PDA

View Full Version : Defragging drives with shn/flac files?

feralicious
2005-02-21, 08:21 PM
Should I? Or will it harm them?

ozzyzak
2005-02-21, 08:32 PM
I don't think defragmenting harms files, fairly sure anyway.

Punkishlyevil
2005-02-21, 08:34 PM
I've done it a few times and nothing is wrong with my files. My drive was up to like 70% fragmented so I figured I definitely needed it.

h_vargas
2005-02-21, 08:36 PM
it shouldn't harm them at all. i've done it before - when i desperately needed to do a defrag, and the files (SHNs/FLACs) verified OK after defragmenting the drive.

but, if you feel iffy about defragging with "important data" on your drive, maybe you should clear off the stuff (if possible) first. of course, that would make defragmenting your HD faster.

as an aside note, if you're a PC user (i don't know if you're on a Mac/PC) i suggest staying away from Windows built-in defragmenter, and using something like Diskeeper. it's much better for your HD, and MUCH faster than Windows built-in utility.

aside #2, something that works well for me is this: partitioning my HD, so i have the O/S on "C" drive, and have "D" and "E" drives for data only. i save downloaded torrents on the 'data' drives, and burn them off as quickly as possible. when i've saved everything i want/need to (onto CDR/DVDR), i simply format the D/E partitions (using Partition Magic). it's even faster than defragmenting, and from what i've read, better for the drive as well.

wazoo2u
2005-02-21, 08:51 PM
Nina,

Defragging can't harm your files. The process has a couple of failsafe checks built in, so even if your computer powers down in the middle of it, you won't lose any data.

I've had good results with the defrag util built into XP SP2, I think it's actually based on the Diskeeper engine.

The best way to deal with churning a lot of files is to install 2 hard drives, and keep one for the OS and Applications, and the other strictly for SHN/FLAC/DVD files. Also, make sure that any programs like NERO are writing their TEMP cache files to the Utility Drive, not the OS drive. Keeps fragmentation lower. This means that your computer will run faster and more efficiently, and the bus traffic on your IDE chain is more manageable, so you'll get better performance out of your IDE DVD Burner that you have on your secondary controller. You should NEVER have a burner and hard disk attached to the same controller channel....

feralicious
2005-02-21, 09:05 PM
lol. Okay, here's the deal.

I too have just programs on my C drive and I've partitioned that into 2 drives. Here's what I got:

Drive 1 = 80gb 2 partitions
Drive 2 = 80gb 2 partitions
Drive 3 = 120gb 1 partition
Drive 4 = 250gb 4 partitions (external)
Drive 5 = 80gb 1 partition (external)

AND I STILL RUN OUT OF DISK SPACE!!! In fact there's about another 100gb of music I d/l onto my Mac which is only supposed to be used for my work project. :nono:

I need to archive faster! Anyone need a part time job? No pay but you get to play with my dogs. :clap: I'm too anal about it so it takes me too long. BUT on a positive note, I'm not as anal as RainDawg. ;) :lol

I'll have to look into the settings for the Nero and other program temp files.

DeepElem
2005-02-21, 09:11 PM
Nina,

Defragging can't harm your files. The process has a couple of failsafe checks built in, so even if your computer powers down in the middle of it, you won't lose any data.

I've had good results with the defrag util built into XP SP2, I think it's actually based on the Diskeeper engine.

The best way to deal with churning a lot of files is to install 2 hard drives, and keep one for the OS and Applications, and the other strictly for SHN/FLAC/DVD files. Also, make sure that any programs like NERO are writing their TEMP cache files to the Utility Drive, not the OS drive. Keeps fragmentation lower. This means that your computer will run faster and more efficiently, and the bus traffic on your IDE chain is more manageable, so you'll get better performance out of your IDE DVD Burner that you have on your secondary controller. You should NEVER have a burner and hard disk attached to the same controller channel....

Mr Wazooz,
I know you are the fucking expert on everything, with that said.
I started defragging a 200 gb Maxtor 7200 with Disk Keeper, had a power outage, machine would not boot, hung up, had to unplug that drive.
Tried running scan disk, Norton, Etc, Etc, kept getting error, disk is in use by a utility, such as defrag.
Ran Maxtor's utilities, gave error "could not read drive"
Tried to reformat it from Maxtor's Boot Disk, Could not format, not enought memory.
Finally Got it formated using MaxBlast CD.
But this drive was doing something all the time it was hooked up, got hot as hell, I had to unplug it just so it wouldn't melt down.
So, unless you are the Super Genius you want ppl to think you are, don't give advice, unless you have encountered the things you want to express your super ego about.

feralicious
2005-02-21, 09:14 PM
Yeah well, Maxtor sux0rs.

