PDA

View Full Version : DVD Random (MD5, Text file, Data Disc Questions)

feralicious
2004-12-20, 03:14 PM
Master thread for problems with MD5's, Text files, Data discs, etc.

I'm making text files for DVDs that I'm burning off of my HD and need help identifying what info to put in them that states the video rate/quality.
I figure PAL, and 1.33(4:3) aspect ratio but other than that I'm not sure what's what.
I'm pretty sure the audio just needs to say:
Audio: 48000Hz 192 kb/s total (2 chnls)
Does that work for audio?

This particular one has 2 vob files and I snapped pics of them:
vob 1
http://img61.exs.cx/img61/1856/vob15gj.jpg

vob 2
http://img61.exs.cx/img61/1170/vob22tc.jpg

Thanks.

dorrcoq
2004-12-20, 04:07 PM
hmmmmmmm "G Spot" :D

tritonman
2004-12-20, 04:46 PM
:lol good advice dorrcoq..... he's got it now

jaguaracer
2004-12-20, 05:08 PM
I'd put:
'
Format (PAL/NTSC), Resolution captured at , Frames per second and maybe frame rate.
For audio I'd just put the kbps if there is some compression going on, as is your case.
For your above example it'd be:
Video: PAL (4:3), 360x288, 25 fps, 4.6 Mbps.
Audio: 192 kbps stereo
(as well as lineage information)
That is a pretty complete info, more complete than you may find elsewhere. But more is always better, I find, especially if you have it at your finger tips.

ssamadhi97
2004-12-20, 05:16 PM
Video: MPEG2 PAL (4:3), 352x288, 25 fps, 4.6 Mbps
Audio: MPEG1 Layer 2, 2ch, 48kHz, 192kbps

(ok, the "mpeg2" for video is sort of a no-brainer unless it's a dvd containing vcd content which would be mpeg1)

RainDawg
2004-12-20, 05:20 PM
Yeah, this looks like junk....someone rendered a VCD res mpeg to a DVD? :disbelief

Anyway, the useful information for seeding at TTD is here:
http://www.audiophilia.net/gspot.htm

RainDawg
2004-12-20, 05:21 PM
hmmmmmmm "G Spot" :D
Need some help finding it ;)?

dorrcoq
2004-12-20, 05:41 PM
Need some help finding it ;)?

it's one of those things you may never find, but the fun is in the searching
:D

feralicious
2004-12-20, 05:47 PM
Thanks guys. ssamadhi, how do you know which ### x ### to take?

Yeah, this looks like junk....someone rendered a VCD res mpeg to a DVD? :disbeliefYeah, but it's an out of print documentary so you gotta take it how you can get it. Don't worry I won't try to seed it here. ;)

feralicious
2004-12-20, 05:49 PM
it's one of those things you may never find, but the fun is in the searching
:DThat depends...

dorrcoq
2004-12-20, 05:54 PM
Yeah, this looks like junk....someone rendered a VCD res mpeg to a DVD? :disbelief

A[/url]

it seems to me that this is a fairly common occurence. I traded for some DVD's, and they were actually worse quality than the VCD's I already had. People seem to be under the misconception that putting something onto a DVD somehow automatically makes it "better".
:hmm:

dorrcoq
2004-12-20, 05:55 PM
That depends...

oh???? I'm sure I would enjoy the search.
:D

feralicious
2004-12-20, 08:46 PM
oh???? I'm sure I would enjoy the search.
:D*sigh* Just like a man.... :rolleyes: :lol

U2Lynne
2004-12-20, 08:52 PM
*sigh* Just like a man.... :rolleyes: :lol
Yeah, and they'll never stop to ask for directions! :lol :idea:

feralicious
2004-12-20, 08:59 PM
:lmao: :lmao:

dorrcoq
2004-12-20, 09:18 PM
Yeah, and they'll never stop to ask for directions! :lol :idea:

yes, but once we find it once, we always remember the route :) :thumbsup

ssamadhi97
2004-12-21, 05:05 PM
Thanks guys. ssamadhi, how do you know which ### x ### to take?
Always the one in the "Frame (w x h)" field in GSpot.

(As for the SDE value, encoders are free to set that to wtf-ever they want, and decoders are free to ignore this field. Disregard it.)

btw the relevant aspect ratio info is found in the DAR field (Display Aspect Ratio).

brianfrizz
2005-01-07, 03:59 PM
What's the best way to create an checksum for dvd's (i didnt see anything mentioned in FAQ on this). Thanks.

U2Lynne
2005-01-07, 05:52 PM
Just use whatever program you normally would use to make an md5 checksum of a folder (and it's contents) only this time the folder you would make the checksum of would be the VIDEO_TS folder. I think on the PC you can just right-click on the folder and hit Generate md5 Signatures. On a Mac, I use xACT and you can just drag the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder onto the checksum tab and hit Create Checksum.

RainDawg
2005-01-09, 07:53 PM
PC will only do that if you have mkwact installed. Either way, you would create them with the same program you use to create them for audio files.

Five
2005-01-10, 12:23 AM
a couple more things... the md5 doesn't go in the VIDEO_TS folder. You can add VIDEO_TS/ to the beginning of the filenames so that when the md5 is double-clicked it will check inside the folder, kinda like this:

37b101cf3025917f57757e38ee50c9aa *VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB

Also, if you have a DVD that you've copied to your computer you might want to check that the files on your computer are identical to the ones on your DVD. Sometimes the method to do this isn't obvious... one way is to generate md5 checksums directly from the DVD then check these against the files on your computer.

h_vargas
2005-01-10, 02:24 PM
lol, here we go again. i don't have a problem if the MD5 checksum is outside the VIDEO_TS folder, except that it's easier to be "lost." yes, "lost"... i suspect people are more likely to elect to simply not copy the MD5 checksum onto the next copy if it (the MD5 checksum) is outside the VIDEO_TS folder. i'm not suggesting that people here would do that. but there are always "newbies" who might not know how to copy a disc correctly and may leave out an MD5 checksum that's outside the VIDEO_TS folder, just as they may not burn an included AUDIO_TS folder. true, nothing is usually in the AUDIO_TS folder and that folder isn't terribly important/needed in 99% of the DVDs out there - just like the VIDEO_RM or whatever it's titled folder generated by some standalone transfers. still, the principle is the same of someone neglecting to copy something they don't see/view/believe as "needed." if the MD5 checksum is inside the VIDEO_TS folder, then some such person (maybe a "newbie," maybe not) is less likely to fail to copy the MD5 checksum when they make a copy for someone else.

i have always had MD5 checksums inside the VIDEO_TS folder, as i haven't had any playback problems from those DVDs on my own player, nor on multiple other DVD players i've tried.

but in the end, whatever floats you're boat, i guess.

a couple more things... the md5 doesn't go in the VIDEO_TS folder.

Five
2005-01-10, 03:08 PM
hey, so long as the DVD can play on standalone players I guess it's fine to put the md5 in the VIDEO_TS folder. I heard that some players have trouble with extra stuff in the VIDEO_TS folder, that's the only reason I posted that. I could be wrong.

RainDawg
2005-01-10, 03:16 PM
No, you're not wrong. I have a very finicky Sony DVD player that will NOT playback any discs that have extra files burned ANYWHERE on it, either inside the Video_TS folder or outside of it.

The point of creating a checksum is that people, further on down the road, can take their disc, create an md5 checksum, and compare it to the one posted on TTD to ensure that they do have the original version that was seeded here. There are so many instances of people burning stuff with errors or tinkering with the thing that it's nice for traders to be able to say "this matches the checksum for the TTD seed" and provide a link.

I do not expect everyone to keep these checksums on the disc itself. If you are inclined to keep them, it's best to do so inside of a text file that you store with your tradelist or something instead of putting them onto the disc because, as I said, some players are more picky than others.

I personally check them and then make a note in my tradelist that the checksum matches the one for the TTD seed, then provide a link to the original thread. It at least gives some weight to the seed that the thread contains comments that can indicate whether it's a good show, bad show, etc.

fatoldpig
2005-01-11, 01:48 PM
i normally create a root folder called EXTRA_TS and put all other files like md5, coverart, info file etc. there and burn that folder along with audio_ts & video_ts and my standalone player plays fine.

SeekOnce
2005-01-31, 12:55 PM
So I've been backing up my dvd's lately since I'm planning on reformatting my HD. All files verify OK before the burn, but fails when I check afterwards. This happens often enough with different dvd's that I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my Plextor drive. Tried burning at a slower speed but that didn't resolve it either. The dvd plays fine though.

So what do you guys do in this situation? Keeper or a coaster? I don't mind so much that it failed verfiication but that means I can't offer b&p's of these shows in the future.

:mad:

willndmb
2005-01-31, 01:50 PM
i think it would fail
you DL a file and itsa telling you that you downloaded it 100%
once you convert it and burn it it is no longer in the same format that passed the checksum

RainDawg
2005-01-31, 02:06 PM
You need to give me more details. First of all, are we talking about video DVD or data DVD with lossless data files on it? What software methods are you using to burn the disc? What software methods are you using to extract the data? At what point are you attempting to "check" these files, while they are still on the DVD? What files are failing; all of them, some of them, certain ones?

I'd say if you're having md5 failures that there is a problem that needs to be fixed, but until I have some more information there's no way that I can diagnose the problem.

cmaz
2005-01-31, 02:23 PM
As Raindawg sed, nobody can really diagnose with more info, but i had a similar problem when i first started backing up my shows on cd (and then later on dvd). i was using Nero to make ISO data copies of the shows, and everything burned fine and passed nero's data verification check, but when i checked the files with the md5 verification, they all failed.

What i found out was that in the new compilation box you have to make sure "Joliet" is checked on the ISO page, and "Also use ISO9660 text for Joliet" is checked on the LABEL page.

After making these two changes, i never had a problem again. It even went back on a multisession disc and "fixed" torrents i had previously burned.

SeekOnce
2005-01-31, 03:48 PM
Sorry, should've been more specific with describing the problem.

I'm trying to burn a video DVD that I downloaded from Easytree. I have a Plextor PX-708A and use Nero 6.3.1.20. The torrent came with a md5 file, and it verifys fine on my HD. With Nero, I'm choosing "DVD-Video" under New Compilation and typically burn at 4x. After Nero's done, I recheck the md5 file on the disc. Here are the files that failed verification:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO

SeekOnce
2005-01-31, 03:54 PM
What i found out was that in the new compilation box you have to make sure "Joliet" is checked on the ISO page, and "Also use ISO9660 text for Joliet" is checked on the LABEL page.
Interesting, never heard that this had to be done before.

The "Joliet" box on the ISO page is grayed out when choosing "DVD-Video" under new compilation. But the box is indeed checked if I choose to make a "DVD-ROM (ISO)" compilation.

The "Also use ISO9660 text for Joliet" box is NOT checked on the LABEL page at the moment. Could this, by itself, be the reason the verification fails for some files?

RainDawg
2005-01-31, 04:20 PM
Sorry, should've been more specific with describing the problem.

I'm trying to burn a video DVD that I downloaded from Easytree. I have a Plextor PX-708A and use Nero 6.3.1.20. The torrent came with a md5 file, and it verifys fine on my HD. With Nero, I'm choosing "DVD-Video" under New Compilation and typically burn at 4x. After Nero's done, I recheck the md5 file on the disc. Here are the files that failed verification:

VIDEO_TS.BUP
VIDEO_TS.IFO
VTS_01_0.BUP
VTS_01_0.IFO

Well, that nails it :). Nero is performing re-author operations to the files before burning. Those files are used to store the header information, chapter breaks, menus, etc. The video files themselves have not been altered.

