PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best BT client? Issues with current client

antsmarchn
2007-06-24, 09:08 PM
I am just curious what the best BT client program is these days? I currently use bit tornado, but for some reason now have tons of issues with it. It allows me to download and while the download is active sometimes allows me to upload (I do get the green light while connected). Once the download completes though, I am no longer able to upload at all. I have tried numerous things to attempt to fix this. I have opened ports in the firewall to ports specified in the BT client, even attempted disabling the firewall completely, but to no avail, even checked with sites like portforward.com. Anyone have any solutions? I have also noticed that a lot of people now use utorrent. Is it worth switching to from bit tornado?

Borlag
2007-06-24, 09:53 PM
utorrent seems to be the easiest, and is compatible with all major torrent sites. The only thing it lacks really is the inbuilt tracker that Azureus has, but most people wont ever need that one, unless they want to do private torrents for online trades, in which case FTP servers work just as well.

mooncusser
2007-06-24, 09:59 PM
Give utorrent a try and I doubt you'll go back.
Your problem with the uploads might be a matter of your ISP and not your client, though.

AAR.oner
2007-06-25, 05:57 AM
i prefer azureus myself

paddington
2007-06-25, 03:08 PM
uTorrent

Tubular
2007-06-26, 01:13 AM
I had the same problem with Bittornado until I upgraded to version 3.18, which unlike previous versions, has encryption. I have read that Comcast uses bit-shaping? to limit bittorrent activity. The encryption fights Comcast's attempts to limit BT activity. Just like you I wasn't able to upload after completing a torrent, but now with 3.18 I can upload after completing just fine. uTorrent is terrible for initially seeding a show because there is no super seeder mode, so sometimes you wind up uploading 1.75 copies of the show just to get it initially seeded. With super seeder mode, it is guaranteed that you will only have to upload 1.00 copies of the show to get it initally seeded. I've had some issues with Azureus, like my connection dropping, and it is a resource hog.

U2Lynne
2007-06-26, 09:40 AM
I was gonna suggest what has already been suggested - get a client that allows you to use encryption and try that.

If you look at our torrent stats page (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/torstats.php), uTorrent and Azureus are the most popular clients (and both of those are accepted on every torrent site I can think of).

Lou
2007-06-26, 08:17 PM
uTorrent all the way. After trying it a few months ago, I definitely am not looking back.

blackdiesel
2007-06-26, 09:35 PM
I have a question about utorrent. I've been using it since it was released, but lately, since the last upgrade, I've noticed that after I start seeding after a download, my upload speed drops to almost zero. Have anyone else noticed this? Normally, I try to stay on and seed torrents for a couple of days after I finish downloading, but I've noticed that I'm wasting time by not uploading anything. :hmm:

mooncusser
2007-06-26, 09:47 PM
^^^ Is the encryption option enabled in your client?