DeepElem
2005-02-21, 09:16 PM
Yeah well, Maxtor sux0rs.

I disagree, running 6 of them.
The one that I had to format due to Disk Keeper is fine now also, I just made it my Jerry Backup ;)

diggrd
2005-02-21, 10:55 PM
Finally Got it formated using MaxBlast CD.
But this drive was doing something all the time it was hooked up, got hot as hell, I had to unplug it just so it wouldn't melt down.

man that is strange although I have seen similar situations where drives are locked by programs that fail to reset system flags after abnormal termination. Max Blast is a POS in my opinion as are most vendor supplied drive utilities and I never would have considered trying it in that situation but I'm glad you were able to fix things with it.

wazoo2u
2005-02-22, 06:40 AM
DeepElem,

Fortunately (for me), I'll never have the experience of being at your house to defrag a drive.

The forum is called TECHNOBABBLE. I suggest that you learn how to be polite and RESPECTFULLY DISAGREE. Cursing me out only shows your own ignorance.

RainDawg
2005-02-22, 06:55 AM
DeepElem,
Your technobabbble post was completely uncalled for, nonsensical, and nonsequiter. Personal comments of this nature may have no place in this forum, and I expect that you understand the reasons and respect them.

Wazoo may not be a "super genius", but he's one of the more experienced and intelligent posters we have to this forum. Your sarcasm makes you ignorant.

feralicious
2005-02-22, 10:35 AM
Fortunately (for me), I'll never have the experience of being at your house to defrag a drive.Wanna come to my house for a little defragging? :naughty:

:lol

wazoo2u
2005-02-22, 10:52 AM
Wanna come to my house for a little defragging? :naughty:

:lol
:D Nice thought Nina, but I know you'll only ask me Avid questions... ;)

h_vargas
2005-02-22, 11:01 AM
off topic, but according to Murphy's law, i think if the power goes off while you're doing something on the computer then something like ALL of your important data is gone. completely. :lol

feralicious - looks liks someone needs to take a little break from downloading, hmm? at least long enough to clear off *one* of their numerous physical hard drives. i'm sure this anonymous person i'm referring to has been doing the classic burn a disc right before s/he goes to bed, and burn another right when s/he wakes up. i know it's not much, but that's clearing off 8 GB or so a day (if s/he archives data on blank dvds).

feralicious
2005-02-22, 05:02 PM
:D Nice thought Nina, but I know you'll only ask me Avid questions... ;)Such as "How long have you been an Avid fan of mine?" :D

feralicious
2005-02-22, 05:06 PM
eralicious - looks liks someone needs to take a little break from downloading, hmm? at least long enough to clear off *one* of their numerous physical hard drives. i'm sure this anonymous person i'm referring to has been doing the classic burn a disc right before s/he goes to bed, and burn another right when s/he wakes up. i know it's not much, but that's clearing off 8 GB or so a day (if s/he archives data on blank dvds).
:lol I try, I try... I've recently burned off a bit, got 3 more to do today. But it just keeps on coming! :hmm:

AAR.oner
2005-02-22, 05:35 PM
whats defagging...is that like one of those crazy camps where they make gay people straight?

;)

wazoo2u
2005-02-22, 08:40 PM
fRagging... fRagging... jeebus hep me !!!:lol

h_vargas
2005-02-22, 10:42 PM
:lol I try, I try... I've recently burned off a bit, got 3 more to do today. But it just keeps on coming! :hmm:

uh huh, a likely story. maybe someone needs a timeout? lol

only kidding. happy downloading!