Nero sometimes changes things in the header files to fit to certain standards that the DVD authoring process may not have addressed. I would be willing to bet that if you burned it as a data disc with a VIDEO_TS folder on it rather as a DVD-Video that it would verify the md5s perfectly. It also, however, may have a bit less compatibility on standalone players, as some are more picky about playing out-of-standard discs than others.

Give it a try, see if it plays on your standalone, and report back.

h_vargas
2005-01-31, 06:53 PM
ummm, call me crazy, but every time i've ever used Nero to burn a "DVD-Video" disc, it will NOT allow the MD5 to be burned onto the disc. an error message immediately pops up telling me that it isn't a standard DVD file (or some such message), i click "OK" and the file (MD5 checksum) is NOT burned onto the DVD-video disc.

very strange problem, seeing as i don't think Nero will allow an MD5 to be burned to a DVD-video disc.

p.s. i sort of doubt that Nero is re-authoring or changing any header information, assuming the files (VOBs etc.) were compliant with DVD specs. if they aren't compliant, then it may very well be re-encoding/authoring the video.

uhclem
2005-01-31, 08:00 PM
As Raindawg sed, nobody can really diagnose with more info, but i had a similar problem when i first started backing up my shows on cd (and then later on dvd). i was using Nero to make ISO data copies of the shows, and everything burned fine and passed nero's data verification check, but when i checked the files with the md5 verification, they all failed.

After making these two changes, i never had a problem again. It even went back on a multisession disc and "fixed" torrents i had previously burned.
It sounds to me like Nero was burning the data files with truncated file names. Since the file names were no longer the same as the ones in the md5 file, the md5 verification failed. By making sure Joliet was turned on you allowed Nero to burn long file names as found in the md5 files. When the md5 checks failed were you getting 'file missing' errors, as opposed to 'checksum failed' errors?

SeekOnce
2005-01-31, 09:34 PM
Well, that nails it :). Nero is performing re-author operations to the files before burning. Those files are used to store the header information, chapter breaks, menus, etc. The video files themselves have not been altered.

Nero sometimes changes things in the header files to fit to certain standards that the DVD authoring process may not have addressed. I would be willing to bet that if you burned it as a data disc with a VIDEO_TS folder on it rather as a DVD-Video that it would verify the md5s perfectly. It also, however, may have a bit less compatibility on standalone players, as some are more picky about playing out-of-standard discs than others.

Give it a try, see if it plays on your standalone, and report back.
Cool, burning it as a data disc worked! All files verified OK. Haven't tried it on a standalone yet, but I don't care. As long as md5 checks pass, I'm good.

Bravo RainDawg. :clap:

RainDawg
2005-02-01, 07:17 AM
ummm, call me crazy, but every time i've ever used Nero to burn a "DVD-Video" disc, it will NOT allow the MD5 to be burned onto the disc. an error message immediately pops up telling me that it isn't a standard DVD file (or some such message), i click "OK" and the file (MD5 checksum) is NOT burned onto the DVD-video disc.

very strange problem, seeing as i don't think Nero will allow an MD5 to be burned to a DVD-video disc.

p.s. i sort of doubt that Nero is re-authoring or changing any header information, assuming the files (VOBs etc.) were compliant with DVD specs. if they aren't compliant, then it may very well be re-encoding/authoring the video.

You're right, it will not allow you to burn an md5 file. I keep these in an archive on my hard drive. Like I said, Nero's DVD-Video burner does extra checks to make sure all standards are met, which is why it will sometimes edit the authored info files (not the VOBs themselves). One case of this is where people edit the header to say NTSC even when the video itself is in PAL. This will "trick" some DVD players into playing the video even though they technically do not play PAL. Nero will notice that the header information is incorrect and instead replace it with a header that says NTSC....thus ruining the md5 check for those files.

Nero WILL re-encode video files that are out of standard, but that is not the case here. That takes quite some time, and would be obvious to the user. It will, however, alter some of the information stored in the info files (aka reauthoring) and will do so without shooting up a warning in any way to the user that this has happened. Again, we are not talking about the main .VOB files here, as those passed md5 fine and Nero did not alter those in any way.

I would say burn as a data disc and make sure that your standalone can play the discs that way. Nero was absolutely "correcting" something when burning as a DVD-Video, but this may or may not be something that causes your specific player to freak out. My older Sony is VERY finicky, and I can't burn with extra files (md5s) or altered headers at all, lest it won't play the discs. I always use Nero and allow it to set everything correctly for me, accepting that the info files will no longer pass the md5.

SeekOnce, please let us know what brand your DVD player is, and whether the disc is playable and passes md5.....just for my own curiosity ;).

SeekOnce
2005-02-01, 06:53 PM
You're right, it will not allow you to burn an md5 file. I keep these in an archive on my hard drive. Like I said, Nero's DVD-Video burner does extra checks to make sure all standards are met, which is why it will sometimes edit the authored info files (not the VOBs themselves). One case of this is where people edit the header to say NTSC even when the video itself is in PAL. This will "trick" some DVD players into playing the video even though they technically do not play PAL. Nero will notice that the header information is incorrect and instead replace it with a header that says NTSC....thus ruining the md5 check for those files.

Nero WILL re-encode video files that are out of standard, but that is not the case here. That takes quite some time, and would be obvious to the user. It will, however, alter some of the information stored in the info files (aka reauthoring) and will do so without shooting up a warning in any way to the user that this has happened. Again, we are not talking about the main .VOB files here, as those passed md5 fine and Nero did not alter those in any way.

I would say burn as a data disc and make sure that your standalone can play the discs that way. Nero was absolutely "correcting" something when burning as a DVD-Video, but this may or may not be something that causes your specific player to freak out. My older Sony is VERY finicky, and I can't burn with extra files (md5s) or altered headers at all, lest it won't play the discs. I always use Nero and allow it to set everything correctly for me, accepting that the info files will no longer pass the md5.

SeekOnce, please let us know what brand your DVD player is, and whether the disc is playable and passes md5.....just for my own curiosity ;).
Err, you're not confusing me with h_vargas, right RainDawg? :)

My standalone dvd player is a Toshiba SD-1600. It's ancient and it refuses to recognize dvd+r's. The files did indeed pass md5 check so I'm a happy camper.

willndmb
2005-02-01, 07:08 PM
bottom line is it actually goodthat nero does that because otherwise we would have a bunch of people that couldn't get discs to play

smurphy
2005-03-04, 03:53 PM
I am using Nero Express 6 and was wondering if anyone has been able to successfully burn .md5 and .txt files to the root directory using this program. I found a topic in the Tecnobabble Archive releating to this but none of the comments specified Nero Express.

When I try to add any file that is not an .ifo, .vob, or .bup I get the following error message:

No compatible file found.

I've tried adding the 'extra' files to the root, VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders with no luck. Does Nero Express just suck or am I missing something? :hmm: Thanks in advance.

wazoo2u
2005-03-04, 06:49 PM
Don't know about "Express", but Nero 6.6 has no problem with adding .md5's or .nfo/txt files to the root of a DVD video compilation. It won't let me add them to the VIDEO_TS subdirectory, but that's all.

BTW, do you know that you need to edit your MD5's to include a path

" \VIDEO_TS" in your checksums so you can run the MD5 from the root and check the files in VIDEO_TS......

Maybe you need to dig up a full version of Nero ??

Five
2005-03-04, 11:00 PM
I don't know if it works but I saw fatoldpig post that he burns a data disc with VIDEO_TS, empty AUDIO_TS, and dumps all the other stuff in a folder called EXTRAS_TS and that works with standalone players.

oh, and you should probably finalize the disc.

RainDawg
2005-03-07, 07:49 AM
Nero Express ( I use this exclusively) can do this, but you need to burn a data DVD project and add the Video_TS, blank Audio_TS, and extra files into the root by hand. Note that these extra files make it a "non-standard" DVD, and as such some finicky players will refuse to read them. My Sony does not work when extra files like this are added, though most cheaper (read: hackable) players have no issue with them. Test this to make sure it works on your personal standalone.

Also, never do this when burning discs for other people in a trade, as it's rude to presume they have a player that can read out of standard discs. Only burn these for personal use.

smurphy
2005-03-07, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was able to burn a disc with the .txt, .md5 and .jpg coverart to the root using RainDawg's method. The disc then played fine with WinDVD on the computer but failed when I tried it in my Sony DVD player. I got the 'no disc' error.

Until I "upgrade" my standalone DVD player to one the plays a wider range of discs (my Sony DVD player plays all DVD-R and DVD+R I've tried but won't play a single CDR), I will continue to burn standard discs (without the extra files) and save the extras on the HD for seeding.

pawel
2005-03-07, 05:10 PM
"No disc" error can only be caused if the disc wasn't burnt as 'DVD-Video'.

BTW: I notice strange problem with burning DVDs under Nero 6.6.0.6. All BUP and IFO files are changed, and do not match md5 verification! The change is subtle, just one bit (?) when compared in a hex editor - the file size is not changed. However, disc play without any problem.

Any explanation?

wazoo2u
2005-03-07, 05:41 PM
"No disc" error can only be caused if the disc wasn't burnt as 'DVD-Video'.

BTW: I notice strange problem with burning DVDs under Nero 6.6.0.6. All BUP and IFO files are changed, and do not match md5 verification! The change is subtle, just one bit (?) when compared in a hex editor - the file size is not changed. However, disc play without any problem.

Any explanation?

I just burned the Beatles DVD's using Nero 6.6.0.6 with the md5's in the root, and all of my files hashed checked against the originals. I was paying scrupulous attention to this, because I wanted to transport the discs, image them with DVD Decrypter and make a few copies using another machine. I imaged them, and extracted the image for test purposes, and the md5's STILL hash checked against the originals burned with Nero.

Don't know what your problem is. Are you changing the original file dates in the "compilation properties" settings ? I don't know any other Nero setting that would alter the file in any way.

wazoo2u
2005-03-07, 05:44 PM
Nero Express ( I use this exclusively) can do this, but you need to burn a data DVD project and add the Video_TS, blank Audio_TS, and extra files into the root by hand. Note that these extra files make it a "non-standard" DVD, and as such some finicky players will refuse to read them. My Sony does not work when extra files like this are added, though most cheaper (read: hackable) players have no issue with them. Test this to make sure it works on your personal standalone.

Also, never do this when burning discs for other people in a trade, as it's rude to presume they have a player that can read out of standard discs. Only burn these for personal use.

Stephen,

How do you set the path for the MD5's if you're placing them in the "EXTRAS_TS" folder ?? When I put them in the root, I simply append a "VIDEO_TS\" before the file name, but when I try that in the Extras folder, it doesn't point to the Video_TS subdirectory. What am I overlooking (I suck at logic sometimes :confused: )

pawel
2005-03-07, 07:18 PM
Are you changing the original file dates in the "compilation properties" settings ?

No, at all, and it's really strange as some discs are burnt without any change. Weird for sharing discs :mad: I wonder if it has something with hard disc partition type - I have NTFS.

I just registered at videohelp.com and will try to find answer there as well.

RainDawg
2005-03-07, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was able to burn a disc with the .txt, .md5 and .jpg coverart to the root using RainDawg's method. The disc then played fine with WinDVD on the computer but failed when I tried it in my Sony DVD player. I got the 'no disc' error.
Yeah, my Sony player does the same thing...thinks for a few seconds and then says "no disc". Sometimes it says "the disc may be dirty", but that's rare :wtf: .

By the way, most cheaper players will run through these fine. Sony has extra checks for compliance to standards, presumably to prevent people from inserting pirated discs. The cheaper players (Apex, Mintek, etc) just don't have these extra "features" and tend to play anything you put in them, standard or not. How's that for a bit of reverse logic? Anyhow, if you're thinking of "upgrading", you can do so for around $40 - $50 these days with one of those brands, and most of them will do out-of-standard, PAL, VCD, SVCD, and even DivX too.

