PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive CD/DVD burning programs?

god61
2007-05-15, 05:50 PM
I just got a new computer that has a DVD burner and I am wondering if there are any inexpensive or free reliable burner programs that will work with Vista on my new machine. Does anybody have any suggestions?

AAR.oner
2007-05-15, 07:16 PM
ONES is the only way to go imo...used nero for years until one of the other mods told me about it...best $25 you could spend on a program, and there's a 30-day trial if you want to try it out before buying

http://shop.tx-software.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=7&code_lg=lg_us

additional reviews/info:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Prassi_ONES
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_applications/prassi_ones.cfm

god61
2007-05-15, 09:58 PM
Looks promising. I will give the trial a try. Thanks!

LEDZEPZOSO
2007-05-16, 03:42 AM
Here is a couple links for Nero 7,
this was just posted on slickdeals for $6 I have never order from them
http://www.acortech.com/Nero_7.0_Essentials_Suite_1_OEM/Nero_7.0/partinfo-id-3217556.html

This site has the software for $12, signup for the mail list and they usually has special for free shipping. Once in a while the will have this software for $.99.
http://www.pacificgeek.com/product.asp?id=21915&C=283&S=1246

Festafarian
2007-05-16, 01:00 PM
Listen to Aaron.... Ones is the way to go.

KoolKat
2007-05-16, 01:21 PM
:lol: From the Ones site

---------------------------

ONES Version 2.1
ONES has been designed to meet the needs of both beginners and experienced users alike, thanks to its intuitive and user-friendly interface.
ONES is different from other CD/DVD burning software as it uses an innovative new recording technology which means that it can function with any existing or future CD/DVD recorder. Updates are no longer necessary.

then it says

Download update Version 2.1.358 (Update of the burning engine).

Never tried it ,probably never will(don't fix what ain't broke attitude)..but you gotta love that for promotion :lol

K_K

saltman
2007-05-16, 01:45 PM
I love ONES.

AAR.oner
2007-05-16, 04:24 PM
:lol: From the Ones site

---------------------------

ONES Version 2.1
ONES has been designed to meet the needs of both beginners and experienced users alike, thanks to its intuitive and user-friendly interface.
ONES is different from other CD/DVD burning software as it uses an innovative new recording technology which means that it can function with any existing or future CD/DVD recorder. Updates are no longer necessary.

then it says

Download update Version 2.1.358 (Update of the burning engine).

Never tried it ,probably never will(don't fix what ain't broke attitude)..but you gotta love that for promotion :lol

K_K
i'm pretty sure they meant no firmware updates are needed, not prog updates...but funny none the less :lol

and seriously you should try it K_K, great program and way more accurate than Nero, etc...hell, i'm considering running Parallels/Windows on the Mac just so i can use it and TLH

katnapz
2007-05-16, 05:14 PM
... great program and way more accurate than Nero,....

AAR-Can you expand on your statement more? I've researched ONES previously and wasn't really blown away by the reading I did. It burns discs and some other tricks that seem to be _mostly_ similar to other burning apps. I mean, even the reviews I've read on it basically gave it a thumbs up, but no mention of a "WOW! Look what this does different!"
I've used Nero along with some other programs to burn (depends on what it is), and although some people tend to complain about Nero being "picky," personally I _like_ that! I would rather have a program tell me if a DVD was not created by book standard than not. It's extremely frustrating when I see torrents where people complain about Nero giving them a legitimate error flag, then see a dozen replies on "how to work around" it. Hello people!, the program is trying to tell you something there! ...so now you have people hacking little fixes...and then trading these discs to others to trade...
Sorry for the rant....but seriously, I've never seen it mentioned that ONES has any type of verification/authentication built into it that's more robust than other apps, so I'm wondering what you're getting at.

direwolf-pgh
2007-05-16, 07:06 PM
AAR-Can you expand on your statement more? I've researched ONES previously and wasn't really blown away by the reading I did. It burns discs and some other tricks that seem to be _mostly_ similar to other burning apps. I mean, even the reviews I've read on it basically gave it a thumbs up, but no mention of a "WOW! Look what this does different!"
I've used Nero along with some other programs to burn (depends on what it is), and although some people tend to complain about Nero being "picky," personally I _like_ that! I would rather have a program tell me if a DVD was not created by book standard than not. It's extremely frustrating when I see torrents where people complain about Nero giving them a legitimate error flag, then see a dozen replies on "how to work around" it. Hello people!, the program is trying to tell you something there! ...so now you have people hacking little fixes...and then trading these discs to others to trade...
Sorry for the rant....but seriously, I've never seen it mentioned that ONES has any type of verification/authentication built into it that's more robust than other apps, so I'm wondering what you're getting at.
what made Nero great (5 years ago) was it used to be a small app that handled multiple file structures well.

Now its a 400MB install pig - that even tries to interface with my smart phone sync :wtf: - thats when I said enough!

ONES takes it all back to the KISS ideology.
its a 1.6MB install and does everything without chewing up your resources.

