PDA

View Full Version : Folderless Torrents

magoorty
2007-04-19, 05:31 AM
Hi all. I've recently downloaded a couple of video torrents (Captain Beefheart and Hendrix's Albert Hall). In Utorrent they both appear with seeders but don't start. I noticed when I clicked 'open containing folder' it says it doesn't exist. I even tried creating the folder for one but to no avail.
I've never had any problem with torrents before so I'm at a loss.

Any help gratefully received.
Cheers.

saltman
2007-04-19, 09:23 AM
I'm not sure I understand you problem. Both torrents you mentioned have the proper folder structure that is required here. It appears you torrent is never starting.... so it hasn't created the folders yet. That would be the first thing it would do.

Maybe you are not letting it go long enough?

On the bottom of your utorrent window does it show a green light or a red exclamation point that says A Firewall/Router is limiting your network traffic.

U2Lynne
2007-04-19, 10:05 AM
I was thinking that the folder he is supposed to be saving the folder/files to no longer exists. If so, you need to go into your preferences where you set where to save the files and browse to a new folder and select that one. You will probably also have to remove the torrents from utorrent and add them in again so they point to the correct new folder.

saltman
2007-04-19, 10:38 AM
I was thinking that the folder he is supposed to be saving the folder/files to no longer exists. If so, you need to go into your preferences where you set where to save the files and browse to a new folder and select that one. You will probably also have to remove the torrents from utorrent and add them in again so they point to the correct new folder.Ahh... could be.

Go to options>preferences
Downloads.... If the checked box that reads "Put downloads in . . . " references a folder that does not exist it may give you the errors you are seeing.

This is the option that allows µTorrent to automatically download to a specified folder without you having to pick it each time.

Change that to a folder that exists.

magoorty
2007-04-19, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I've not explained things well.
The folders aren't being created. I thought they were put in place before they actual data starts coming in. The torrents don't start at all so I assumed it's because the folders aren't being made, seeing as there are seeders there. All other torrents from this site are fine. I currently have about 4 all going to the same download folder.
Is there a limit on how many I can have? I am behind a firewall but have had good speeds. I can't see anything saying traffic is limited.

saltman
2007-04-19, 01:38 PM
Your client can limit the total number of torrents.
Go to options>preferences
Queueing>Maximum number of active downloads

See if you exceed that number.

magoorty
2007-04-19, 01:49 PM
Quite a bit under the max of 25

U2Lynne
2007-04-19, 02:05 PM
Do you have your harddrive partitioned and maybe ran out of disc space? I don't think that is it, but figured I would post it.

Do you have utorrent set to pre-allocate disc space? If not, and the downloads haven't started, then you won't have a folder made. Which threads are you trying to download the torrents from? You currently have nothing showing up in your profile, so I can't tell from there. What color is the little doohicky next to the torrents?

saltman
2007-04-19, 02:09 PM
Click on the torrent in the µTorrent window to highlite it.
Click on the General tab.
under tracker do you see any errors or does it say it's working?

dorrcoq
2007-04-19, 02:21 PM
What color is the little doohicky next to the torrents?

I'd love to check out your little doohicky, Lynne. :cool: :D

Trader Dave
2007-04-19, 02:35 PM
I'd love to check out your little doohicky, Lynne. :cool: :D
I think she's supposed to delete your comments if they aren't related to helping ppl in this forum.

magoorty
2007-04-20, 04:39 AM
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31638
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16409

Those are the threads I'm trying to download from. Strangely, the Captain Beefheart one has started downloading, so that's fine. The Hendrix one still isn't budging though, even when I move it way up the queue. It says downloading under status. The little arrow is red and pointing down. It says nothing under 'tracker', and I haven't set any disc space limits or run out.

magoorty
2007-04-20, 05:24 AM
Strange. The Hendrix has finally started after 2 days. Great!
Thanks for all the replies anyway.

U2Lynne
2007-04-20, 10:26 AM
Hmmm, not sure why they finally started, but that's good. I did notice that you are firewalled (your port number is in red). That means that you cannot connect to anyone else who is firewalled. So, if you get onto a torrent and the other seeders are firewalled, you will not be able to get the show.

I would head over to portforward.com and see about forwarding your ports.