RainDawg
2005-03-07, 10:51 PM
How do you set the path for the MD5's if you're placing them in the "EXTRAS_TS" folder ?? When I put them in the root, I simply append a "VIDEO_TS\" before the file name, but when I try that in the Extras folder, it doesn't point to the Video_TS subdirectory. What am I overlooking (I suck at logic sometimes :confused: )
Hmmm...I actually don't add extra files to any of my discs, as it causes my player to refuse to play them. Many people on this board do, and I've heard of adding an extras_ts folder as well as just putting the extra files into the root of the disc while adding video_ts and audio_ts underneath of it. I would try either of these and see which your DVD player is willing to accept. They are all finicky in their own ways, and since we're dealing with out-of-standard DVDs, there's no telling what problems might arise by doing this.

Like I said, I can't really point you in any direction though, as I always burn in standard discs for myself. I keep the info files in my online tradelist/database site, and rarely ever archive artwork (just not interested in it and not worth the effort to me).

U2Lynne
2005-03-07, 10:59 PM

Any explanation?
I have heard of this happening. A thread was started here about it happening using Toast Titanium (a Mac CD/DVD burning app) and then some people chimed in about it happening on PCs also. I think I've also seen a couple of other threads that mentioned it. Try doing a search in Techno and see what comes up.

Five
2005-03-07, 11:17 PM
I remember that thread...

as I recall the solution was to burn burn as data disc not a video disc.

bpurvis
2005-04-16, 03:11 PM
im new to the traders den but certainly not new to trading, so hello all.

ive recently received a few dvdrs in trades that are not in the same format as the original torrent seeds on this site. i.e. the files (IFO,BUP,VOB) on the discs are not the same names and or sizes. Most didn't even have md5's or txt files either (BUT thats another secondary point to be dealt with).

From what i can gather someone along the line has simply dropped the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder into some dvd software and re-authored the dvd. For those of you who understand what im talking about this means that the (IFO,BUP,VOB) files are not the same as the original (1 title sequence has become 7 in one case. 1 title sequence for each original vob in the source). In other words content has stayed the same but the show has been physically changed. This is analogous to taking a SHN show and rearranging the track boundaries and then trading it again (without the text file and md5's to boot).

Theres absolutely no way this would be an acceptable practice in trading SHNs :nono:

Sooo, is there a document somewhere that covers these things (i.e how to properly copy a dvd) or is this something that we need to put together ? I would be more than willing to do this but i need to make sure that im not duplicating efforts other places. If we do put together a document, we can also put together specific instructions for properly copying dvds using specific brands of software, depending on what people are using.

It benefits us ALL to help make sure that everyone is aware of the proper way to copy these shows.

Suggestions, solutions, pointers to this information already ?
Thanks !

BP

(sorry if this has already been covered but i did a search and couldn't come up with any hits on this subject. )

Drewa311
2005-04-16, 03:35 PM
isnt that a data disc, like a back-up, i know thats not uncommon in dvdr trading

AAR.oner
2005-04-16, 03:44 PM
i've encountered the same problems at times...unfortunately, dvd trading hasn't "monitored" itself to the extent audio trading has...i could be wrong, but i actually haven't seen many guides to trading DVD shows...it definitely needs to be addressed at this point though...

i am currently putting together a comprehensive "Newbie's Guide to Trading", with everything from setting up software preferences to ettiquette to brands of discs...i haven't even approached the dvd format yet, but definitely should...maybe we could all pool resources and get something together re: the subject...maybe this thread'll spark some talk?!

as a side note, this is technically not in the right forum...it should be in Technobabble...not a big deal though, i'll just alert the mods to move it over there...good topic though...lets see what some of the others say...cheers!

spontabmark
2005-04-16, 03:51 PM
i don't see how DVDs can be monitored in this way as many DVDs are from VHS and there is no correct or original authoring, that is if i'm understanding this thread correctly

AAR.oner
2005-04-16, 04:02 PM
i don't see how DVDs can be monitored in this way as many DVDs are from VHS and there is no correct or original authoring, that is if i'm understanding this thread correctly

DVDs can be properly monitored in the sense that once authored to DVD, no changes should occur [as bpurvis noted--one sequence becoming seven, etc]

re: VHS sourced material, the lineage should be clear and exact about the generation of the tape, the equipment used to transfer fom VHS to computer, and the programs used to capture/author...once authored, a md5 should be made in order to verify [just like with audio shows]

dvd trading needs to be held to the same standards as audio...once "encoded" and authored, no changes should ever occur...a text file with ALL the proper info should be included [ESPECIALLY lineage] and a .md5 checksum...otherwise, all you got is a VIDEO_TS folder and nothing to verify what you actually have is the same...

ozzyzak
2005-04-16, 04:12 PM
Just curious in regards....how do you ensure that it is the same when you make a copy for someone else? I've heard that burning programs slightly modify the IFO files. Maybe I just read wrong somewhere along the line. I'm totally with it on the md5 part but do burning programs change IFOs even in the slightest?

spontabmark
2005-04-16, 04:13 PM
are we talking about just torrenting DVDs or DVD trading as a whole? surely there will be many different people with VHS of a particular show that will author it themselves, hence, meaning different DVD files. does that mean once one person has authored a DVD of it no one else should and the only DVD that should be traded is that one? and what about if someone authors a DVD with no chapters or chapters every 5 mins, is that no allowed to be reauthored for correct chapters? sorry, just trying to understand what is meant :)

smurfatefrog
2005-04-16, 04:13 PM
Firstly when authoring a DVD it is always handy to at least have the generation on the menu somewhere, I have way to many vid(x)'s which I'm sure when authored were from known gens.
Secondly, I agree that a DVD shouldnt be re-authored, except for standalone menus & no correct chapter points. In these cases if I really like the DVD I will re-author it which changes the files, but then I will at least try note the author & DVDR gen if possible.

Most communities are so unorgnaised & couldnt care less, they should all take a note from Nirvana's book ;)

Ozzyzak: Surely MD5's of your disc & the burnt disc will show if there are any differences.
I think Nero is the main file modifier, it re-arranges to make the DVD more compatible, it says "no files modified" but i think it does change them, I may be wrong there though

bpurvis
2005-04-16, 05:11 PM
re: programs modifying various files.

I think the main problem here is "how" you are instructing the program to burn the dvd. Most dvd software will allow you to make a "data" disc and a "dvd-video" disc. What people dont understand is that a "dvd-video" disc is STILL a "data" disc, it just conforms to a specific naming/directory scheme. All the files in the VIDEO_TS directory have to be the right format and properly named, etc.

I *believe* the UDF format is the native format for dvds. I *believe* the UDF format is just some additional info on top of an ISO-9660 format. I *believe* CONSUMER decks wont recognize a dvd unless it has the additonal UDF data. (i could be wrong though, i need to check these or someone who knows please correct me, and provide a link to the details so we can all get learned ;) ).

Personally i use nero (when im not using linux) and i DONT choose the dvd-video option when burning. I use the DVD-ROM UDF/ISO hybrid option and burn the files IN THE PROPER DVD FORMAT and i have no trouble watching them on my computer and others have told me they have no problems on consumer decks. I also only have to burn one disc as the archive is also watchable. it also doesnt touch the files. why should it, if it did nobody would use it. Would you want some program twiddling the bits on your data discs ?

Now if you use the "dvd-video" option who knows what it might do because the watchability of the video is the point in that case, not the integrity of the "data".

NOW, to confuse things even more, If you are "authoring" a dvd (from the files you downloaded) with the software then it assumes you are creating the disc from scratch and ALL bets are off for an exact copy at that point.

hope that makes sense and i didnt screw anything up, please correct me if i did.

So, yeah we definitely need to put together some info on this and explain the options and results to people, especially how to get an exact copy.

U2Lynne
2005-04-16, 05:12 PM
Moving to Technobabble where you should get more people involved in the discussion.

smurfatefrog
2005-04-16, 05:21 PM
AFAIK some standalone DVD players definately cant play DVDs burnt as data discs, but I'd say players made in the last 12-18 months shouldnt have problems playing them

bpurvis
2005-04-16, 06:11 PM
AFAIK some standalone DVD players definately cant play DVDs burnt as data discs, but I'd say players made in the last 12-18 months shouldnt have problems playing them

ok, i think you missed the point. go back and read my earlier post and you'll see, EVERY dvd IS a "data" disc. Its the FORMAT of that data on the disc that counts. When you burn a DVD-VIDEO compliant disc you are simply burning a data disc in the DVD-VIDEO format.

See, with audio cdrs, you can burn an audio disc which is an entirely different format from ISO-9660 (data/CD-ROM,etc). The sectors are a different length i believe and there is less CRC data (error checking) for each sector since the actual data integrity isnt the issue, its the listenability.

With SHN/data discs (ISO-9660 format) there is an actual filesystem structure on the disc, with a table of contents, etc. There is extra CRC information so that bad sectors can be repaired on the fly (as with audios but more of it) because the actual data integrity is the issue in this case.

This is the same with the SVCD/VCD format .There are different modes and thus sector sizes. Ever wonder why you can extract a full VCD mpeg but that same mpeg file is larger than you can burn onto a single cdr (ISO-9660) ? Its because of the smaller usuable data size of the ISO-9660 format. There is more error correcting information per sector (that you have no control over) required.

A pop here and there isnt going to ruin an audio disc, but even 1 bad bit on a
data disc could cause disaster.

ok, so accordingly, there is NO equivalent of the audio format for DVDs.
I *believe* even DVD-A (DVD audio) discs are simply the audio files dropped into the AUDIO_TS folder on the disc. (Could be wrong here).

check this:

"Almost all DVD-Video and DVD-ROM discs use the UDF bridge format, which is a combination of the DVD MicroUDF (subset of UDF 1.02) and ISO 9660 file systems. The OSTA UDF file system will eventually replace the ISO 9660 system originally designed for CD-ROMs, but the bridge format provides backwards compatibility until more operating systems support UDF"

i got this from this link:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
under section 4.2

This silly notion that there are "data" dvd discs and "video" dvd discs and they are wholly separate is wrong.

mike1061
2005-04-16, 08:49 PM
The 2 best sites for this are videohelp.com and cdfreaks.com There is so much info there it's hard to find anything.
Thanks Mike

AAR.oner
2005-04-17, 08:04 AM
bpurvis hit the nail on the head [pardon the old-man expression!]

one thing DVD trading hasn't been as picky about is the "format" its being traded in...most audiophiles [when trading an audio show] don't want it burnt to a cdr as a audio cd...they want it as a "data disc" [more specifiaclly ISO-9660]

likewise, DVD traders should become just as particular...this is because DVD is inherently lossy [there is no possible way to author a video losslessly]...given that, standards should be more carefully watched...i personally don't want a show burned to DVD-Video, cuz then i have to extract it, and that leaves the door open to numerous problems...

the argument will undoubtedly come up that not everyone who trades is an audiophile/videophile and why should us "quality snobs" hold everyone to the standards...but, for those who were trading video back before DVD was around, you know what lax standards leads to...

in re: to changin an .ifo file...i do believe thats true, but not when burning a UDF "data disc"...only when burning a DVD-Video [i'm pretty sure thats correct, but not 100%]...hence, the need to trade DVD in "data" format with md5 checksums, and NOT DVD-Video discs.

