PDA

View Full Version : DVD Media

jcrab66
2004-11-13, 06:45 AM
Just recently got with the times and installed a DVD Burner for the sole purpose of archiving shows. My question is what is considered to be top notch DVD Media? I noticed all the TDK's I've seen are all Taiwanese. I use TY and Mitsui exclusively for audio but the TY dvd's are damn expensive. Any suggestions on a good choice, japanese preferably.....Thanks

mxz440fan
2004-11-13, 10:42 AM
Fuji, TDK, Ritek, Apple, Verbatim are considered good.
I try to stick to Fuji/TDK after I started having issues with Ritek with my sony burner.
With my old burner all I used were Riteks, though. I think I'm the only one thats ever had a problem with them :lol

U2Lynne
2004-11-13, 11:01 AM
I've used Riteks and Fujis with my Apple Superdrive and never had any problems with them.

Rider
2004-11-13, 11:29 AM
I hear good things about Ritek. I've used Fujis with no problem. But once again just like with CDr's it's kind of pointles to name brands doa search online for the name of you drive read reviesws and see what other people with your drive say.

jcrab66
2004-11-13, 11:39 AM
thanks for the info, i am using a sony burner so i guess i should shy away from the riteks....i'll have to google my drive

feralicious
2004-11-13, 12:20 PM
If you go to www.dvdrhelp.com and navigate over to DVD Writers, on the lefthand side of the page, then search for your burner, you can look up comments on it and you'll find a lot of info on other users experiences with the burner and what type of media works well, or not, with that particular burner. Or just go to DVD Media and look at comments on the media.

Also, you can download a couple free programs that will identify who manufactured your media. DVD Identifier or DVD Info will do it. Sorry, I don't have links but you can probably google them. I think they do CDs too. Good for finding out that your Fuji's are really Riteks or whatever. Also that's good for when you trade to make sure you are getting what was promised if you feel the need to check.

Regarding Riteks, I always thought they were considered lesser quality, but seems that may be incorrect?

mxz440fan
2004-11-13, 01:47 PM
thanks for the info, i am using a sony burner so i guess i should shy away from the riteks....i'll have to google my driveI'm not sure if its all sony's or just mine. I have the OEM version of the DRU-710A (DL).

jcrab66
2004-11-13, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure if its all sony's or just mine. I have the OEM version of the DRU-710A (DL).

thats the same one i have

jcrab66
2004-11-13, 02:11 PM
If you go to www.dvdrhelp.com and navigate over to DVD Writers, on the lefthand side of the page, then search for your burner, you can look up comments on it and you'll find a lot of info on other users experiences with the burner and what type of media works well, or not, with that particular burner. Or just go to DVD Media and look at comments on the media.

Also, you can download a couple free programs that will identify who manufactured your media. DVD Identifier or DVD Info will do it. Sorry, I don't have links but you can probably google them. I think they do CDs too. Good for finding out that your Fuji's are really Riteks or whatever. Also that's good for when you trade to make sure you are getting what was promised if you feel the need to check.

Regarding Riteks, I always thought they were considered lesser quality, but seems that may be incorrect?

great, thanks alot for the link, definitely gonna check that one out

Rider
2004-11-13, 06:07 PM
Also make sure you update teh firmware on your drives, you would be amzed hwo that will fix issues with burning different types of media.

feralicious
2004-11-13, 08:08 PM
Also make sure you update teh firmware on your drives, you would be amzed hwo that will fix issues with burning different types of media.
But has no effect whatsoever on typos. ;)

mxz440fan
2004-11-13, 08:21 PM
thats the same one i haveThe Fuji 4x +R's are clutch. Even my xbox recognized them (and its a version 1.1, so its got the shitty drive) :clap:

Genesis
2004-11-17, 01:43 AM
fuji

Genesis
2004-11-17, 01:45 AM
I just picked up a 50 pack of Fuji dvdr's for $19.99 at best buy today so check those out

tritonman
2004-11-17, 01:55 AM
Fuji's or TDK's, you can't go wrong with either

jcrab66
2004-11-17, 10:19 AM
I just picked up a 50 pack of Fuji dvdr's for $19.99 at best buy today so check those out

got 2 50 spindles of them, made in japan too, sweet deal, thanks for all the info peeps....:)

Karst
2004-11-17, 10:23 AM
http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-media.html

hntgzr
2004-11-18, 03:10 PM
JC, it's all to do with the DYE used and not the make!

Ritek make the best dye's for blank DVD's, just like Taiyo Yuden make the best dye for blank CD's.

Look out for any DVD with a Ritek dye, namely Ritek's own A Grade brand. Their dye codes are G04 for 4x (and some 8x), G05 for 8x DVD-R (tho these two are now being replaced by M02).

I don't used Dual Layer, however, Ritek's latest code for these is D01 for DLDVD+R.

Also, I don't really use DVD+R, but again, Ritek's codes for these are R02 and R03.

Some Ritek blank DVD's use the code TTG02... I've never used these, so I can't comment, but I believe they may have something to do with Taiyo Yuden.

TY also make good blank DVD's with dye code TYG02 for 8x and TTG01 for 4x.

Hope that helps!

jcrab66
2004-11-18, 08:53 PM
Hope that helps!

you the man steve, thanks :D