PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Traffic Shaping? Upload = 0 !

mrwood
2007-03-30, 11:56 PM
Any suggestions to address Comcast 'traffic shaping'?

I can not upload once I have completed a torrent. This is a new situation for me. I have done some troubleshooting (e.g., redownload torrent, restart, reboot, etc.) and research, and I believe it is associated with Comcast tracking my activity & using 'traffic shaping' (google 'traffic shaping' - use wikipedia for some good info) to restrict my uploads.

I am considering using a client with encryption, but this approach has received some mixed responses from others on the web boards. Any thoughts?

Thanks to the mods for the ongoing efforts with this site ! :thumbsup

katnapz
2007-03-31, 11:00 AM
Yes, Comcast started this some time back.
I'm using the latest BitTornado with encryption and haven't had any problems. The only thing you have to realize is that depending on how you configure whatever torrent program you use, you may end up only being able to see others who use encryption....so on the website you may see 20 other seeders/leechers, but in your program you'll only see the ones using encryption....you'll have to play with it to see what you want. Haven't had any issues tho as far as seeding once I have a torrent completed since I did the upgrade.
Also remember to change the default torrent ports. Those are definately being monitored/blocked by a lot of ISP's anymore.

Good luck.

mrwood
2007-03-31, 05:42 PM
Thanks - I am now using encryption & it is working. :)

Emmett T. Jones
2007-04-01, 06:11 AM
Thanks - I am now using encryption & it is working. :)

I'm also having problems to with my ISP (in Canada) traffic shaping. What client are you using?

mrwood
2007-04-01, 11:10 AM
I am using the latest Azureus w/encryption enabled.