PDA

View Full Version : ? About Putting DVDs on iPod

rherron
2006-12-29, 05:45 AM
What’s the best/easiest program to use (preferably free) to put DVDs on my iPod video? I admit I haven’t researched this at all yet. I plan on going over to the iPod lounge to look into it. What I suspect is that there is more than one program available. Before I go trying to learn how to use the wrong one I thought I ask to see what y’all thought was best. I got a new iPod video for Christmas. I've had 2 iPods before this one but this is my first video one.

Thanks,
Rob

ststephen65
2006-12-29, 08:30 AM
dude if you can fig it out PLS let me know, ive been trying for a month now

weesam
2006-12-29, 09:01 AM
if you got a mac then you can try Visual Hub. It coverts most video formats to most others and DVD to iPOD (complete with iPOD optimization) is one of them.

direwolf-pgh
2006-12-29, 01:22 PM
for windows: AVS Video Converter - nice program for $30
the rosetta stone for video file types - converts each to every.

www.avsmedia.com

common file types supported:
AVI (DivX, XviD, etc.), DV AVI, MP4 (inc. Sony PSP and Apple iPod), WMV, 3GP, 3G2, QuickTime (MOV, QT), SWF, DVD, VOB, VRO,MPG, MPEG 1,2,4, DAT, VCD, SVCD, ASF, MJPEG, H.263, H.264, Real Video (RM, RMVB), DVR-MS, MKV, OGM, FLV. AVS

weesam
2006-12-29, 02:43 PM

PENDANTS' CORNER:

The Rosetta stone was written using only three scripts - Hieroglyphic, Demotic and Greek.

Hardly a good comparison.

A better, and more nerdy comparison would be the Babel Fish.

rherron
2006-12-29, 03:39 PM
for windows: AVS Video Converter - nice program for $30

www.avsmedia.com

common file types supported:
AVI (DivX, XviD, etc.), DV AVI, MP4 (inc. Sony PSP and Apple iPod), WMV, 3GP, 3G2, QuickTime (MOV, QT), SWF, DVD, VOB, VRO,MPG, MPEG 1,2,4, DAT, VCD, SVCD, ASF, MJPEG, H.263, H.264, Real Video (RM, RMVB), DVR-MS, MKV, OGM, FLV. AVS

Have you used this yourself to convert a DVD (a movie you bought) to a format supported by iPod?

Thanks for the info. I will likely DL a demo tomorrow.

Rob

direwolf-pgh
2006-12-29, 05:47 PM
PENDANTS' CORNER:

The Rosetta stone was written using only three scripts - Hieroglyphic, Demotic and Greek.

Hardly a good comparison.

A better, and more nerdy comparison would be the Babel Fish.
:lol weesam - your fired. ;)
----------

rherron, i dont have a video Ipod.
But I have used the program to convert various other file types and it did an excellent job.
AVS Video Tools comes with another program called AVS DVDtoGO - its made specifically for the task you wish to preform - transfer DVD to a portable device.
info page: http://www.avsmedia.com/VideoTools/SmartConverter.aspx

Schnard
2006-12-30, 12:26 PM
I use 3GP_Converter
and it works GREAT !!! Just google it. I can't tell what version I have, it doesn't run with any help files or anything. . .I originally found it whne trying to put stuff on my RAZR, but found it makes GREAT mp4 files for the IPOD.

Hope that helps !

rherron
2006-12-30, 01:46 PM
I use 3GP_Converter
and it works GREAT !!! Just google it. I can't tell what version I have, it doesn't run with any help files or anything. . .I originally found it whne trying to put stuff on my RAZR, but found it makes GREAT mp4 files for the IPOD.

Hope that helps !

Thanks. Looks like it will be at least tomorrow before I have time to start messing around with this stuff. I'll try this one as well. Free is good!

Let me ask one question -- is this an "all-in-one" kind of a thing or do you have to run the DVD through another program (like DVD Decrypter) first?

Thanks,
Rob

Five
2006-12-30, 06:49 PM
thanks for the posts everybody, I'm a new video ipod user & have been wondering about this (PC). I'll letcha know what does/doesn't work for me

Schnard
2006-12-31, 01:47 PM
Thanks. Looks like it will be at least tomorrow before I have time to start messing around with this stuff. I'll try this one as well. Free is good!

Let me ask one question -- is this an "all-in-one" kind of a thing or do you have to run the DVD through another program (like DVD Decrypter) first?

Thanks,
Rob

The 3GP I use merely converts AVI/QT/Video files. . .so if your source is a DVD, you will have to find something to RIP it first. . . I havn't ventured there yet. I don't guess it was a good post now that I think about it. . .but it really is a nefty program. Also I found the original ZIP file. . just google for
3GP_Converter031.zip

and that is the one. Hope this helps!

rherron
2007-01-02, 11:43 AM
I just purchased AVS Video Tools. I have converted 2 DVDs to play on my iPod (the newest iPod video). One DVD was something I downloaded from the net. The other was a commercially available DVD that I own. Both times I used one of the tools in the suite called “AVS DVD to Go” and the conversion could not have been simpler.

One small possible issue that I have emailed them about. When I imported the converted MPEG4 Video files into iTunes they will not play right off (it plays audio only – no video). If I select one of the video files in iTunes and select “Convert Selection for iPod” from the Advanced Menu, iTunes converts it and it plays perfectly. The file format is again showing as MPEG4 Video and appears identical to the original file that I imported except the second plays and the first does not.

At this point I don’t know if this normal or if I have a slight issue. I have emailed their technical support and I’ll let you know.

You can download a fully functional demo from the link above in this thread. It puts a message right across the center of the screen but everything else is the same. I’d be interested to know if anyone else who uses this (or tries it) has to do the second conversion from within iTunes or if it just works straight away.

I haven’t even messed with anything else in the suite, though it does appear that this program will convert just about anything to anything video-wise (even for a phone if you want that for some reason).

Thanks direwolf-pgh for the info.

Rob