AAR.oner
2005-04-17, 08:08 AM
bpurvis...

sorry to continue using the "data disc" term...yer absolutely correct re: the data vs. dvd-video issue...but most people think in terms of data vs dvd discs, so i didn't want to confuse them :D

golfnmusic
2005-07-10, 01:02 AM
Probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to upload my first DVD here. Using MD5Summer to generate my checksum, but when I'm ready to upload to the tracker, I'm needing to include the checksum details in the tracker announce or else the tracker won't accept my announce. The problem is that I can't seem to get a copy of the MD5 signature from MD Summer to paste into the corresponding block of the tracker announce.

For audio's I just use the FLAC fingerprint, which generates a text file that you can copy into that block. Obviously, videos aren't FLACs though, so you must use an MD5 generating software package in order to generate MD5 fingerprints for the VIDEO_TS folder.

So, how do I get a copy of the MD5 signature to paste into that tracker block???

feralicious
2005-07-10, 01:43 AM
If you're on a pc, just right click on the md5 and select "edit" from the menu. That opens it in notepad or something then you can just copy and paste the text from it. If you're on a Mac I suppose you can open it with text editor or simple text or whatever it's called and do the same. Is that what you needed to know?

Five
2005-07-10, 02:20 AM
right-click, open with notepad

and you're off to the races

golfnmusic
2005-07-10, 06:21 AM
Probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to upload my first DVD here. Using MD5Summer to generate my checksum, but when I'm ready to upload to the tracker, I'm needing to include the checksum details in the tracker announce or else the tracker won't accept my announce. The problem is that I can't seem to get a copy of the MD5 signature from MD Summer to paste into the corresponding block of the tracker announce.

For audio's I just use the FLAC fingerprint, which generates a text file that you can copy into that block. Obviously, videos aren't FLACs though, so you must use an MD5 generating software package in order to generate MD5 fingerprints for the VIDEO_TS folder.

So, how do I get a copy of the MD5 signature to paste into that tracker block???

Thank you very much!

thisistoto
2005-07-14, 12:24 AM
I've been having some problems burning dvd's, so I made an ISO image of it, because, that was the only thing i could really do for a couple of them. I have no idea what it is.

TheMamba
2005-07-14, 06:26 AM
It's just what it says it is - an "image" of the disc rather then the files themselves. I believe there are also programs out there that can decompress the image down to the individual files & folders as well.

thisistoto
2005-07-14, 07:10 AM
So burning an image isnt the same as burning the files right?

Ted
2005-07-14, 07:17 AM
I'm not sure how DVD's are burned, but the end result of burning an image and burning the files is basically the same - you get a DVD that you can watch. An image is an EXACT copy of the contents of the CD/DVD, all contained in one neat file.

You can also burn the individual files for a DVD as data. That is, they'll be stored as regular files - just like on your HD, but you won't be able to watch the DVD when the files are burned as data.

Five
2005-07-14, 08:00 AM
you can't watch it on a standalone but it is still possible to watch a DVD burned as data on your computer as you would watch any DVD on yer computer using media player classic (http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/) or VLC Player (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) etc.

TheMamba
2005-07-14, 08:13 AM
So burning an image isnt the same as burning the files right?

What Ted said.

They're the same. The ISO image is just a nice neat package to deal with rather then multiple files and/or folders.

Bad thing about ISO is that older PC operating systems don't like large file sizes and can't handle them well, if at all. If you're running XP you should be fine.

thisistoto
2005-07-14, 01:30 PM
YEa but this is for a trade though, so its pretty important that it runs on a regular dvd player? right? or am i just totally getting the wrong idea here

(thanks so much for the help btw)

Ted
2005-07-14, 01:40 PM
If it's a "true" trade, you won't have a copy of it after the trade. You'll be trading what you have for something that they have - no need to burn, in this case. If you're copying it though, a data disc would be the best way. That way, they can burn it themselves and be guaranteed to get the end product they desire. They'll also be able to trade/seed/whatever those data files without loss to quality. A disc burned for viewing or listening (a video or audio disc) will lose quality when it's ripped the next time (and with each susequent generation). That's why we have the rules on specifying the generation for discs in the lineage.

TheMamba
2005-07-14, 02:30 PM
If it were me getting the trade, I'd rather get a data disc over an ISO.

bigtyke66
2005-07-14, 03:23 PM

You can also burn the individual files for a DVD as data. That is, they'll be stored as regular files - just like on your HD, but you won't be able to watch the DVD when the files are burned as data.

I'm not sure that's strictly true for a Mac. I burn Video_TS folders using the Data DVD-ROM (UDM) selection on Toast,. These play just dandy both on my stand-alone player (NAD) and my computer. In fact, if I use any of the Toast video selections these don't work for a downloaded Video_TS folders. I'm probably out of depth a bit here, but aren't I burning a "data disc" using this method?

I think U2Lynne mentioned in another post about using ISO disc images on the mac for copying DVDs. Now all I need is to find out how to create a DVD ISO image on my Mac!

gsmyth79
2005-07-14, 03:45 PM
I think U2Lynne mentioned in another post about using ISO disc images on the mac for copying DVDs. Now all I need is to find out how to create a DVD ISO image on my Mac!

Burning DVD-ROM(UDF) is different than a regular data disc because of the way it is formatted by Toast. That is a perfectly acceptable way of trading (it's how I do it).

Edited to say, when I copy DVDs on my Mac, I make an md5 off the disc, drag the VIDEO_TS to my HD, make an md5 of the copied files and compare the 2. It works pretty much every time.

The only reason you would need to make an image is of you're having trouble burning (edited from copying) your VIDEO_TS using DVD-ROM(UDF). Lynne's DVD burning FAQ for Mac is here:
http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/burning.html#anchor10

U2Lynne
2005-07-14, 04:08 PM
On a Mac, if you burn a DVD-ROM (UDF), it will play just fine on a computer or standalone player.

Usually, when I copy a DVD for someone, I do the whole "make an md5 or the disc, copy the VIDEO_TS folder to the hard drive, verify it with the md5, and then burn using Toast" thingie. However, there have been a couple of times where I have reeived DVDs that play just fine, however, I can't see the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder. So, the only way to copy those is to make an iso and then burn from the iso.

thisistoto
2005-07-15, 02:20 AM
wow, so much more has just come into my realm with trading dvd's.

thisistoto
2005-07-15, 02:23 AM
and doesnt a DVD+R count as a data disc?

thisistoto
2005-07-15, 02:26 AM
another question: I have a dvd i got in a trade (coventry) and im able to play the dvd fine in my regular dvd player but it doesnt read AT ALL on my computer (i have 2 dvd drives, one just dvd-r and the other is a burner +R +rw etc). All it says is that there is a blank disc in the drive. What gives?

thisistoto
2005-07-15, 02:35 AM
the original disc i have as a video_ts folder in it, so i can just copy it straight to my hard drive right? I dont have to use any fancy pants program?

4candles
2005-07-15, 03:42 AM
From a technical point of view, there is a big difference between burning an image file and burning the files contained in a VIDEO_TS folder, but fortunately most burning software makes this difference transparent.

An image file is simply a copy of ALL the data on the DVD - starting from the first sector, and continuing until the last.

In addition to the actual contents of the files on the DVD, other information such as the filenames, timestamps, locations of the different parts of the files on the disc etc are stored on the DVD. How this information is stored, and how the actual files are arranged on the disc, is dependent upon which "filesystem" is used when burning the DVD. A DVD-Video compliant DVD must use a specific type of "UDF" filesystem and the files must be arranged in a specific order on the disc in order for hardware players to play it.

If you do what most people do and simply copy the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder to your hard disk, and then create a new DVD containing those files, then an image file of the new DVD will NOT be identical to an image file of the original DVD - different software will create the filesystem slightly differently.

This is where problems can happen - if your software doesn't produce the filesystem in a DVD-Video compliant manner (or you don't tick the right boxes), then the DVD may not play in all hardware DVD players. Fortunately, the most common burning software (Nero on Windows and Toast on the Mac) seem to do the right thing automatically, even if you tell the software to author a "data DVD".

But not all software does, and there is some burning software that doesn't even have an option to burn a DVD-Video compliant DVD from a VIDEO_TS folder.

If you want an EXACT one-to-one copy of a DVD, then the only way to do it is to create an image file from the DVD, and then burn that image file back to another DVD. In this case, the burning software doesn't need to arrange the files in a filesystem - the image file is just burned directly to the sectors on the DVD.

But in practice, it doesn't matter - assuming your burning software creates the disc image compliantly.

dirtfloorcracker
2005-07-15, 07:51 AM
OK I have a question somewhat related to all this...

I have been downloading DVD shows here for a few months now and storing them on my HD. (Thanks to all, this site rocks!) I also burn the files to DVD using Nero so I can watch them on my standalone player or computer. Do I need to keep the original files I downloaded if I plan on seeding or trading them in the future or can I just re-extract them from my burned DVDs with a program like DVD shrink? Basically Im wondering if I extract files from the DVD's Ive burned, will those files will be the same as what I originally downloaded.

Along those same lines, Ive noticed If I open one of the DVD's Ive burned using Nero to play on my standalone, I can see the VIDEO_TS folder. Could I just drag that to my HD to make a copy? I know some folks touched on this already in this thread, but it didnt make complete sense.

Thanks in advance for any help, I Have gotten so much amazing DVD from this site and I just want to know how to correctly give back to the community!

gsmyth79
2005-07-15, 11:45 AM
OK I have a question somewhat related to all this...

I have been downloading DVD shows here for a few months now and storing them on my HD. (Thanks to all, this site rocks!) I also burn the files to DVD using Nero so I can watch them on my standalone player or computer. Do I need to keep the original files I downloaded if I plan on seeding or trading them in the future or can I just re-extract them from my burned DVDs with a program like DVD shrink? Basically Im wondering if I extract files from the DVD's Ive burned, will those files will be the same as what I originally downloaded.

For me, it's all about md5s. You get md5s of the files you download. After I burn the disc I remake an md5 of the VIDEO_TS contents that I burned and visually compare that with the md5 of the downloaded files. If they're the same then you're all set. When I want to make a copy I drag the VIDEO_TS onto my HD, remake the md5 and reckeck it. If it's the same, again you're all good. I recheck the md5s again after I burn the disc for someone to make sure it burned correctly as well. It's a lot of md5 making but it works for me and doesn't take that much time.

thisistoto
2005-07-15, 01:30 PM
And you can use shorten to check and make the md5's right?

gsmyth79
2005-07-15, 02:21 PM
Yup. I like xACT, for Macs.

thisistoto
2005-07-15, 04:08 PM
I found that the original dvd i got had a md5 check in it so it owuldnt play on a regular dvd player, so i copied the video_ts file to my hard drive, took out the md5, and reburnt it, and it played fine. So I got that worked out. (thanks again for everyone's response)

But now im having problems with a different DVD. It wont read on any computer dvd reader, but it plays fine on a regular dvd player.

Quux2112
2005-07-18, 10:46 AM
OK, this has got me scratching my head, hopefully somebody here can shed some light on it for me.

So let's assume I download a video in DVD format, and that it comes with an md5 text file. After it's downloaded, all the files always match the md5's in the list.

Now I want to burn them to DVD. What I'd like to do is use imgtool to build an iso file that I can then burn with DVD Decrypter. So I build the iso with imgtool, then to check, I mount the iso with DAEMON tools. The md5's in the mounted version very rarely match. The smaller files always match, but the larger files, VTS_01_1.VOB and up, often don't. Each time through imgtool usually gives different results, and if I spend all night at it, I can eventually get all md5's to match.

A similar thing also happens to me using nothing but DVD Decrypter. I'll start with a working burned disc, and generate md5's for everything in VIDEO_TS. Then I'll make an iso image with Decrypter. Mount that iso with DAEMON Tools, and again, at least 1 of the .VOB's usually doesn't match.

