PDA

View Full Version : Linksys 54G router and Utorrent 1.6.1

bocajoes
2007-07-30, 08:22 PM
I have been using utorrent 1.6.1 since I started bit torrent downloading last year. It has been a real sturggle to keep my ratios up to a respectable level, even though I have gone through all of the port forwarding steps. I am still showing "firewalled" here and "not connectable" on other sites. I can upload, but on a limited basis. I try to compensate by leaving torrents on my tracker for a few weeks but it gets to a point, usually after a few days, where nobody can connect to me.

I think I have isolated two possible causes to the problem and I am seeking advice. Am I right about this?:

1. I cannot get into the port table on the Linksys router. On port forward.com, it shows the username and password and instructs that it is universal for those routers. I type my IP addy in the bar but I cannot get into the router to open the ports IN the router because the supplied logins do not work.

2. I read on another forum that the Linksys 54G router and Utorrent 1.6.1 have a problem with seeding torrents for a long period of time. They will time out and users will not be able to connect, which I think is what is happening to me. I read about a firmware upgrade for the Linksys 54G that supposedly fixes this but I am hesitant to download it. Any users out there try this and is it effective?

I am thinking about just scrapping Utorrent and using Azerus. Thoughts? Good move or unneccessary?

Thank you all for your help.

diggrd
2007-07-30, 08:37 PM
Have you tried this address?
http://192.168.1.1/

I have been using utorrent 1.6.1 since I started bit torrent downloading last year. It has been a real sturggle to keep my ratios up to a respectable level, even though I have gone through all of the port forwarding steps. I am still showing "firewalled" here and "not connectable" on other sites. I can upload, but on a limited basis. I try to compensate by leaving torrents on my tracker for a few weeks but it gets to a point, usually after a few days, where nobody can connect to me.

I think I have isolated two possible causes to the problem and I am seeking advice. Am I right about this?:

1. I cannot get into the port table on the Linksys router. On port forward.com, it shows the username and password and instructs that it is universal for those routers. I type my IP addy in the bar but I cannot get into the router to open the ports IN the router because the supplied logins do not work.

2. I read on another forum that the Linksys 54G router and Utorrent 1.6.1 have a problem with seeding torrents for a long period of time. They will time out and users will not be able to connect, which I think is what is happening to me. I read about a firmware upgrade for the Linksys 54G that supposedly fixes this but I am hesitant to download it. Any users out there try this and is it effective?

I am thinking about just scrapping Utorrent and using Azerus. Thoughts? Good move or unneccessary?

Thank you all for your help.

bocajoes
2007-07-30, 09:03 PM
I have and the generic logins don't work (blank for username; I can't remember the password I used.)

Esau
2007-07-30, 09:31 PM

I have a linksys WRT54g and also use utorrent 1.6.1. I've had the router for about three & a half years, never had an issue seeding. I use a custom firmware.

Firmware Version : v4.30.1, HyperWRT 2.1b1 +tofu13c

You can find out all you need to know about it here: http://www.hyperwrt.org/

**ALWAYS back-up your default firmware first before installing any custom firmware!

As for the access problem, if you hold the reset button down for a few seconds, that will reset everything back to default (login: blank PW: admin).

If you haven't already, in utorrent set the seeding ratio to -1 (default is something like 1.5 %), this allows for constant seeding:

Preferences > Queueing > Seed While (ratio is <= -1 or seeding time is: ignore )

Hope that helps.

Tubular
2007-07-30, 10:17 PM
Do you have encryption enabled in uTorrent? Some ISPs, including Comcast, will prevent you from uploading after completing if you don't use encryption.

Also, uTorrent is terrible for initially seeding a show because there is no super seeder mode. Super seeder mode will guarantee that you only have to upload one copy of the show to get it initially seeded by sending pieces to those who share well. Azureus and Bittornado 3.18 have super seeder mode as well as encryption.

diggrd
2007-07-31, 12:34 AM
u:admin p:admin is generic and if you reset the router it will default to that.

paddington
2007-07-31, 03:40 AM
^^^ yeah just press an hold the rest button for a few seconds with the power ON and point your browser to http://192.168.1.1/

on the ones I've used, you leave the user blank and the pw is 'admin' - on very old one, I think the pw was actually 'linksys'.

bocajoes
2007-07-31, 05:43 AM
Thank you everyone for your help! I will try your suggestions later tonight.

bocajoes
2007-07-31, 10:13 AM
Problem solved. I had to get on the horn with Linksys and my ISP, but everything seems to be working and I am not getting "firewalled" in my ratio window. Thanks again for your help!