PDA

View Full Version : Kid's PC stopped reading dvd video

marksg
2006-12-25, 09:20 AM
Kinda weird, the machine views a dvd-video as an empty CD blank, yet it will read a data dvd (flac folders ) it can also burn a dvd from files on the HD and is totally OK w/ audio cd's. The burner is an NEC ND-3500AG. I have 3 of them in 3 diff PC's w/ no problems ever. I flashed the firm ware in them, that only seemed to update it's knowledge of media. Any Ideas? I did have to clear a ton of spyware and viruses outta this PC, but that was months prior to this issue. :hmm:

TheMamba
2006-12-26, 06:14 AM
The only time I've had anything like this happen to me is when I've been burning a ton of stuff. After awhile, the DVD drive refuses to see what's on the disc - whether it's video or flac/data stuff.

If I reboot, the problem goes away.

Assuming that you know what you're doing with computer hardware, etc. I'd try uninstalling and reinstalling the drive and all of its drivers. Maybe if the machine sees it as a totally new device and you get a clean install the problem will go away. Shouldn't take but 10 minutes to do and it's painless.

randytravis
2006-12-26, 10:38 PM
how old is the drive? I've had a few NEC's and the read capacity always went out before the burn capacity did.

paddington
2006-12-26, 11:36 PM
get him some books?

uploadsbymarksg
2007-01-03, 10:56 AM
how old is the drive? I've had a few NEC's and the read capacity always went out before the burn capacity did.
Drive is 2 years old, and has not been used that much at all. I have 3 of these drives, the one in my PC has much more mileage on it, with no problems at all. I haven't physically removed and reinstalled but that's my next step (can't do it until the kid goes back to school). The funny thing is it reads my dvd's with flac files on them, just not with video files?

Five
2007-01-03, 11:11 AM
perhaps the player software has changed? try VLC and Media Player Classic perhaps. also, I'm assuming you can see the data in explorer on the video dvds that aren't playing, right?

rhinowing
2007-01-03, 11:20 AM
did you check for a PBJ in the drive slot?

ststephen65
2007-01-03, 11:24 AM
get him some books?

lol what an understatement

saltman
2007-01-04, 02:12 PM
When in My computer...... tools > folder options > file types
scroll down to .vob .... Tell us what program is associated with those files.

I bet the file associations got messed up. It should say your DVD player there. Whichever one you use.

marksg
2007-01-04, 08:56 PM
perhaps the player software has changed? try VLC and Media Player Classic perhaps. also, I'm assuming you can see the data in explorer on the video dvds that aren't playing, right?
NO, the data on a dvd full of flacs is viewable. The files on a dvd video are not, it's considered a blank cd. I installed the latest version of VLC thinking maybe I had a corrupt decoder, and I put a trial version of ONES burning app on it. I can burn a dvd-video just fine from a downloaded folder. This weekend I'm gonna yank it out and reinstall it, not sure that I want to swap it with another (my luck I'll have 2 f'd up burners)

marksg
2007-01-04, 09:55 PM
When in My computer...... tools > folder options > file types
scroll down to .vob .... Tell us what program is associated with those files.

I bet the file associations got messed up. It should say your DVD player there. Whichever one you use.
And it does: VOB > VLC. This is where it gets freaky. I put a rented movie in it and it plays fine. Just not a burned dvd-r (which plays fine in my PC) I compared the common file extensions related to dvd against my machine and they're OK

marksg
2007-01-04, 09:58 PM
OH BTW: Rhinowing & Ststephen: she's a freshman in college pulling down a 3.91 gpa, so your suggestions are good, but don't apply. You see, I'm an old fart, I say my kid, but she's all growed up

saltman
2007-01-05, 11:26 AM
Is it possible it's not a dual format drive.... is it kinda old? maybe it doesn't play -r discs. what is the model number of the player?

marksg
2007-01-06, 08:22 AM
Is it possible it's not a dual format drive.... is it kinda old? maybe it doesn't play -r discs. what is the model number of the player?
no it is. It's a NEC ND3500-AG. I had this working great for a year, one of my burners in my PC is the exact same NEC, bought at the same time. It has way more mileage on it than this one, gives me great performance, never an issue.

AAR.oner
2007-01-06, 10:28 AM
per chance, try this trick...i was having a completely different issue with my drive, but maybe this thread will help:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19429

especially nkramar's post at the bottom of page 1:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showpost.php?p=324443&postcount=15