Now, if I do a straight copy of VIDEO_TS from DVD to my hard drive, md5's will match between the two copies, which I suppose is encouraging. But when I take these files and burn them with Nero, guess what, some of the md5's don't match again.

Interestingly, even if I burn one of these "not quite right" iso images to DVD, the end result is completely playable, and I've never noticed a single glitch. However, it's disconcerting and makes me not want to trade anything for fear of poluting the trade pool. The md5's don't lie. Obviously there was some difference between the original and the copy, and that can't really be good.

I've used md5summer and openssl under cygwin to generate/compare my md5's, with the same results.

So does anybody have any idea why this is happening to me? Has anybody experienced anything similar?

I'm running XP on a 1.4Ghz Athlon with 1G RAM. All my drives are NTFS. I can provide more details if needed.

irishcrazy2005
2005-07-18, 11:25 AM
If you do a quick search for "DVD copying" or something of the like you will find several threads related to this. I am not familiar with some of the iso stuff you are trying to do, but what I do know is that if you select a "DVD Video" project with Nero, it is known to modify some .ifo and .bup files (maybe the .vob's too, but I don't know about that). This would obviously cause the md5 not to match. I also happen to know that Roxio modifies only .ifo and .bup files, but leaves the VOB's alone. The answer seems to be to select the UDF/ISO option in Nero and apparently this will create a DVD that is not forced to conform to their specific DVD standards, but will still play in most standalones. I can not confirm this, because as you can see in my recent post in this forum, I have just started using Nero and am coastering discs all over the place.

-Phil

Quux2112
2005-07-18, 12:52 PM
If you do a quick search for "DVD copying" or something of the like you will find several threads related to this.
I've done this of course, but can't find anything relating to my specific issues.

I am not familiar with some of the iso stuff you are trying to do, but what I do know is that if you select a "DVD Video" project with Nero, it is known to modify some .ifo and .bup files (maybe the .vob's too, but I don't know about that). This would obviously cause the md5 not to match.
Various burning software changing the .IFO's and .BUP's I've found plenty about. Those files always match for me though. And if it were just a case of Nero changing the .VOB's, I could accept that and just not use it. I don't particularly care for Nero, and so use Decrypter for most of my copying. But the fact that the .VOB's in the iso's made by Decrypter fail md5 checks is what worries me. In fact, If I create two different iso images from the same disc, they will likely produce different sets of md5 hashes.

DVD Decrypter is widely used the way I'm using it (create an iso, burn iso to disc), so if anybody's done this and compared md5 checksums afterwards, I'd like to hear what results you got, good or bad. Same goes for imgtool.

quux

fatoldpig
2005-07-19, 11:58 AM
.. but what I do know is that if you select a "DVD Video" project with Nero, it is known to modify some .ifo and .bup files (maybe the .vob's too, but I don't know about that). ....-PhilIn DVD Video mode, Nero does NOT change anything and md5 will match the original if you drag and drop VIDEO_TS folder (NOT the files inside it) on to VIDEO_TS folder in nero project. But if you select the files inside the video_ts folder and drop in nero project, then it'll change .ifo/.bup files. I have Nero 6 and I reconfirmed it last night. I have many DVD video's created using nero, using above method and they all match original md5s (including ifo/bup files).

u2rulesmyworld
2005-08-06, 07:09 PM
then sitcky a fucking thread showing how to make them
im trying to upload a DVD and it says they are required and to look in technobabble, well maybe i dont see it but im not on a damn mac and i need to know how to do it for windows

U2Lynne
2005-08-06, 07:30 PM
Sorry Michael, Five has got something in the works. I forgot that it hasn't been published yet. I wrote something for doing md5s back when I was on STG: http://u2lynne.sandsmuseum.com/checksums.html but that one needs to be updated since mkwACT is pretty outdated.

Five
2005-08-06, 07:50 PM
let's talk I'll lead you thru the whole thing. are you seeding audio or video? If audio, what format (SHN/FLAC/APE)?

feralicious
2005-08-06, 08:23 PM
I use md5summer to make my DVD md5s since it will make them the way I like them, outside the VIDEO_TS folder but will still verify everything inside of it. So if I'm making a DVD of my last public stripping performance and I've named the folder feralicious2005-08-05 it will make the md5 directly inside this folder and include everything inside of it. For me that's usually the VIDEO_TS folder, a txt file and an artwork folder.
Some people make the md5 for just the files inside the VIDEO_TS folder which I find annoying. It means you have to put the md5 inside it in order to verify it. I hate that. Cuz then you can't verify it after you've burned it since you have to burn it with it outside the VIDEO-TS folder.
www.md5summer.org

So...
Just open it up, navigate to the folder of your DVD and click on "create sums"
Choose "select all" and then "add" and then "ok"
Wait a while for it to do its thing
When it's finished it will open up the "save" window, just make sure you save it with the .md5 extension and your good to go!

One thing I usually do when I remember is go in and edit it by right clicking on the md5 and selecting "edit" and take out the md5summer references because if you use a program other than md5summer to verify that text shows up as an error and I find that annoying.

feralicious
2005-08-06, 09:19 PM
Dammit, that should have been "you're good to go". I hate those kinds of mistakes.

Chachi420
2005-08-06, 10:00 PM
Easiest way is if mkw software is installed.
Right click the folder and select "generate md5 signatures"
~voila~

U2Lynne
2005-08-06, 10:08 PM
So if I'm making a DVD of my last public stripping performance and I've named the folder feralicious2005-08-05 it will make the md5 directly inside this folder and include everything inside of it.
md5summer sounds like the way to go, then. ;)

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-06, 10:37 PM
i just read you burn a DVD differently when you archive/trade it as to when you burn it to view on your DVD player?

is this so? or did i read something wrong? or what?

thanks, and sorry for the newbie questions

feralicious
2005-08-06, 10:51 PM
~voila~You know, that is a lot easier. I guess I didn't try it for this. I tried TLH and it won't do it the way I like it. Hm... this post is starting to sound like my last date! :lol

feralicious
2005-08-06, 10:59 PM
Not so.

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-06, 11:16 PM
so, I just burn a video DVD for both then, correct?

Five
2005-08-06, 11:17 PM
when it asks you what folder, select the "parent" folder (the one with the VIDEO_TS inside it). This way, you can run the .md5 from outside the VIDEO_TS folder because the checksums will have VIDEO_TS/ in front of them. anyhow, you should be able to get the checksums with the info in this thread, if not just post here.
You know, that is a lot easier. I guess I didn't try it for this. I tried ... and he won't do it the way I like it. Hm... this post is starting to sound like my last date! :lol
do tell! :D

feralicious
2005-08-07, 12:24 AM
do tell! :DOr I could just show you... :)

thisistoto
2005-08-07, 01:17 AM
You can burn it the same no problem. But if you downloaded it off lets say TTD you have to burn just the Video_ts foler and Audio_ts folder without the text file to have it play in a stand alone dvd player

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-07, 01:26 AM
and not the md5 and the text files, right?

that's how I do it when I burn em to play in my home DVD player, but then I read in a thread about you should burn them differently when you trade them, which I had never heard of, so I figured I'd better ask

thanks toto :)

Five
2005-08-07, 04:26 AM
:redface:

thisistoto
2005-08-07, 04:40 AM
~voila~

:clap: :clap: :clap:

thisistoto
2005-08-07, 04:42 AM
Yea some people will want you to burn them the text file and md5's, so you are pretty much burning them a data disc via DVD. Most DVD traders dont require this, so I wouldnt fret about it too much.

I just always make sure that the shows I send out play and are error free.

thisistoto
2005-08-07, 04:43 AM
and not the md5 and the text files, right?

right.

You can sometimes burn them as an ISO as well

AAR.oner
2005-08-07, 08:13 AM
i'ma go ahead and disagree [no offense ya'll]...here's why--

alot of traders, and most serious collectors, want the text files and *definitely* the checksum for a DVD...its the same as when shn traders used to not care about getting a md5, but now almost everyone requires it...plus, despite what people think, burning a DVD-Video and then re-extracting it to trade *can* lead to generational loss, as small artifacts/bits/etc can be lost/added/moved in the process...just like trading Audio CDr's and having to re-extract with EAC. time has proven it's better kept in lossless data format.

plus, we're only talking about 30 or 40 cents here for the second disc, so i recommend trading and archiving in "data disc" format. FWIW, some standalones will actually play a data disc [DVD-ISO], you just have to make sure there is:
--Video_TS folder [with the appropriate video files from the torrent--.ifo, .bup, .vob]
--Audio_TS folder [empty]
--Extras_TS folder [put all the checksums, text files, artwork, etc. in here]

if yer standalone won't play a disc like this, then i personally recommend archiving it as a data disc, and burning a DVD-Video disc for personal watching.

AAR.oner
2005-08-07, 08:15 AM
oh, and a number of programs will actually change the .bup or .ifo files when burning as a DVD-Video disc, so the checksum won't pass...never had this happen with a data disc tho

Ted
2005-08-07, 08:17 AM
So if I'm making a DVD of my last public stripping performance...Will you be torrenting any of these shows?

feralicious
2005-08-07, 11:25 AM
Interesting. I never heard of any degradation from extracting a disc burned as video. Now what if you made an image of the whole disc and copied it? Trade DVDs are obviously small enough to do this with so you really don't need to rip it then burn it. Well I usually do since I won't archive it without an md5 and txt file with all info on it and too many times it doesn't come with anything like this. :mad:
Which leads to this..
Yea some people will want you to burn them the text file and md5's, so you are pretty much burning them a data disc via DVD. Most DVD traders dont require this, so I wouldnt fret about it too much.Sorry Toto but I couldn't disagree with you more. I think it's imperative that you trade with md5 and txt. Same as an "audio" show, it lets you know you have the disc in it's original state and tells you the source and lineage, which is very important. That's why they're required on this site for uploads. Unfortunately a lot of people don't include this stuff. Then when I archive a DVD I have to go look up the info and try to find out where it came from, how was it transferred etc... what a waste of time. It's just like in any situation there's going to be people who are sticklers for things to be done to a certain standard and include all the pertinent info and there's going to be people who are slack and don't care. Like the difference between The Trader's Den and Dime. It's about how much you care about quality.

And yes, as Aaron said, although he said some and I'll bump it up to most standalone players will play the disc with the extras outside of it. Just make sure yours does first and if you're trading ask the person if they know if theirs does or not.

Oh and last but not least... NEVER be sorry for asking a question about how to do things. Be proud that you care about it! :D

feralicious
2005-08-07, 11:40 AM
I would LOVE to! But I use officially released music for my routine so... oh well.

:lol

Ted
2005-08-07, 11:45 AM
I'll host a tracker just for you ;)

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-07, 12:50 PM
okay, so then I wouldn't burn it as a video-DVD, I would burn it as a Data-DVD with the md5 and all the text files?

could someone just do a walk-thru of how to correctly burn a DVD for trade using nero? as in what format/mod to use and what files to put in it

I thought you'd just drag n drop the "disc one" folder into nero, but now do I put the md5 and the text file into it now? and do I put it onto BOTH DVDs if it's a 2 dvd set, or do I only put it on one, or what

thisistoto
2005-08-07, 01:00 PM
Sorry Toto but I couldn't disagree with you more.

oh big surprise there :rolleyes:

I've traded plenty of dvd's and never been asked to burn a data disc. Yet when I archive it for my own personal use I put the text and check sums on there, and if someone requests that i burn it that way, I have it for them.

DVD trades are different than audio shn/flac trades. That fact that it is so easy to create a checksum with a video dvd vs. that of a regular wav cdr is why most people will not ask for those files.

