your router? Checked your XP firewall? If so, you may want to start you own thread about it with as much info about your system as possible.

i have done everything possible and still show up as being firewalled...i guess that is the way it will be for me from now on....don't know why but just happened..i didn't change anything...

slipknot160
2007-08-21, 06:24 AM
I tried lgerard's fix. I noticed that the descriptions of the apps in my firewall were not exact. I deleted the port forwarding entries and re-entered them using exact descriptions of the apps and it now works fine. Cheers!!