U2Lynne
2005-02-22, 10:51 PM
uh huh, a likely story. maybe someone needs a timeout? lol

only kidding. happy downloading!
I look at her in her avatar (yes, I know it's PJ) and want to respond that she needs a spanking (I can't stop thinking of her in concert!), not a timeout. But, that just doesn't sound right coming from me! :disbelief

You guys have fun with her. :)

wharfrat73
2005-02-23, 05:18 AM
:whip: <perk> Spanking?

starman714
2005-02-23, 12:56 PM
If memory leaks cause your disc to be hung up in the middle of defragging or any other program , why not just go into task manager and manually end the offending program ? It warns of data loss in the project you're working on , but if the files themselves are already saved to disc , they're always still there for me , so far , and pass checksums....

feralicious
2005-02-23, 01:00 PM
I look at her in her avatar (yes, I know it's PJ) and want to respond that she needs a spanking (I can't stop thinking of her in concert!), not a timeout. But, that just doesn't sound right coming from me! :disbelief

You guys have fun with her. :)
:lmao: I don't think it would feel quite right coming from you either. :lol

But wait... why are you throwing me to the wolves??? :eek:

dorrcoq
2005-02-23, 03:07 PM
I'd spank her! :D :drool

feralicious
2005-02-23, 04:09 PM
I'd spank her! :D :drool
Well, well, didn't take long for the leader of the pack to sniff out these posts. :wave: :nono:

dorrcoq
2005-02-23, 06:13 PM
Well, well, didn't take long for the leader of the pack to sniff out these posts. :wave: :nono:

or maybe I will just live vicariously through Spelunker, in this case
:wave:

U2Lynne
2005-02-23, 06:22 PM
or maybe I will just live vicariously through Spelunker, in this case
:wave:
You're going to watch while Spe spanks her? :wtf:

dorrcoq
2005-02-23, 10:32 PM
You're going to watch while Spe spanks her? :wtf:

"vicarious" doesn't necessarily relate to voyeurism. Of course, if they want me to watch...... :D

SIBLY
2005-02-27, 10:19 AM
All this spanking talk is very nice..... :naughty:

I run Diskkeeper on the win2k machine I basically use as server almost daily. I use its scheduling features on each hd (a 13gb partitioned c/d, and seperate 200/160/250gb drives) and have never had an issue.

Am I the only one here who uses a UPS on my computers?

feralicious
2005-02-27, 12:03 PM
<snip>
Am I the only one here who uses a UPS on my computers?No I do. But that last delivery guy didn't like it. He wanted to be used on the dining room table. :eek:

Spelunker
2005-02-27, 12:08 PM
No I do. But that last delivery guy didn't like it. He wanted to be used on the dining room table. :eek:
Is that why I keep seeing type things like this:

yg7d0ewhduhewy8bc-qcbiuhjefncm9d=jkcij09dmu9cnbedyu8cnbu=
iunduic-nmcu9=neciunisda=cxmioansdbfcyhnjdcunsdjunc
sk,icmjsic
ascimc0-ksmji0dmjio-s
]=JNMCDIU9NC\JDSNIU9CNMS=-NCUJDS

paddington
2005-02-27, 05:47 PM

I run Diskkeeper on the win2k machine I basically use as server almost daily. I use its scheduling features on each hd (a 13gb partitioned c/d, and seperate 200/160/250gb drives) and have never had an issue.

Am I the only one here who uses a UPS on my computers?

nope ;)

i was waiting to see who would come up with the actual solution :)

There are traders and then there are Traders, hmm?

Five
2005-02-27, 07:21 PM
I've got a UPS too!

coolman5001
2005-02-27, 09:20 PM
I'd like one, but by budget doesn't have room for one at the moment. :(

U2Lynne
2005-02-27, 11:16 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. Must be a PC thing. :confused:

ozzyzak
2005-02-28, 12:27 AM
Uninterruptable Power Supply I believe. You guys use them in case of storms or what? Never had a use for one over here on the west coast :lol

feralicious
2005-02-28, 01:44 AM
Seriously, I use one. Two actually. One on my PC and one on my Mac. The Mac is the important one to have it on since that's my work computer.

And I live in California. Don't you have power outages in National City?

SIBLY, what gave you the impression that noone used UPSs? :confused:

Five
2005-02-28, 01:44 AM
when my power goes out, my whole place is dark but my computer and monitor remain fully functional for about 20 minutes. I get a chance to save everything and shut down properly. my power only goes out a couple times a year, but I'm very glad to have a UPS when it does.

ozzyzak
2005-02-28, 03:16 AM
We get power outages very rarely. I can't even remember the last time it went out. I also can't remember the last time I *needed* to use the computer so bad that I couldn't wait an hour or so. I can see where it would be useful if you do work that you don't save and leave open but otherwise, my computer losing power isn't a significant worry.

feralicious
2005-02-28, 12:04 PM
Well mine only have about 5-10 min so definitely it's just for saving. If I'm desperate when the power is out, like I was the night it was out for 6 hours, I can use my laptop. :)