PDA

View Full Version : Audacity and error messages

GRC
2007-07-07, 10:00 AM
I set up Audacity 1.2.6 on my laptop, and having spent an entertaining couple of days learning the interface, etc, I needed a couple of .flac files out of it to form my first upload.

I made sure the uncompressed export format was set to .flac, not .wav, and selected 'Export Multiple' (having set up a label track to define the split points).

I got an error dialog reading 'Cannot export to (file location)' - I click 'OK' in this dialog and get another dialog box reading 'Successfully exported 0 files'

I tried 'Export as FLAC', and got the same result without the second dialog box.

In both cases, .flac files are created in the target location, but with 0 bytes in them.

Changed the uncompressed file export format to .wav, and it exports the files OK, but on playback, they're choppy and garbled, whereas the playback within audacity, and the original source tape, is fine.

There's no hint as to WHY it can't export FLAC - what does one do when confronted with such obscure error messages?

I know, I know - do a google search. Meanwhile, any hints from anyone...?

Regards, Graham

AAR.oner
2007-07-07, 10:17 AM
i find it more reliable to export as wav and then use xACT to convert to flac [or TLH for PC users]...being a free prog, some of the plug-ins/"extras" can be a bit buggy, i stick with the main functions only

re: the choppy wavs -- maybe an issue with sample/bit rate :hmm: make sure your project is exporting 16/44.1...also, what prog are you using to listen to them?

AAR.oner
2007-07-07, 10:20 AM
fwiw, another benefit of exporting the split tracks as wavs, and not flac directly, is you can create an st5 checksum for the wav files, as well as the flacs...i like to include both when seeding new transfers

Five
2007-07-07, 02:42 PM
^what he said

especially make sure its set to 44.1kHz (aka 44100Hz) and 16bit in the preferences section, that could be the problem.

GRC
2007-07-07, 04:33 PM
The recording preference is definitely set at 44.1kHz, 16-bit, confirmed by the track info at LHS of the recorded stereo track...

I played the .wavs with windows media player running under Vista.

I think I'll go back to the Alesis Masterlink for a while..... :hmm:

Regards, Graham

Tubular
2007-07-07, 07:33 PM
You can record with CD-Wav Editor (free) or programs like Sony Soundforge (not free). CD-Wav is also useful for tracking shows on correct sector boundaries.