PDA

View Full Version : portforwarding question??

Jeff B
2007-01-17, 07:56 PM
I bought a router, I have a static ip address on my computer, when I forward a port--the website shows me as firewalled. If I don't forward a port and just have a static IP on my computer--I show up as firewalled. Neither seem to allow me to connect to more people or increase my speed Whats up??????
I have a dynamic IP connection from ATT DSL

cicada
2007-01-18, 12:03 AM
I am by no means an expert at getting things set up properly (feel free to disregard my comments). The mods here are so helpful and I am sure resources exist right here at the Traders Den that would address your issues. I will share my resources in an effort to help.

You did not mention whether you have PC or Mac and you did not mention the router (wireless, etc). You may have already hit the portforwarding website http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm. If not, check it out!

Also be sure to open up the firewall if you are on windows xp http://gruven42.webhop.org/xpfwbt/xp_firewall_bt.htm.

I am sure there are much more knowledgeable folks than I (again, my apologies if you already have this stuff covered). It was somewhat of a chore for me to properly set up a static IP. I trust you that you got that part covered. I used this site to steer me http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm.

Oh, regarding port forwarding on my router, my router mfr advised me to open the DMZ and this worked, but it was a mistake. Once I found the portforwarding website above I discovered that I would need the DNS Server #. So, I did have to call my ip for the DNS Server #. Once I had those numbers, I was good to go (Again, I am NOT suggesting using DMZ~!)

If none of this helps... maybe it will get some others thinking about possible solutions that I have overlooked. Good luck!

U2Lynne
2007-01-18, 09:57 AM
We do need some more info Jeff - what OS are you using, how about your XP firewall, do you have anti-virus programs?

You have a static IP for your computer, which is good. Dynamic IP from your ISP is fine also. So, you need to enter that static IP into your router along with the ports your will be using (I'd suggest using something between 40000 and 52000 since some ISPs are blocking 6881-6889). You also need to enter those ports into any XP or Mac firewall and any anti-virus programs.

slewofboots
2007-01-18, 02:07 PM
It is not necessary on a Windows XP (sp2) machine to add anything to the firewall. The port forwarding can all be handled by setting it up correctly on the router.

Now FYI the bittorrent client should add an entry to the Exceptions page of your Windows Firewall, but that doesn't affect port forwarding one bit.

PBrane
2007-01-19, 05:00 PM
Not sure I should hijack this thread with my own Firewall problem, but I'm going to anyway. I'm really hacked off being continuously firewalled. I have chosen a port (52111) and entered it in Azereus and one of the internet port testers says the ports open, but I 'm still Firewalled. I have the freebie Zone alarm and there is nothing in there that allows me to identify a specific port as open. Is this my problem?

Help!
P.

U2Lynne
2007-01-19, 05:21 PM
Not sure I should hijack this thread with my own Firewall problem, but I'm going to anyway. I'm really hacked off being continuously firewalled. I have chosen a port (52111) and entered it in Azereus and one of the internet port testers says the ports open, but I 'm still Firewalled. I have the freebie Zone alarm and there is nothing in there that allows me to identify a specific port as open. Is this my problem?

Help!
P.
You are showing up as firewalled on one show, but not the other. The Swimming one, which you started just 30 or so minutes ago, is fine. The Oceansize one, started over 3 hours ago, is showing up as firewalled. Did you do something to your computer between those times? Try stopping then starting the Oceansize one and see if the firewalled sign goes away.

Jeff B
2007-01-19, 08:05 PM
Thanks for all the help,
I am using windows XP Pro.
I have done everything Portforwarding .com suggested, including getting the DNS #.
I have forwarded the ports in my firewall program also (that really helped my Speed!!)
I still am not connecting to any more people , although I am getting a much faster speed from the people I am connected to.
U2 Lynne --you say to put my static Ip into my router--I will try to figure this out.
also you suggest a wider range of ports to forward --I will try this also and report back, Thanks

Jeff B
2007-01-19, 08:09 PM
One other question I have??
My firewall program only allows me to choose from TCP or UDP to forward--not both--could this be a problem??
thanks,
Jeff

Jeff B
2007-01-19, 08:11 PM
OK my router does has my static IP adress

PBrane
2007-01-20, 02:40 AM
You are showing up as firewalled on one show, but not the other. The Swimming one, which you started just 30 or so minutes ago, is fine. The Oceansize one, started over 3 hours ago, is showing up as firewalled. Did you do something to your computer between those times? Try stopping then starting the Oceansize one and see if the firewalled sign goes away.

Thanks for the response. I have been installing the new version of Azereus, so maybe that was the problem. All the same I sometimes seem to be firewalled and other times not, without changing anything on the PC. Guess I don't really understand the technicalities enough to be able to figure out what's going on. Anyway, for the time being, everything seems to be cool :) :) :)
Thanks
P.

U2Lynne
2007-01-20, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the response. I have been installing the new version of Azereus, so maybe that was the problem. All the same I sometimes seem to be firewalled and other times not, without changing anything on the PC. Guess I don't really understand the technicalities enough to be able to figure out what's going on. Anyway, for the time being, everything seems to be cool :) :) :)
Thanks
P.
Sometimes the tracker gives a false positive to being firewalled. It only does one check for the site when you first connect. However, once it connects you to other users, the bt clients themselves will continually check. So, really, the FIREWALLED warning on here can sometimes be wrong. If you think you are fine, but are showing up here as firewalled, then check yourself out at www.canyouseeme.org