PDA

View Full Version : Writing on discs

Al FS
2007-07-22, 01:49 AM
I write on my discs with a Sharpie permanent marker. Is this bad? :hmm:

KoolKat
2007-07-22, 02:50 AM
Witing on discs with anything will eventually be the downfall of that disc

Write on a piece of paper & slip it inside the case with the disc ;)

K_K

Audioarchivist
2007-07-22, 04:32 AM
Really the only safe place to write on a disc is the inner ring, where no data lies underneath.
Safe is of course a relative term here. I suppose even ink anywhere could eat its way through the plastic.

vladsmythe
2007-07-22, 09:42 AM
Is there a safe and inexpensive way to remove sharpie ink off of 16,000 cds?

Mr. Magoo
2007-07-22, 09:49 AM
I doubt it!

vladsmythe
2007-07-22, 10:03 AM
How serious is the issue? I saw these dvds the other day that touted a "300 year life". When will the ink destroy data, assuming cds are kept cool, dry and out of light? 299 years? I'm not losing sleep on this one.

Tubular
2007-07-22, 10:10 AM
There is another thread about this:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36369

Five wrote:
"sharpies are fine, never ruined one disc for me. but when I mail trade I never write on the discs because of the superstition... or perhaps ppl just want to see their own writing on their own discs."

Tubular
2007-07-22, 10:17 AM
another one:
mbself wrote:
"Sharpies do not actually penetrate into the plastic. The ink is designed to adhere to a surface very tightly. Acetone, laquer thinner and any number of other solvents will break it down and remove it from most surfacers. NOT SUGGESTING YOU TRY ANY OF THEM WITH A CD-R . These solvents powerful enough to remove a sharpie mark will likely do the damage that sharpies are rumored to cause."

vladsmythe
2007-07-22, 10:23 AM
Thanks tubular, I won't write on trades anymore. Not because of damage but rather so people can write what they want on it. Now, let's take a look at this issue: How to protect cds and dvds agianst warpage due to global warming. Are we talking months, years, decades? Will the Stones still be touring?

Mr. Magoo
2007-07-22, 10:39 AM
Will the Stones still be touring?

Yes, They are actually pickled. Given thier current state of being, in 6 months they will being to mold but will continue touring.

cicada
2007-07-22, 02:02 PM
Not to alarm anyone, but... by now we are all familiar with the anticipated perils of Y2K (back in 2000). This was a narrowly averted disaster, that was avoided by the actions of many forward thinking people (maybe even some us here at TTD).

I would like for you to consider the potentials for disaster that are sure to arise as we approach Y10K. I know, you are probably thinking that we have 8000 years until the year 10,000, but it is never too soon to start planning when you consider the issues that are sure to arise. Issues are much too numerous to list here, but just imagine the impact on almost every facet of life!

vladsmythe
2007-07-22, 02:24 PM
:hijack: :bs: :ignore:

Audioarchivist
2007-07-22, 10:22 PM
As to removing Sharpie ink from discs, try 99% Isopropanol alcohol, like you should be using to clean your old cassette deck heads, or making hashish with!
Good multipurpose stuff, that iso!

Al FS
2007-07-25, 07:50 PM
It's a bunch of BS? YAY! No worries anymore. :D

saltman
2007-07-26, 08:19 AM
As to removing Sharpie ink from discs, try 99% Isopropanol alcohol, like you should be using to clean your old cassette deck heads, or making hashish with!
Good multipurpose stuff, that iso!I prefer BHO to QWISO anyday. ;)

jalew
2007-07-26, 08:59 AM
Good multipurpose stuff, that iso!

I stopped using the 99% alchohol and switched to the cold-water extraction, 'bubble bag' method. It works GREAT! :cool: