PDA

View Full Version : dvd mac burning issue

bushboy47
2007-05-07, 03:53 PM
ok, so i'm rather new to the whole video dl'ing and am admittedly no computer genius(just a preface), i've made copies of dvds before with my powerbook g4 using disk utility and the whole creating a disk image with no problems. so i've dl'd my first video and am having such a problem getting it to burn correctly. i've tried creating a disk image using both the ts video folder alone as well as the entire overall folder and burned to a dvd-r. but upon completion, my computer ejects the disk and when i put it back in to see if it worked it holds it for like ten seconds and then spits it right back out. i've tried a different disk imaging program as well as a different burn program with the same result. i've viewed the individual vob files on my computer so i know they're there and working. i'm at my wits end, and sick of wrecking all these disks!!! what am i doing wrong?

U2Lynne
2007-05-07, 04:28 PM
Make sure only bup, ifo, and vob files are in the VIDEO_TS folder. Then, take a look at this: http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html

bushboy47
2007-05-07, 04:56 PM
Make sure only bup, ifo, and vob files are in the VIDEO_TS folder. Then, take a look at this: http://lonestar.utsa.edu/llee/applescript/dvdimager.html

i've checked the ts folder, only those three files are present. and i've already downloaded dvd imager and used it to create an image. shouldn't i then be able to drop the created image into disk utility and burn it? i've done that with the aforementioned outcome. any other ideas as to what else could be wrong?

U2Lynne
2007-05-07, 05:22 PM
Hmmmm, I guess I would make sure that the files verified correctly using the checksums provided. Then, if they did, I would look through the thread and see if anyone else has been having any problems.

So, what you are seeing is the disk seemingly burning fine, but then your computer rejects it? Is this maybe a new pack of media? Even if not, have you tried burning a disc from another pack of media? Or tried a different type of media? Which torrent thread is it?

bushboy47
2007-05-07, 05:29 PM
Hmmmm, I guess I would make sure that the files verified correctly using the checksums provided. Then, if they did, I would look through the thread and see if anyone else has been having any problems.

So, what you are seeing is the disk seemingly burning fine, but then your computer rejects it? Is this maybe a new pack of media? Even if not, have you tried burning a disc from another pack of media? Or tried a different type of media? Which torrent thread is it?

i'm attempting to burn again. here's a question, should the disk image/file i am burning have an extention with .img or .dmg? otherwise i don't think its the media, i've used this pack before. it's the 7-2-06 dmb torrent, which i know works fine, a friend of mine got it and burned it with no issues, he's offered to burn it for me but i am bound and determined to figure it out for myself!

U2Lynne
2007-05-07, 05:49 PM
I believe you should end up with an iso file. However, I don't burn using that method, I use Toast to burn my DVDs.

You've said that the computer rejects the disk after you've burned it, but what about your DVD player? What happens with it?

bushboy47
2007-05-07, 05:56 PM
I believe you should end up with an iso file. However, I don't burn using that method, I use Toast to burn my DVDs.

You've said that the computer rejects the disk after you've burned it, but what about your DVD player? What happens with it?

my dvd player doesn't recognize it. i can view it on the dvd player on my computer just fine. i wonder why i can't see an iso file. i guess i'll have to work on achieving that. thanks for all your help, i gotta run hopefully i can figure it out eventually!

U2Lynne
2007-05-07, 06:11 PM
What kind of file are you ending up with? I was guessing an iso file because of the directions given in the link I originally posted:

Step by step instructions for using DVD Imager
1. Use iDVD or some other Video DVD tool to create
A.) a VIDEO_TS folder with muxed video and audio encoded in MPEG2, or
B.)a folder with VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders and additional files and folders.
2. Launch DVD Imager
3. If you chose option A, be sure that VIDEO_TS folder mode is selected. If you chose option B, be sure that Disk Copy Mode is selected.
4. Drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto either the DVD Imager Dock icon or the DVD Imager window. If you chose Disk Copy Mode (option B), DVD Imager will use the AUDIO_TS folder and additional files and folders found in the same location (folder) as the VIDEO_TS folder.
5. Click "Create Image"..
6. Specify the location where you want the disk image to be placed (if this is the first time you've created a disk image with DVD Imager, or if a checkmark appears in "Prompt for New Location").
7. Enter the name of the DVD using only capital letters and underscores. This is the name that computer users will see when they insert your Video DVD into their computer
8. Wait.

You can now review the Video DVD disk image by using the Finder to mount the .iso image (double click) and DVD Player to play the DVD by specifying the location of the VIDEO_TS folder in the mounted image. You can also burn the image to a blank DVD disk:

Tiger & Panther - Choose "Burn..." from Disk Utility's Images menu, navigate to and select your disk image file.

Jaguar - Choose "Burn Image..." from Disk Copy's File menu, navigate to and select your disk image file.

Are you entering the DVD name in all caps and underscores as mentioned in the directions above?

What version of Mac OS are you using?

bushboy47
2007-05-07, 06:50 PM
after creating the disk image it shows in my disk utility with two icons, one is the image, with the .img extension, the other is a mounted volume. i've titled it with the caps on and underscored my spaces, and i'm using osx version 10..4.9.

U2Lynne
2007-05-07, 07:28 PM
I'm talking about what the extension is when you first create the disk image with DVD Imager..... doesn't it show up on your desktop? You realize that you cannot create a playable video DVD using Disk Utility, right? (You cannot open Disk Utility and do a Create Disk Image from Folder.)

bushboy47
2007-05-07, 07:28 PM
what is really confusing me is the lack of any iso file. after i create the image it appears on my desktop as an img(DMB_7.2.06D1.img) file. not sure how or if i can change it to an iso file? but when i click on it in my finder, it opens and shows the VIDEO_TS folder along with the empty AUDIO_TS folder. have tried burning it with no different results as before :(

U2Lynne
2007-05-07, 07:31 PM
what is really confusing me is the lack of any iso file. after i create the image it appears on my desktop as an img(DMB_7.2.06D1.img) file. not sure how or if i can change it to an iso file? but when i click on it in my finder, it opens and shows the VIDEO_TS folder along with the empty AUDIO_TS folder. have tried burning it with no different results as before :(
I wonder if those periods are confusing it? Maybe try calling it just "DMB2006-07-02"?

bushboy47
2007-05-07, 07:41 PM
I wonder if those periods are confusing it? Maybe try calling it just "DMB2006-07-02"?

i've created a number of disk images and used different names, with and without periods with no luck. i've found a way to convert the file from an img to an iso so i'm gonna create yet another disk image and attempt to burn again. wish me luck.

bushboy47
2007-05-07, 07:45 PM
ok, attempted to convert the file to an iso but was told that i couldn't, have to use .cdr. when i get info on the file it says that it is not writable, do i assume that it wont work if it is considered not writable?

AAR.oner
2007-05-08, 05:08 AM
a .cdr file is a picture file [corel draw], yer headed down the wrong path

is the show a dual layer [DVD9] show, or are you trying to burn "more than one disc" as one disk image? have you tried running the checksum to make sure its complete/undamaged?

bushboy47
2007-05-08, 01:51 PM
a .cdr file is a picture file [corel draw], yer headed down the wrong path

is the show a dual layer [DVD9] show, or are you trying to burn "more than one disc" as one disk image? have you tried running the checksum to make sure its complete/undamaged?

yeah, the .cdr conversion didn't work. i read that if i entered it at the end of my file when converting in disk utility that it would convert to an .iso file. i don't believe that the show is dual layer. and i have been burning the two discs separately. as far as the checksums go, bear with me as i really haven't done much with checksums before. i put the mds file for each disc(separately) into my xACT program under the checksum tab and processed them. they both come up as an error. then i get a window which shows each of the files in the video_ts file and reads "no such file or directory" and "failed open or read" did i do this correctly, and if so, what does it mean? is it damaged? frustrated.

U2Lynne
2007-05-08, 01:53 PM
You may have to (temporarily!) move the checksums into the VIDEO_TS folder in order to run the checksums on them.

bushboy47
2007-05-08, 02:14 PM
You may have to (temporarily!) move the checksums into the VIDEO_TS folder in order to run the checksums on them.

ok, tried moving the checksums and they all came back as ok so i guess that's not the problem.

U2Lynne
2007-05-08, 03:19 PM
OK, I just installed DVD Imager on my computer....

Opened it up
Dragged a VIDEO_TS folder into the window
Left the Method as "VIDEO_TS Folder mode"
I hit Create Image
It asked me where to save it
It asked me for a name - "TEST_ONE"

The first time I did this, I did it with a show I was currently seeding and so it would not make an image for me. I ended up with a file "TEST_ONE.img" that was Zero in size. I didn't get an error or anything, DVD Imager simply closed. So, I tried again on a show that I am not currently seeding and a DVD Imager Status window popped up and it took a few minutes for it to create a file. But, I eventually ended up with a file called "TEST_ONE.img" that was slightly larger than the original VIDEO_TS folder - original was 3.29 GB, this image file was 3.31 GB. I then double-clicked on the img file, and it mounted on my desktop and I could see the contents - an empty AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder with exactly the same contents as the original VIDEO_TS folder that I selected.

Is this the same process that you went through?

bushboy47
2007-05-08, 03:28 PM
yes, that's exactly what i've done.

U2Lynne
2007-05-08, 03:31 PM
Well, except that you aren't ending up with an img file, right? And, if you double-click it, it doesn't mount on the desktop.... and you can't open it and view the contents of the file, right?

Are you burning to a DVD-R? or DVD+R?

bushboy47
2007-05-08, 03:48 PM
no, i am able to do all those things. i double click on the disk image, it mounts, VIDEO_TS(with same files as original) and empty AUDIO_TS folders are present. i can view it with no problems including menus and song list in the dvd player application. from here i've selected the .img file in disk utility and burned with the same problem again. i'm trying a different program called "burn" that is creating the disk image and burning all in one. hopefully it will works.

bushboy47
2007-05-08, 04:39 PM
or not. same issue. this "burn" program converted my ts files and burned, spit out the disc. i reinserted it and it spit it back out again. oooh, but wait, i put it into my stand alone dvd player and it actually works!!!! i'm watching it on my tv right now! not sure what the issue is with my computer but at least i know that it's burned. thank you so much for all your help lynne! any ideas as to why my computer is acting like this would be appreciated!

U2Lynne
2007-05-08, 05:12 PM
I can't think of why your computer is acting like that. Have you tried rebooting it and seeing if the issue persists?

Which Mac are you using? What type of DVDs did you buy?

bushboy47
2007-05-08, 06:34 PM
I can't think of why your computer is acting like that. Have you tried rebooting it and seeing if the issue persists?

Which Mac are you using? What type of DVDs did you buy?

i've tried rebooting it with no luck. it still won't accept the disc. burned the second disc and it does the same thing, works on my dvd player but not my computer. i have a powerbook g4 and am using memorex dvd-r's. i've made copies of dvds before with discs from this same spindle with no issues so i'm confused as ever. but at least they're burned. i guess i just won't be viewing them on my computer.

ffooky
2007-05-09, 03:29 AM
I'd suggest you try resetting the PRAM just in case. Restart and then once the machine has shut down but before it actually restarts, hold down command-option-p-r (finger gymnastics) until you hear the start up chimes 4 times.

bushboy47
2007-05-09, 07:35 PM
I'd suggest you try resetting the PRAM just in case. Restart and then once the machine has shut down but before it actually restarts, hold down command-option-p-r (finger gymnastics) until you hear the start up chimes 4 times.

tried this, didn't do anything. then i got scared that something was seriously wrong with my disc drive and tried inserting a regular cd. it worked fine. just doesn't want to play my burned video discs. :disbelief oh well, like i said, at least i have them burned.

U2Lynne
2007-05-09, 07:41 PM
bushboy, it would be interesting to know if your discs play in other computers. Take one to work or to a friends house or a computer store and see if it plays there.