AAR.oner
2005-08-07, 01:04 PM
1. Open Nero Burning ROM.
2. Select "DVD" as disc type, and "DVD-ROM (ISO)" as the project type.
3. Drag the show's root folder [w/ ALL files] to the project window [on left]
4. Burn.

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-07, 01:21 PM
root folder? okay say for example, my fujirock download, thats the main fold- "FujiRock" and then in that foler is "disc one" folder "disc 2" folder and then 2 files not in any folders, one is "fujirock.md5" and the other is "ph 7-31-99 set2 txt."

now, if I'm burning the whole show, what would I do? I would drag and drop the disc one file into nero, and then put the md5 file and the "ph 7-31-99 set2" into the disc one DVD, and then for disc 2 I would drag and drop the disc 2 folder into nero, and the md5 and the "ph 7-31-99set2" text file in the nero also, correct?

someone tell me if I got it right or wrong, and if I got it wrong what to fix, please

thanks for all your help everyone

AAR.oner
2005-08-07, 02:04 PM
correct.

personally, i make a new folder named "BANDdateVENUE" [rightclick on the NEW DISC ICON>>create folder]. Then i would drag "Disc 1" into the new folder. This makes it easier to know which show exactly it is. Repeat with "Disc 2" and the md5, text, art, etc.

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-07, 02:05 PM
awesome, I think I've got it now, thanks so much guys for all your help :)

AAR.oner
2005-08-07, 02:29 PM
cheers!!! feel free to ask ?s when ever you run into one...trading losslessly takes some learning/re-learning...i posted MANY ?s when i first started, still do sometimes

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-07, 02:36 PM
just trying to make sure the people I'm trading to are getting quality stuff :)

thanks again buddy :)

feralicious
2005-08-07, 03:23 PM
root folder? okay say for example, my fujirock download, thats the main fold- "FujiRock" and then in that foler is "disc one" folder "disc 2" folder and then 2 files not in any folders, one is "fujirock.md5" and the other is "ph 7-31-99 set2 txt."

now, if I'm burning the whole show, what would I do? I would drag and drop the disc one file into nero, and then put the md5 file and the "ph 7-31-99 set2" into the disc one DVD, and then for disc 2 I would drag and drop the disc 2 folder into nero, and the md5 and the "ph 7-31-99set2" text file in the nero also, correct?
That's not how I do it. I don't use the root folder. Aaron, doesn't the VIDEO_TS folder need to be directly accessed to play the DVD? It seems that by putting it inside another folder you have less chance of it working on a standalone.

I name the DVD with the show name, drop in the VIDEO_TS folder, and then the txt, md5 and artwork outside of that, not in any folder. Some people say you should put those in an EXTRAS_TS folder, but then the md5 can't be used to verify unless it is moved which is a drag.

Also, if you use Nero I would suggest selecting UDF/ISO since UDF is the new whatever it is (I forgot what I read about it by now) and ISO is older. This way it will be able to be read by both.

AAR.oner
2005-08-07, 03:40 PM
i was referring to a data disc simply for archiving/trading...as for playing in a standalone, yer correct, it probly wouldn't play it.

regarding the Extras_TS, yes the md5 has to be dragged over to check it usually. kinda a drag but only takes a second--i'm just really into organiztion using folders :lol

oh and yer right about UDF/ISO, i need to get into the habit of using that instead of just ISO [atleast on PCs...i prefer Mac and Toast with the whole Mac&PC option...makes much more sense for non-techheads]]

diggrd
2005-08-08, 06:06 PM
okay, so then I wouldn't burn it as a video-DVD, I would burn it as a Data-DVD with the md5 and all the text files?

could someone just do a walk-thru of how to correctly burn a DVD for trade using nero? as in what format/mod to use and what files to put in it

I thought you'd just drag n drop the "disc one" folder into nero, but now do I put the md5 and the text file into it now? and do I put it onto BOTH DVDs if it's a 2 dvd set, or do I only put it on one, or what

If it was me I do both and send it all to them so that if they know what it's all about they are happy and if they don't then when they find out they'll be all set.

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-08, 06:51 PM
alright, another question, is it okay to burn a DVD for trade from another DVD I already burned?

in other words, I burn the show with the md5 and text files and all for personal use/archiving, then I delete the show to clear space on my HDD and then a couple days later someone wants me to trade it to them, can I just burn an exact copy of the DVD I burned previously? or what would be the best way to do this?

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-08, 07:43 PM
okay, I burend the show according to AAR.oner, and it won't play in my standalone

any ideas?

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-08, 07:48 PM
it even says, when I drag and drop the "disc one" folder into the compilation of files to burn, that it won't be able to play in a standalone player, and that I'd need to burn a video-DVD to do that

:-/, I'm close to giving up :mad:

thisistoto
2005-08-08, 07:52 PM
Just dont burn the text or md5 sums on the disc, just the video_ts folder and Audio_Ts folder (if there is one)

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-08, 07:54 PM
or wait, do I justburn it this way, and then I have to burn another for playing in a standalone?

what about when I get trades from other people? I would receive them as data DVDs, and then how would I get them from that stage to the DVD-Video stage

this is so confusing, and disappointing, I thought I had everything already set up :(

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-08, 10:13 PM
oh wait! I think I've got it!

from what tot said...

I burn one DVD to archive with the md5 and the textfiles and everything that I DL'd

and then I burn one that's watchable on standlone DVD player, without any of the md5 files

right?

but then, what copy do I send to the person in a trade? the one with the mdr file, or the playable one? :confused:

AAR.oner
2005-08-08, 11:09 PM
:thumbsup ^^^correct...DVD-Video is for personal viewing, and you trade the "data disc" with the md5, info text, artwork etc...if someone wants to trade, just pull out the data disc you've got archived, copy everything from the disc to yer HD, and then burn another data disc to send.

some folks complain about two discs for a show, but atleast every time the show is traded, an md5 is included plus the other stuff...and everyone knows they've got a lossless copy.

feralicious
2005-08-09, 01:18 AM
If you burn using the root folder it won't play in your standalone for sure. If you want to save on burning two discs for every DVD you get try burning without the root folder and see if that plays on your standalone.

Just name the DVD with the show name, drop in the VIDEO_TS folder, and then the txt, md5 and artwork outside of that, not in any folder. It would look like this in Nero, I think that's what you said you use, but it wouldn't let me make the DVD name long enough for the whole date.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/895/nerodvd7zg.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

For RecordNow! it would look like this:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2741/recordnowdvd2sc.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Then if someone wants it, yes, you can just make a copy of that. They can burn a video DVD if they need it. Or if they request a video DVD you can always make them one.

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-09, 06:24 AM
thanks everyone, I think I've got it now

what about when I need to make a copy of the disc when it's off my HDD though? do I just use "copy dvd" in nero? or what?

lastepic
2005-08-09, 07:00 AM
Want to seed some DVd stuff but have no idea what to use to create an MD5 of a DVD-Video file-What od I need (preferrable NOT command line based)

TheMamba
2005-08-09, 07:19 AM
http://www.md5summer.org/

And for all your other software needs:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_software

AAR.oner
2005-08-09, 08:05 AM
i use md5 summer as well...

but once TLH can create checksums for files this large, that'll be the one stop prog

AAR.oner
2005-08-09, 08:15 AM
what about when I need to make a copy of the disc when it's off my HDD though? do I just use "copy dvd" in nero? or what?

NO. open the disc in yer explorer window > Select all > Copy > Paste to HD > then burn another UDF/ISO disc [data disc]

just to clarify:
"data discs" are the DVD-ROM (ISO), DVD-ROM (UDF}, and DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) options nero gives you. i used to use DVD-ROM (ISO) all the time as my trading/archiving disc format...but as feralicius said earlier, DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) is the better choice these days.

DVD-VIdeo is yer standalone watchable copy...

***but some standalone players *will* play a DVD-ROM (???) disc, you just have to test it. Follow her screenshots above, but i would also add an "Audio_TS" folder to that [leave it empty tho]. alot of standalones need an empty Audio_TS folder for some reason.

LastHonestFool03
2005-08-09, 10:28 AM
thanks again :)

AAR.oner
2005-08-09, 09:11 PM
no problem LHF03 :)

feralicious
2005-08-09, 09:55 PM
Hey Aaron, do you know if there's a way to tell how a DVD was burned when you pop it into your DVD-Rom drive, data or video? They both seem to show up the same in Explorer from what I can see.

AAR.oner
2005-08-09, 10:39 PM
Fera-- PM sent...

re: ^^^, good question. honestly i dont' know. i can *usually* tell by the fact that a data dasc typically has md5s, infotext, etc. but in explorer, a DVD-Video will show up similarly, as a Video_TS and a Audio_TS.

any techheads know anything more? this is a great question we need to explore further...

aikox2
2005-09-22, 10:29 AM
Could someone please point me to a thread or detail info on how to check files to determine if they are NTSC or PAL before I burn them?

I remember seeing reference to tools like Gspot or something that allow one to get details. Does that work with files on a HD or only with a burned disc?

Thanks for any feedback.

Aiko

gsmyth79
2005-09-22, 10:44 AM
If you use Gspot, it will work with files on your HD or a disc itself. I think you can find Gspot in FAQ -> software links.

feralicious
2005-09-22, 12:32 PM
Yep. Just open one of the vob files in Gspot and it will give you oodles of info. Oodles I tell ya. Oodles.

aikox2
2005-09-22, 05:51 PM
Thanks to both of you for the feedback. I will go grab Gspot.

I really should just go grab a player that handles both NTSC and PAL.

Aiko

aikox2
2005-09-22, 09:10 PM
Well, I tried that, but Gspot only gives some info, and does not tell me the frame rate, which is what I need to know to determine NTSC v PAL.

Any other ideas, short of burning it? At this point it's more a matter of learning how to do this than saving a disc. Forget saving time; I've already wasted more time than it would have taken to burn it.

Aiko

gsmyth79
2005-09-22, 10:33 PM
Well, I tried that, but Gspot only gives some info, and does not tell me the frame rate, which is what I need to know to determine NTSC v PAL.

Any other ideas, short of burning it? At this point it's more a matter of learning how to do this than saving a disc. Forget saving time; I've already wasted more time than it would have taken to burn it.

Aiko

It actually does give framerate, look at the red #3 on the included picture:
http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/1104/gspot26nr.jpg

aikox2
2005-09-23, 06:59 AM
Yes, I saw that field, but when I dropped the VOB file from the HD, that field (and many others) displayed n.a. I only got sketchy info returned.

I just noticed that you used v 2.52. The version I found was 2.1.

I just grabbed the updated version and it works!

Thanks again,

Aiko

gsmyth79
2005-09-25, 08:55 PM
:clap:

It's nice to see someone who can fix their own problems. Now all you need to do is get your ratio up. But all in good time I'm sure...

Bucket1982
2005-12-05, 09:07 PM
hi...I downloaded a video torrent from this site.

I used the power dvd to perform playback and it was GREAT...I tryied to burne it to a DVD, but I managed to "kill" 2 dvd's... :(

I searched your site for this .md5 file I found and I downloaded md5summer

the problem is that I get this picture.why is that?is there anything I can do?
I want to write it on a dvd and the playback from the HD is perfect with NO mistakes....

any suggestions?.....

U2Lynne
2005-12-05, 09:13 PM
Are you sure you actually downloaded the whole thing? Did it say 100% completed in your bittorrent window? The errors in the md5 checksum suggest that you have not completed the download.

Bucket1982
2005-12-05, 09:20 PM
yeap...it's downloaded completely...it said 100% and the only choices with double-click were (if I remember well) remove or seed indefenetely...I pressed "seed indefinetely" so if someone wants it, to grab it...

I did ok?.......sorry for bad english... :rolleyes:

Bucket1982
2005-12-05, 09:22 PM
sorry for 2nd post...but I saw that with trader's little helper all the files mached....what does this mean?...I pressed "verify".....

