PDA

View Full Version : Joining VOB's

MasterSandman II
2007-05-30, 12:01 AM
What's a (good) program that can be used to join VOB files?

diggrd
2007-05-30, 01:10 AM
Try DVDShrink (http://www.dvdshrink.org/)

possessed
2007-05-30, 09:04 AM
Why would you join VOB files? :hmm:

MasterSandman II
2007-05-30, 09:15 AM
Why would you join VOB files? :hmm:

I've been trying to author a DVD and everytime I do it...there's always a skip between each VOB file...if I join them, there's no skip.

trustthex
2007-05-30, 09:37 AM
VOB/DVD filesystem cannot read past/exceed the 1gb limit, so joining them will make them useless

possessed
2007-05-30, 10:09 AM
VOB/DVD filesystem cannot read past/exceed the 1gb limit, so joining them will make them useless
exactly why I posted my comment.

MSII, try a different program to author your disc. What are you using now?

MasterSandman II
2007-05-30, 11:43 AM
exactly why I posted my comment.

MSII, try a different program to author your disc. What are you using now?

DVD-lab PRO

diggrd
2007-05-30, 12:32 PM
DVD-lab PRO
Did you start with raw video files or is this a re-author of some sort?

katnapz
2007-05-30, 03:31 PM
Did you start with raw video files or is this a re-author of some sort?

Have to admit I'm confused by what he's trying to do also diggrd. I've used DVD-lab Pro myself many times and I've never had any problems joining VOBs. From his initial question it sound's like he's re-authoring of some kind since he's working with VOB's in the first place.

MS II - What steps are you taking when you add VOBs to DVDLPro? I choose the first VOB in the numbered series, then get a confirmation window asking if I want to join them and multiplex them (yes to both)...and this gives you the raw *.ac3 and *.mpv files to work with. I've never had a problem with glitches. Also have to say that I've never chosen the option to just had the program just join the VOB's without breaking them down so that might be your problem?
Let us know what the steps are you're taking in the program and maybe we can figure out what's going on to help you use what you have. No reason to go out spending money on something else (they're all pretty expensive) when you have a program that should do it for you.

Actually, just thought of something...you aren't having DVDLPro kick out one big VOB as the final authoring are you? That might give problems on some players. Not sure on that as I've never worked that result but figured I'd ask while it came to mind.

STLBlues
2007-05-30, 03:32 PM
I use VOB Merge 2.5 for joining VOB's. You can then import that into an authoring program for a re-author. Or demux the single VOB into it's raw mpeg2 and audio file(s).

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOBMerge

MasterSandman II
2007-05-30, 04:11 PM
I use VOB Merge 2.5 for joining VOB's. You can then import that into an authoring program for a re-author. Or demux the single VOB into it's raw mpeg2 and audio file(s).

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOBMerge

Thank you...that worked great. I'm planning on taking the joined files and then importing them into DVD-lab PRO.

I am trying to reauthor a disc because the menu didn't work so I couldn't get past it and play the show.

Maybe some of you can help me with the program. I'm not sure if I was going about it the right way. I ripped the data off of the DVD and then created seven different movies on the program since there were seven VOB's (it was a DVD 9). I imported the VOB's into each movie and then went to Connections and selected that the end link on each VOB file be the next one. When I played it on my DVD player, there was a skip and pause in between each VOB file.

MasterSandman II
2007-05-30, 04:12 PM
Actually, just thought of something...you aren't having DVDLPro kick out one big VOB as the final authoring are you? That might give problems on some players. Not sure on that as I've never worked that result but figured I'd ask while it came to mind.

No...DVD-lab PRO puts out split VOB's when I compile the final DVD.

STLBlues
2007-05-30, 04:39 PM
So you ripped a DVD9 which has 7 VOB's (1-7)? You merged those together correct? It's all 1 show/movie correct? If so, just drag-and-drop the single VOB into DVD Lab PRO, the a/v assets box at the bottom. It will automatically demux the video and the audio files. DVD Lab PRO will demux the video file into a .mpv. It's mpeg2, just a different extension name. Put those into your timeline and make your chapters, etc. Does that help you?

trustthex
2007-05-30, 04:46 PM
i think what he is talking about is that his finished product has skips between vobs?

katnapz
2007-05-30, 05:14 PM
I think I understand. You took each sequential VOB from your ripped disc and put each into a separate movie (Movie 1, Movie 2, Movie 3). If so that's why you're getting the skip. You're basically making "X" movies on one disc instead of one movie.

On the disc you ripped, there should be a sequence of VOBs that are the movie/show. It should be the ones that are BIG (about a gig each)....the smaller ones will be menus and such. Take the first of those big ones and import it into the assets window in the bottom left. DVDLPro should then pop up a window asking you what to do with it. And then note the steps I mentioned before. Choose to join the VOBs and to demultiplex to elementary. You'll end up with the "raw" video/audio streams in your assets window now that you can then drag up into your "Movie 1" window. Let me know if you need a screenshot or something and I can put it up. You're just making an unneeded step with the other program.

MasterSandman II
2007-05-30, 06:27 PM
On the disc you ripped, there should be a sequence of VOBs that are the movie/show. It should be the ones that are BIG (about a gig each)....the smaller ones will be menus and such. Take the first of those big ones and import it into the assets window in the bottom left. DVDLPro should then pop up a window asking you what to do with it. And then note the steps I mentioned before. Choose to join the VOBs and to demultiplex to elementary. You'll end up with the "raw" video/audio streams in your assets window now that you can then drag up into your "Movie 1" window. Let me know if you need a screenshot or something and I can put it up. You're just making an unneeded step with the other program.

I did that. For some reason with this disc...the last VOB file would end up being the first and everything would get mixed up. Everything was named right VTS_01_1 - VTS_01_2 and so on but it just wouldn't work.

I got everything to work now so it's all good.

katnapz
2007-05-30, 07:10 PM
The only thing that I can think of in regards the your problem "last being first and the rest ok" is this.
When you click on the Import Assets button, and the selection window came up,...did you first click on the first VOB, and then take you mouse down to the last VOB/hold SHIFT key and click the mouse to highlight (choose) all the VOBs in between plus the first and last one?
If you do that take a look at the "File Name" line next to the "Open" button before you hit it. You'll see that now the last VOB you clicked on has now become the first on this line. It's a Windows thing (or maybe a hold over from DOS). I've known people to bang their heads against walls for days not understanding why this happens with some programs. I used to have an old MP3 player that if I did the same thing when dragging files into it....it would take the last track and put it at the beginning. Took a bit of trial and error to figure it out (luckily not days).

Basically, you have to mouse the last VOB first, and then go to the first VOB. Or!....just choose the first VOB and the program will figure it out and work though the rest on their own. Pretty much the only time you wouldn't do this is if for some strange reason you didn't want the end of the show or something.

Hope this helps. Keep banging away on DVDLPro. It's an extremely easy program to use once you use it a couple times with some really cool features buried deep underneath that you normally don't find unless you read the manual.