PDA

View Full Version : Storage of CD and DVD media

Crotchy
2007-02-22, 09:34 PM
Wasnt entirely sure where to post this..

Was wondering how you guys catalog and store your cd and dvd bootlegs..

rhinowing
2007-02-22, 09:49 PM
booklets in a dark place

lolita_jones
2007-02-22, 10:04 PM
On multiple external and internal hard drives.

D

Stimpo
2007-02-22, 10:45 PM
yea, ive got 2 external hard drives I hold things on while torrenting/burning, and then I keep some on my internal hd. usually i try to burn them as soon as possible to DVD or CD and I have one main 350 disc (i think) case that holds most of my stuff. Then some special DVDs are in various other places as i see fit.

AAR.oner
2007-02-23, 06:11 AM
paper sleeves in a storage case [like this (http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_odyssey_krom_20065_cd_case?full_sku=101290682)]

a dry, dark place with fairly consistent temperatures will help preserve data life

Chachi420
2007-02-23, 06:15 PM
for dvds I only use m-lock cases...what the dvd producing pros of ttd use ;)

xequence
2007-02-23, 07:01 PM
On the spindle it came in, in a box beside my computer desk.

I don't burn audio CDs, as I feel it is kind of a waste. But I do burn video DVDs and other types of CDs.

I do have a few DVDs in small jewel cases and a few in the paper type sleeves.

randytravis
2007-02-23, 09:16 PM
burn everything to dvd, write a number on the disc. add the shows to my etree list. in the comments, copy the text file, filesize, and note the disc number it's archived on. discs go on a spindle and into a dark closet until needed again.

I download so much new stuff and don't trade much anymore, so I rarely break the discs out of the closet.

long ago when I archived to cdr, I used the paper sleeves + rubbermaid box strategy. it works well, just make sure to get ungummed cd sleeves. I have a few that are six or so years old, and the glue has turned to an annoying dust.

DoorsFan12
2007-02-24, 02:32 PM
long ago when I archived to cdr, I used the paper sleeves + rubbermaid box strategy. it works well, just make sure to get ungummed cd sleeves. I have a few that are six or so years old, and the glue has turned to an annoying dust.

What was the strategy? Just put everything in
sleeves, in a rubbermaid box organized alphabetically? After
trading for so long i think i am beginning to lean towards
something similar, and like the original poster i am having
problems getting all of my discs organized that are strewn
around my room etc... Any other advice would be appreciated!

randytravis
2007-02-24, 05:27 PM
Just put everything in
sleeves, in a rubbermaid box organized alphabetically?

yep. artist, date, disc number on the top of the sleeve, so I could flip through them.

here's a picture of what I was using:
http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s62/800000000/discs/

I don't think they make that model anymore, but I'm sure you can find one that fits discs well. that size held about 500 discs and fit perfectly in a storage area under my desk.

chewie420
2007-02-25, 11:48 AM
it took a long time of trading to come to this solution... everything i've ever got in trade or downloaded (audio) in shn or flac i burn an audio copy to play, and put on my "wall of sound", and a flac or shn copy to archive. for awhile i used different methods to store them, until i found this: http://www.bagsunlimited.com/cart/detail.asp?cat=2&subcat=74&product_id=xcd100cp
they have everything you'd ever need to store any type of collection. i use the tyvek sleeves with flaps, and no glue. now, since i got a dvd burner, half my library is multi disc compressed shows on cd, and the newer half is all on dvd. for audio, i put as many shows, in compressed form, on a dvd as i can, write the number of that disc on my own list and also make note of it on my etree list. as for videos, i burn a nice copy with an insert, etc for my collection, and i burn another as a data disc with all the important info (text files, md5, inserts, etc) and put them in sleeves in the boxes as well. the boxes are cool because they are already divided and they sell plastic dividers too, so you can make it really easy to find anything. it's a little more time and expense, but in the end i think it's worth it. for as much time as i put into my music collection, if i didn't have backups and something gets scratched, lost or ruined i would freak. so now, i just pull the b/u out, spin another and put it right back in it's nice safe home. the end.