PDA

View Full Version : Need A Mac Genius!

slapshot8c
2007-07-12, 09:04 AM
I recently installed security updates and now xAct won't work. This is the error message I get:

"<<script>> doesn't understand the <<event earsffdr>> message. (-1708)"

Is there anyone out there who can help???

-Bill

Mr. Magoo
2007-07-12, 10:16 AM
I just did the security updates as well and did not have this problem. Have you tried removing Xact from the HD and re-installing it?

slapshot8c
2007-07-12, 10:31 AM
Yeah, and I still come up with that error message.

slapshot8c
2007-07-12, 10:34 AM
I will say this: the xAct was caught up extracting a CD and I had to force quit. After the force quit, the security updated prompted me. Seeing as I had to re-boot to use my CD drive again, I went ahead with the updates. When the computer re-booted, I went to use xAct again and that error message came up. It won't work at all now!

direwolf-pgh
2007-07-12, 10:47 AM
uninstall xACT again..
then manually remove xACT from your Preferences folder.

hard drive > home directory > preferences folder.

reboot / reinstall

U2Lynne
2007-07-12, 11:17 AM
Have you tried asking Scott about it on the yahoogroup? He usually responds to all questions about his software.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/xACT-users/?yguid=309533993

As Craig said, don't just delete the xACT application if you try to reinstall it, make sure you get all the files - Stuff and xACT src folders and the preferences.

slapshot8c
2007-07-12, 11:20 AM
AHH ok. I did email Scott but for his recommendation didn't pan out. I will give your recommendations a go. I'll be back later :) Thanks everyone!

slapshot8c
2007-07-12, 11:39 AM
Arghh..still coming up with that error message. And when I want to decode something it says:

"The variable md5CheckFlag is not defined. (-2753)"

When I hit execute, it says:

"<<script>> doesn't understand the <<event sysostfl>> message. (-1708)"

U2Lynne
2007-07-12, 12:00 PM
I didn't see your post in the yahoogroup. I would post on there. ffooky is a member and I'm sure he will come to your rescue.

ffooky
2007-07-12, 01:14 PM
I must say I know sweet FA about AppleScript but if you're absolutely sure that you've removed all traces of xACT, including the .plist mentioned above, then the problem must surely lie in something in your system that changed after the Security Update ?

In that case I'd go to http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/ and download the relevant *COMBO* update for your operating system & processor type ( note the subtle emphasis on COMBO).

Before applying the update, repair permissions. This is very probably pointless but it will do no harm and people who know far more than me still recommend it, so go ahead. Run the update (that's the COMBO update btw) and, once all the restarts have taken place, repair permissions again. Now run Software Update and install the Security Update if still required. You can repair permissions again if you want but now download xACT, install it and stand well back.....

paddington
2007-07-12, 01:51 PM
I Need A Mac Genius!

Powderfinger ran her off :disbelief

slapshot8c
2007-07-12, 07:40 PM
lynne: will post soon. went out for the day :)

ffooky: will give that a shot.

I went through my library->preferences and removed all traces of xact. are there any other places it may be? i've deleted the .dmg file and the disk image was "ejected" from my computer. maybe i'm missing something?

U2Lynne
2007-07-12, 07:49 PM
Well, don't forget to delete the copy in your Applications folder. (Sorry if I stated the obvious.)

slapshot8c
2007-07-12, 08:11 PM
It was never in my applications folder. I always ran it from the disk image, if that makes any sense.

slapshot8c
2007-07-12, 08:25 PM
FYI: the last combo update for 10.3.9 was 04/15/05!!

U2Lynne
2007-07-12, 11:31 PM
It was never in my applications folder. I always ran it from the disk image, if that makes any sense.
Maybe this is why you are getting the errors?

slapshot8c
2007-07-13, 09:10 AM
I'm not sure. I've ran several security updates in the past without a problem running it that way. When I open the disk image, should I be moving the "src folder" and other items into certain places on my harddrive?

Sorry for the silly questions. I'm still relatively new at this whole mac thing :)

U2Lynne
2007-07-13, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure. I've ran several security updates in the past without a problem running it that way. When I open the disk image, should I be moving the "src folder" and other items into certain places on my harddrive?

Sorry for the silly questions. I'm still relatively new at this whole mac thing :)
What I did is create an "xACT" folder in my Applications folder and then dragged the xACT application, the Read Me file, and the whole "stuff" folder and "xACT src" folder. I dragged all of that there. I know that some applications will not run well if they are simply mounted. It's worth a try.

slapshot8c
2007-07-13, 10:46 AM
i am totally stumped. i've done everything and it still doesn't work.

U2Lynne
2007-07-13, 11:15 AM
I still think you should post to the usergroup. Scott should know about this error and other people there may have some good ideas on what it means.

Was repairing Permissions mentioned? I doubt that will do it, but it doesn't hurt.

slapshot8c
2007-07-13, 03:35 PM
I did end up posting in the usergroup. Hopefully this can get fixed soon. I'm going nuts not being able to use MacFLAC OR xAct!!

slapshot8c
2007-07-15, 01:00 PM
I got it fixed! I upgraded to 10.4.10 and all is well now :) Thanks again to everybody who offered their help. This thread can be closed!