U2Lynne
2005-12-05, 09:33 PM
Um, I'm not a PC person (so I don't use TLH), but I think if it said they all matched, then the files were all downloaded properly.

So, I think the next step is to figure out what went wrong when you tried to burn it. What steps did you take to burn the DVD? Have you ever burned one successfully before?

Bucket1982
2005-12-05, 09:42 PM
this is my first torrent download :D :D so for 2 hours now I'm trying to check what I can find in technobbable section about how they work...and to try to help in the future here

I'm burning cd's and dvd's all the time because I need to transfer my work (as a musician)...so I am a little carrefull with burning speeds...

for the torrent I downloaded, I tried to burn it as a video dvd.I saw somewhere here that is better to burn it as an dvd-rom (ISO)...

what is your suggestion?

Bucket1982
2005-12-05, 09:44 PM
and something else...when "trader's little helper" verifies me the files...
what do I press?I must save it somewhere?....

I'm seeing an "expand" button...what it does?.....(quriocity)... :)

U2Lynne
2005-12-05, 09:48 PM
What application are you using to burn the DVD? If you post that, we can probably get you some specific instructions on how to do it.

Bucket1982
2005-12-05, 09:49 PM
oh...sorry....

heheh....nero 6th edition...

TheMamba
2005-12-05, 10:21 PM
and something else...when "trader's little helper" verifies me the files...
what do I press?I must save it somewhere?....

I'm seeing an "expand" button...what it does?.....(quriocity)... :)

That's not necessary. The MD5 is really used just to double check that you downloaded the show and none of the files are bad.

Now, when you burn them as a DVD (ISO) you can again check the MD5 to ensure that that copying/burning process went fine with no errors.

TheMamba
2005-12-05, 10:23 PM
this is my first torrent download :D :D so for 2 hours now I'm trying to check what I can find in technobbable section about how they work...and to try to help in the future here

I'm burning cd's and dvd's all the time because I need to transfer my work (as a musician)...so I am a little carrefull with burning speeds...

for the torrent I downloaded, I tried to burn it as a video dvd.I saw somewhere here that is better to burn it as an dvd-rom (ISO)...

what is your suggestion?

I burn my shows as DVD (ISO) for archiving and DVD Video to watch. So, for a lot of shows, I have 2 DVD's - 1 Data (ISO) and 1 watchable video DVD. Personal preference really.

alchemy71085
2005-12-05, 10:27 PM
I burn my shows as DVD (ISO) for archiving and DVD Video to watch. So, for a lot of shows, I have 2 DVD's - 1 Data (ISO) and 1 watchable video DVD. Personal preference really.

The only thing I don't understand is why is that necessary? I know it's only personal preference but if you're using the same media for both, they'll both probably corrupt at the same time in 2050 or so...

TheMamba
2005-12-06, 06:25 AM
The only thing I don't understand is why is that necessary? I know it's only personal preference but if you're using the same media for both, they'll both probably corrupt at the same time in 2050 or so...

1. So I can keep all the txt, artwork, and MD5 files together with the data for trading, etc.

2. On the off chance that Nero alters the data files slightly when it's burning. (And, no, I have not checked to see if this is the case personally)

Bucket1982
2005-12-06, 08:11 AM
sorry for the delay...I burned the show on a DVD (ISO) but I'm having problems AGAIN...maybe if I use some other application that does not alter the files?... :hmm:

Five
2005-12-06, 10:10 AM
don't bother with the ISO

just burn as video DVD

put all the files from "VIDEO_TS" into "VIDEO_TS"

then you can verify by generating an md5 from the disc you burned and testing it with the files on your hd/visually comparing the new md5 with the md5 that came with the show

Bucket1982
2005-12-06, 10:23 AM
the video dvd does not work either...I found it though...

I created an ISO image for each DVD I downloaded on my HD and then I choose BURN IMAGE to burn the empty DVD from the .iso I created...THAT WAS IT :) :) :) :) it works PERFECT

Thank you for all your advises and for your time

:wave:

tweakerj
2005-12-13, 02:45 AM
What is a good player and burner for a dvd md5 file, so that I can view it?

Thanks for the advice

TheMamba
2005-12-13, 06:47 AM
An md5 file is not a DVD file. It is a check sum file that you use to verify that whatever you downloaded or burned is the same as the originally intended file.

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=md5&match=all&titlesonly=0

From the FAQ:

It has the ability to reduce any file to a single 128-bit number which is unique to that file. Most audio and video trading websites require the generation of checksums for any files as it has the ability to compare two files and determine if they are identical. If your file matches the checksum of the original file, you can confirm that it has not been altered in any way (intentionally or unintentionally) or corrupted during download. Verifying checksums every time a file is transferred is an essential step in the trading of lossless music.

The DVD files are all of the files that are in the VIDEO_TS folder that you downloaded...assuming you downloaded the show from here.

Unidecker
2005-12-13, 08:09 AM
u'll have to burn it with dvd decrypter to be able to watch it.

Unidecker
2005-12-13, 08:10 AM
wewps my bad and most likely it's an MD S not md5. good luck

TheMamba
2005-12-13, 08:22 AM
Um...what is a MD S? :hmm:

AAR.oner
2005-12-13, 08:51 AM
i think uni meant .MDS file...dvd decrypter uses them with .iso files...not sure what the technical aspects of the file is tho

brimstone
2005-12-13, 10:22 AM
From here (http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/dvdcopy/decrypter/decrypter.htm)
FYI: Creating the MDS File and setting File Splitting to AUTO will allow non-NTFS system to use ISO mode. NTFS is the file system used optionally on Windows NT, 2000 and XP. Windows 95, 98 and ME do not have this ability. NTFS limits files to 4GB in size, often too small for a DVD ISO file. The MDS is a information file that will properly remerge the ISO splits when burned.
In most cases i think the mds is not needed.

Bucket1982
2005-12-27, 06:23 PM
hi..I finished downloading a dvd entitled:"Buckethead 2005-10-21 The Social - Orlando, FL - Merry Christmas From TeamBTP (NTSC) DVD9"

I posted this in the download section as well, because I don't know if there is a problem...

As I was watching the show, I observed an abnormally between the image and sound.they didn't match for a few seconds.no slow or fast movement, but only mismatch(if this is the word) of sound-picture.when the camera changed, it was all ok.

Then I pefrormed an .md5 verification, and it said that all the .vob files(except from the first and the last)were mismatch.

what can I do about this?

as I said, I put this in the download section too, so if there is a "problem" with the file, the person who uploaded it, may inform me that all is ok.

if it's not, what can I do? I use bitcomet, and it shows 100% and it's in "seed" mode, so I guess it's all ok from the programm..

p.s.sorry for the english......greek here :lol:

Five
2005-12-27, 09:03 PM
well, if your client says 100% then what you have certainly matches what the seeder posted... but if the md5 doesn't check, then the set was seeded either with an incorrect .md5 file or a couple incorrect .vob files (as you suspect). the seeder is the one who can answer this question best

where is the announce thread for that dvd?

Bucket1982
2005-12-28, 01:36 AM
you mean the page?...

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16024

that's it.I did something else though.I deleted the .md5 file and when I started downloading again, it said to me that NONE of the .vob files was completed.they all were around 99.7-99.8%.so I downloaded them from there.
now that I did the check again, it fails....again....

Five
2005-12-28, 02:55 AM
yeah, don't bother deleting and re-downloading, if your client shows 100% all your files are identical to the original seeder's.

we just need somebody else to test the md5 which was included on a different computer

Hatfield21
2006-01-25, 08:36 PM
to d/l and burn dvds? i have a 20gb drive (older pc, i know) and i didn't have enough room to burn the last show i d/l'd. do i just need to install some extra space, or put a new drive in altoghther? is there a way to d/l segments of each torrent and burn them as i go? confused here....

thisistoto
2006-01-25, 08:42 PM
Depending on the size of the torrent. You will be able to see the size of it in the first page. Most audio never goes over a gig (usually sits around 700 or 800 mb), most vids get around 3-4.

20 gigs is a relatively small drive though, torrents or not.

Hatfield21
2006-01-25, 08:47 PM
so if they are 3-4 gigs, i'll need 3-4 gigs extra after i've d/l'd them to burn...is that correct? nero says there isn't sufficient space on my hd to burn them, because it has to be burned to my HD, then onto disk...is there a way it can go straight to disk??

thisistoto
2006-01-25, 08:58 PM
no, you shouldnt need the extra space to burn. How are you trying to burn them?

It might need a lil room to build a cache, but it shouldnt be building an image to burn from if its coming straight off the HD.

Try to run a disk cleanup (start > programs > acessories > system tools > Disk cleanup).

After thats done run the Defrag program (Start > programs > acessories > system tools > disk defragment)

Run those two programs, then restard ur computer.

spiritinaphoto
2006-01-25, 11:35 PM
no, you shouldnt need the extra space to burn. How are you trying to burn them?

It might need a lil room to build a cache, but it shouldnt be building an image to burn from if its coming straight off the HD.

Try to run a disk cleanup (start > programs > acessories > system tools > Disk cleanup).

After thats done run the Defrag program (Start > programs > acessories > system tools > disk defragment)

Run those two programs, then restard ur computer.
I think he's probably got his DVD burning program set up to create an image before he burns, which is a terrible thing for those with small hard drives (I'm in the same boat).

My advice to him is to make certain Nero is set up to burn the DVD "on the fly", or whatever the option is to not create an image before burning (I never had Nero when I was a Windows user, so I don't know where to tell him to look for this setting). I never have enough room for a DVD image to be created on either one of my partitions, yet I've had no problems trying to burn DVDs so far.

thisistoto
2006-01-26, 12:25 AM
I didnt know on the fly meant not creating an image before burning, I just thought it meant it was jusr more precise.

Hatfield, unless your planning on getting a new PC soon, I would plump down 40 bucks and get a second 20 gig drive (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148051)

Its nice to have a seperate drive just for your torrents. It wont screw with your OS drive or slow down the read time.

ssamadhi97
2006-01-26, 05:39 AM
(Also do note that for example $60-75 already gets you a perfectly fine 80-160GB drive instead.)

TheMamba
2006-01-26, 06:28 AM
(Also do note that for example $60-75 already gets you a perfectly fine 80-160GB drive instead.)

Ditto. This stuff is so cheap these days that it doesn't make much sense to not buy a larger hard drive. :hmm:

Hatfield21
2006-01-26, 11:29 AM
ok, so try "on the fly" in nero to prevent an image being created before burning or get a new hd for torrents...thanks for the help everyone. I'll give it a shot.

Hatfield21
2006-01-26, 11:44 AM
one more question...i have a 2001 Dell Dimension L1000R desktop and was wondering if it's even possible to install an extra hd on my computer. i don't know alot about hardware and i appreciate all of your help.

bubbybooshay
2006-01-26, 12:10 PM
one more question...i have a 2001 Dell Dimension L1000R desktop and was wondering if it's even possible to install an extra hd on my computer. i don't know alot about hardware and i appreciate all of your help.

yes, you can definitly install a second drive using the slave plug on your IDE cable, i'm sure theres space for it in there, if not then get an external, thats even more easy....

Hatfield21
2006-01-26, 12:23 PM
thanks again! my final question...i saw something about speeding up your torrents by opening ports 6881-6889 in the bittorrent client...how would i go about doing that? it took me almost a week to d/l my last dvd, and i have a dsl connection...

Five
2006-01-26, 12:25 PM
portforward.com

jayroch
2006-03-07, 10:31 AM
:hmm: I remember reading that nero sometimes changes something before it burns. I think it was here in a thread but I cant remeber. I've always used nero and have never had a problem except for this issue.

