PDA

View Full Version : Sorting Search Results

TheTooleMan
2007-07-01, 12:48 PM
I just did a search on "Steely Dan" and noticed the results were listed in the order of the last comment posted. This page could be enhanced to allow sorting on different columns, like "first post date," "thread," and even "forum." It would help me search for newly-posted stuff without having to plow through old posts with new comments.

Also, "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: dan" kinda sucks, don't you think? How would I search for "Yes" or "The Who?"

:hmm:

Five
2007-07-05, 11:02 AM
good points... we have certain exceptions for three-letter words (eg "mp3", "shn" etc) perhaps we could also make exceptions for "yes" and "who" which would be useful when searching by thread title (but not very useful when searching entire threads!). When searching for Yes and having difficulty I usually search for band members' names and/or common song titles, e.g. seaching "roundabout" will turn up almost any Yes show.

I'll get somebody from the dev team to take a look at this... sorry for the delay responding.

vladsmythe
2007-07-05, 11:39 AM
If you have an idea of what you are looking for, the advanced search will allow you to refine with specificty. I never do a general search.

saltman
2007-07-05, 11:48 AM
yeah advanced search has all the specific queries you mentioned. and like Five mentioned certain words are exceptions to the 3 letter rule. I'm not sure what they all are.

It appears yes is already in there.... see this search
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1288243

and the who also....
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/search.php?searchid=1288244

direwolf-pgh
2007-07-05, 12:39 PM
Note the 'Sort Results By' drop menu... (available in advanced search)

I cant see the 'omit keyword list' - it may be within a vbulletin control panel

U2Lynne
2007-07-11, 04:33 PM
I modified the torrents page to allow you to select sorting by Last Post Date, First Post Date, and Title and Ascending or Descending. Hope that helps.

As for words like Yes or Who..... if they were allowed, you would end up with tons of threads that simply have those words in them. I'm not sure what the *easy* solution is for that.

velvetsailor
2007-07-17, 10:44 PM
Yup, seems like everywhere I go, "Yes" is too short of a name to search for.

I use song titles, probably what's listed on Forgotten Yesterdays as most often played in descending order: the "Roundabout" search will find most of it, and I think the "Starship Trooper" search finds more including those 7 from 77 shows I really wish someone would re-seed.

Novel member names like Squire, Howe, Moraz, Wakeman, Rabin etc. can also be very handy. Also entire member names, unless you wanted to check out the Tull while you were looking for shows with Jon. I've found a few Tull shows by accident that way. :-)