I also noticed (in my recent switch) that the swap file / burn scheme is quicker and handles DVD authoring inconsistencies ( read: different author progs) very well.

2cents

retired
2007-05-16, 07:44 PM
...In addition, ONES makes an EXACT copy of the source everytime [no matter which burn method chosen (Data Mastering, Record VIDEO_TS, Disc Copy)], unlike nero which consistently alters the VIDEO_TS ifo & bup files. :disbelief

katnapz
2007-05-16, 07:47 PM
Well then,...MP3's are MUCH smaller than FLAC files so they must be better right? :arrow:
(I'll save any other comments as I need the extra time to run and hide now before the arrows fly!) :lol

Ahhhh,...nah, I'll hang around for a minute for some comments.
I understand the bloatware irritation, but geez,...the smallest storage I have on any of my computers is somewhere around 300Gig. A couple extra megs doesn't mean squat to me anymore....if I need the room that much, I'll use Nlite to strip down an XP OS install.
As far as inconsistencies...that's what I mentioned before. Sadly some authoring programs don't follow the book standards as well as they should which is why Nero blows a fuse. It's funny, but before I saddled up with a newer DVD player, my old player would usually have problems with the same discs that Nero would flag. That kinda tells me that somewhere, there's some DVD authoring proggies (I ain't naming names) that don't do what they're supposed to do,....correctly.
By the way, have you ever looked up Nero Lite or Nero Micro? Not as small as ONES, but back the the basics thinking behind it.

direwolf-pgh
2007-05-16, 07:53 PM
i didnt read your post - only scanned it.
from all those words.. I saw one question: why ONES?

yes i understand most traders have large hard drives - its not about storage.
Do you use utorrent or that java based one ? same answer / same question.

you have my 2cents - do what you wish with it :)

direwolf-pgh
2007-05-16, 08:14 PM
^^addendum

the VBT Mod recommends it. ' nuff said. :cool:

Tubular
2007-05-17, 02:41 AM
To burn video DVD's, I use Nero Express. If I want to make a copy at a later date, I extract with DVD Decrypter, which makes an exact copy of all the data. This has always resulted in a perfect burn and then perfect rip for me (not sayin' ONES isn't great)

If you absolutely must burn audio CD's right away and have no cash, Exact Audio Copy is a great free program to use. It is also the best program available for Windows to copy audio CD's to your hard drive. Don't know if it works with Vista though. :hmm:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Tubular
2007-05-17, 04:41 AM
just to clarify: Nero express will burn the DVD video files without altering them, then DVD Decrypter will extract without altering the files. So you can reseed DVD video shows using this method and the md5's will match.

AAR.oner
2007-05-17, 05:12 AM
i agree re: people tryin to ignore errors...which is why i prefer ONES over Nero [which i had used for years and thought was the best option out there-and it was--til ONES]

when first started testing, i noticed that Nero was burning shows with small errors and saying everything was fine, whereas ONES caught the error and reported...i can't tell you what verification engine it uses, all i know is it caught errors that Nero didnt...as wolf was pointing out, Nero is a resource hog compared to ONES... and, Nero alters certain files [.ifo & .bup] and ONES doesn't, no matter which format yer burning

finally, Nero charges $80 and ONES charges $25

use whatever ya want, we really don't care...but i'm telling you, ONES is the best and most accurate burning prog out there for the windoze platform

AAR.oner
2007-05-17, 05:23 AM
To burn video DVD's, I use Nero Express. If I want to make a copy at a later date, I extract with DVD Decrypter, which makes an exact copy of all the data. This has always resulted in a perfect burn and then perfect rip for me (not sayin' ONES isn't great)

If you absolutely must burn audio CD's right away and have no cash, Exact Audio Copy is a great free program to use. It is also the best program available for Windows to copy audio CD's to your hard drive. Don't know if it works with Vista though. :hmm:

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
Nero alters files, check my post above...granted they are ifo/bup files [structural files] and not video content, but its till not the same file set as the original

and why use DVD Decrypter, which was designed for extracting copy-protected discs? this is something i see all the time being done/recommended but is unnecessary...any shows that are traded shouldn't need to be extracted--just drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to yer HD--easy as that

Blue_Devil_31
2007-05-17, 12:00 PM
and why use DVD Decrypter, which was designed for extracting copy-protected discs? this is something i see all the time being done/recommended but is unnecessary...any shows that are traded shouldn't need to be extracted--just drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the disc to yer HD--easy as that

agreed! :clap:

Tubular
2007-05-17, 12:08 PM
Maybe some burning/extracting methods that Nero uses alter .bup and .ifo files (I don't know, I've only used Nero Express to burn), but I just extracted a DVD that I burned using Nero Express, created an .md5 with MKWact and the files matched, including the .bup and .ifo files. I looked on the show's webpage where the .md5 is pasted into the first post of the show to check that they are the same. Nero Express is just an option from the main menu of Nero Ultra 7. I use the default settings when burning video DVD's.