With nero express when I burn a doulbe layer disc like any of the shows from here that are for dl discs they wont play in my dvd player. They play in My friends players but not my (panasonic DMR-ES30V). It also won't play dl discs burned with dvd shrink which uses nero to burn. At first I thought that it was just my player or bad media. One day I was burning something with slysoft's clone dvd2 and to my surprize it plays fine in my player. After running some trials, Every disc I burn with clone dvd2 works and some but very few burned with nero work. Some of the nero burns play the menu but then have a hard time with the main movie, and some seem to have a hard time playing certain tracks. Has anyone else seem any wierdness w/ nero?

On another note whats the best way to archive some of these vids to insure data integrity. I have always burned all my audio to disc as data but with video I am not sure what to do. Can you copy A dvd video that you have burned as a video and expect to get the md5 to verify, or do you have to archive as data. This gets time consuming when with these dl discs. As in the thread by thisistoto I am concerned about geting the exact data back for thrading purposes. The way I archive now is to burn as data with data verification in nero. Then if I want a copy of the show I rip the Archived data disk to my hd, Run the md5 on the riped data, then I burn the show and send it away. This shat takes forever especialy w/dl disks at 2.4x. Oh lastly do you guys/ gals prefer to trade dvd's as data or as a playable dvd.

AAR.oner
2006-03-07, 06:44 PM
from what i understand, Nero and some other burning programs alter either the .ifo or .bup files when burning as a DVD-Video disc...therefore, the checksum will not verify properly, even tho the actual video content has not been altered...

personally, i'll archive a dvd show as a data disc [DVD-ROM (ISO/UDF)--with checksum, info, art, etc]...this is what i trade with...then i just burn a DVD-Video copy for viewing on the standalone...

i wish everyone traded as data discs, due to the "failed checksums" issue... but it seems alot of folks don't see it that way, and don't want to have to burn two discs... :rolleyes:

jayroch
2006-03-07, 11:14 PM
If nero changes the .ifo & .bup files maybee that is causing incompatalbility with my player. I wonder why those files are changed?

I think data is always best to trade because you just store it away. Alot of my shows would be ruined if I relied on playable disks that get abused/ given away. Could the dvd authors create md5's for the .vob files separatly from the .ifo and .bup files before trading. Then we could at least verify the .vob's considering they are not changed.

I dicided to split my dvd9 shows to dvd5 for archiving because the burns seem to be faster and more reliable. I don't like making coasters out of 2 dollar disks. I'm on a mission to archive a 300 gig drive and most of 2 80 gig drives. It's amazing how fast these things fill up.

While were at it are there good list making programs out there. My sloppy text file list can only go so far.

Thanks for the input.

STLBlues
2006-03-08, 01:58 AM
personally, i'll archive a dvd show as a data disc [DVD-ROM (ISO/UDF)--with checksum, info, art, etc]...this is what i trade with...then i just burn a DVD-Video copy for viewing on the standalone...

Agreed, that's what I do. I also make 2 video copies (at least for DVD5's at the moment$$$) and keep 1 stored away. But most people just want the video, understandable. Home made DVD's are just weird sometimes. I've created & authored my own DVD's...some work in all players, sometimes not. They are just weird.

As for your list question...I know you're asking for a special list making program, but why not use etree's database? It's the best.
http://db.etree.org

Syco54645
2006-03-08, 10:17 PM
i personally can say that i have burned stuff with nero and had it still verify to the checksum (dvds that i made myself when i moved them from my gf's windows machine to my linux machine to be seeded... linux dvd authorers suck). i can honestly say that it doesnt. i am using an older version mind you. k3b doesnt change them either. i have tested it as well.

-Syco54645

jayroch
2006-03-09, 03:50 PM
Wierd, So if nero doesn't change data then what would cause dvd's burned with it to not play when others do of the same dvd. Somehow the data has to be different. right? I've made alot of coasters trying to figure this out. Again this is only with double layer discs, and they do play on some players but not others. It's not realy a big issue it's just wierd and I want to learn more.

I was planning on using the db.etree list thingy I just didn't investigate it yet. I wasn't sure if there was like a handy tool to inport data from the text files or something. I know this was a question I could easily investige myself but I just felt like trowing it out there.

Is there a program to make a que for multiple different burns. Something that you could set up many burns and after each one the program just beeps and asks for blank media. You could back up a whole hd with a number burns or make disks for a trade all in one session. If there isn't a program like this someone should write one.

:) If these are noob questions I expect to be flamed by all the cool and 1337. I must say though I'm getting to be fairly educated at this stuff and consider myself an expert at my newbiness. lol

U2Lynne
2006-03-09, 09:46 PM
Hey jay, this may sound stupid but.... people buy DVD players all the time to play store bought DVDs. However, they don't always play home made DVDs. And, they may play homemade DVDs on DVD-Rs but not DVD+Rs. So, I would imagine it's the same with Dual Layer Discs. Have you gone to videohelp.com and searched on your DVD player and seen what it says about it?

Five
2006-03-09, 10:11 PM
Is there a program to make a que for multiple different burns. Something that you could set up many burns and after each one the program just beeps and asks for blank media. You could back up a whole hd with a number burns or make disks for a trade all in one session. If there isn't a program like this someone should write one.
I need a prog like this, too!

I believe Nero only changes the .bup and .ifo files when it makes a video dvd. you can use md5 checksums to check exactly what is the same/different on the dvd you burned. But like Lynne says, some standalone DVD players are very fussy about media!

jayroch
2006-03-12, 06:07 PM
Hey I was away for awhile but wanted to say thanks for the input.

I've been to videohelp before and although I think that the site is a wealth of info there reviews on some dvd players aren't that great. The reviews for my player are entirely incorrect. My player does play dl discs, just not ones burned with Nero. For now I'm going to believe that it's because of the changed .ifo & .bup files but I will investigate it more when I have time. I would have asked there first but I like it here better.

Five, I'll be on the lookout for a program to create a burning que. If I find one I will post here as I think it would be invaluable to all traders.

Lynne, When Bono winks at me with his boy George hat on it makes me a little uncomfortable. ;)

Thanks again you guys do a great job with this site.

cuzin_jawn
2006-03-30, 06:09 PM
I was wondering if I can burn my dvd's but include the .txt and .md5 files so i can delete from my computer. I want to keep these in the event I reseed something or even in a trade, I know where those files are. Is there a way to burn these on my dvd's? NERO won't let me it says they are not acceptable formats for the video_ts folder. Thanks for your help

Jon

AAR.oner
2006-03-30, 06:31 PM
burn the disc as a DVD-ROM instead of a DVD-Video [i usually choose DVD-ROM (ISO/UDF), but DVD-ROM (ISO) is fine too]

add the Video_TS folder, the empty Audio_TS folder, and an Extras_TS folder which contains yer info txt, checksum, artwork, etc...

cleantone
2006-03-30, 06:33 PM
on a Mac I am pretty sure I have just added the text files into the Toast session and it plays fine on my DVD player. Also, I don't think you really NEED the AUDIO_TS folder. Of course it doesn't hurt either. I think that is for DVD-A.

AAR.oner
2006-03-30, 06:38 PM
many DVD players need an Audio_TS folder to play properly, despite being empty...but you are correct, the only time this folders usually used is for DVDA

Five
2006-03-30, 07:47 PM
you can make playable DVDs using an EXTRAS_TS folder... check this link for some info (where it says "advanced")
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17951

I do this all the time now, works great in my standalone & on the comp + I can run the md5 straight from the playable disc

pawel
2006-04-02, 07:44 PM
NERO won't let me it says they are not acceptable formats for the video_ts folder.
Jon

You have to put additional files outside AUDIO and VIDEO_TS folder, just in root or to any separate folder. Burn in standard DVD-Video mode. Some SA players won't recognise video burnt as DVD-ROM (UDF).

chewie420
2006-04-09, 02:38 PM
i was wondering, when you trade shn or flac discs, you have the text file, md5 and whatever other info that goes with it on the disc with the tracks, right? so what about the same for dvd's? most people i've talked to don't keep that info, so when you trade for it, you're out of luck. if you're trading dvd's, should you trade them as data discs so you can include that info? i burn reg copies to watch and data copies with all the info and covers i have for each show and archive them with my shn & flac discs. i'm currently starting a vine, and i'm going to send data discs out. the viners can copy the files to their comp and burn them from there along with getting the info, etc... is this "bad ettiqutte" or frowned upon? should you send regular dvd discs and let them fend for themselves? i haven't really seen a standard set for this. does anyone upload text files & md5s to etree, like for audio discs? hmmm.......

AAR.oner
2006-04-09, 03:41 PM
i always archive everything possible...one day dvd traders will finally see the need for checksums like flac traders have

seed it in data fomat :thumbsup

chewie420
2006-04-09, 09:19 PM
cool, my thoughts exactly. i think i'm gonna start trading that way too. if i'm gonna take the time to burn and trade, i want all the info that goes with it just like in my audio collection. i'm gonna look into making a repository site for text files & md5's, nothing else. just a list / small archive for dvds in circulation. i'll keep you posted...

dialect
2006-04-10, 03:40 AM
you can create a folder, name it something like "EXTRAS"

and the dvd will still play in any player, but in a computer, the extras folder will be there. i don't think too many people know about that. and it WILL work in a dvd player... i can't stress that enough... it WILL

Gibblet
2006-04-10, 07:51 PM
I burn Data using Nero express- and I add the VIDEO_TS, Text file, MD5, and a cover if I have one. I don't use any extra folders unless I need to- and it plays fine on my DVD player. I always ask on a trade or B&P though, some players won't play them (from what I understand)- of course I use a 80 dollar Go-Video VHS/DVD player from walmart. Funny the cheaps will play anything you put in them. Also burning DVD this way saves a lot of bullshit clutter in the pc. I think when using Nero Burning Rom I select the UDF/ISO compilation to do the same things. I like verifying dvds because I'm starting to notice "upgrades" on some GD and Phish Shows. Sometimes you have to ignore the warning that Nero tells you about adding video files, they work just fine.

Gibblet

retired
2006-04-12, 09:27 AM
does anyone upload text files & md5s to etree, like for audio discs? hmmm.......
i dont believe so, because of etree's "anti-video" policy :disbelief

...one day dvd traders will finally see the need for checksums like flac traders have
thats why we're here and not at Dime :D

retired
2006-04-12, 09:32 AM
you can create a folder, name it something like "EXTRAS"
and the dvd will still play in any player, but in a computer, the extras folder will be there. i don't think too many people know about that. and it WILL work in a dvd player... i can't stress that enough... it WILL
If i burn a data and put all the items (vts, ats, md5, text) in a master folder, the disc won't play...however, if i burn them without them being in a master folder, plays fine, regardless of the other info being on there...my experience to date :thumbsup

GregY
2006-04-12, 05:40 PM
It's a bit more complicated than that. Regardless, I believe the 'higher-ups' there are working on getting DVD downloads going.

AAR.oner
2006-04-13, 08:08 AM
thats why we're here and not at Dime :D
:thumbsup

range_hood
2006-04-14, 08:01 AM
All the info burnt to dvd root is no problem on my first generation cheapo standalone.
It's a little bit annoying to have like DVD(3) in the lineage. *.vob is just as data as *.flac

JimmyJon
2006-04-30, 04:03 PM
apparently I can't seed a DVD here without fingerprints..
I made an md5 with traderslittlehelper.. but how do I make fingerprints?
please help.

Five
2006-04-30, 04:09 PM
you need .md5 for dvd... check in my signatre for full instructions

Five
2006-04-30, 04:12 PM
you'll also need this
http://www.audiophilia.net/gspot.shtml